View Full Version : Chronic headaches and antidepressants

Jarl
05-09-12, 03:14 PM
My DS 17 is suffering from chronic daily headaches (more than half of the days, no reason found yet) and the neurologist suggested (tricyclic) antidepressants. For chronic pain the doses are usually significantly lower than when it's used to treat depression

Does someone have experience with tricyclic antidepressants? What effect does it have on ADHD-symptoms and how bad are the side effects?

Is there any other thing we might try and do to treat the headaches? Some supplements that increase serotinin or decrease its absorption? DS is not on any other medication, by the way.

Targaryen
12-15-12, 05:11 PM
My nuerologist recently started my on amitriptiline, currently going up to 100mg, for chronic migraines. I am also taking topamax for migraine prevention and Concerta and Ritalin for my ADD.

I'm currently at 75 mg on the amitriptiline along with 300mg topamax a day and I can really see a huge difference, my head is very quite with regards to headaches.

With regards to ADD I am really a lot better,less stress from not having headaches I assume, I think my ADD is more under control. I am about to go up to 100mg on the amitriptiline hopefully it continues to help.

dasikins
01-29-13, 12:08 PM
I have heard Tricyclic antidepressants have helped some combat headaches. However, the other side effects can be more pronounced, which is why they are not used as often today. That being said they are still a very helpful and useful anti depressant for some.