View Full Version : Adderall and sudafed?

oneup
05-09-12, 05:56 PM
For almost 2 weeks now I have been having inner ear problems apparently and have fluid in the ear and have been dealin with frequent dizziness, spins, nauseau.

Can I take sudafed (psuedoephedrine) while on adderall? I need to try something, fee like crud.

Trying other allergy stuff too but so far not helping or just making me fall asleep (benadryl)

Drewbacca
05-09-12, 06:45 PM
I didn't have any problems taking them both at once and neither did my pharmacist.

Freestyle
05-09-12, 11:48 PM
I was advised by both my psychiatrist, and my mother(who is a pharmacist) that adderall and sudafed would be a bad combo. They're both stimulants, and mixing the two might have some bad side effects. In my case I was looking to take it on a regular basis for allergies, so that could have played into it. While you probably will be ok taking sudafed and adderall together, I always like to ehr on the same side when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Would it be possible to not take adderall while waiting for your problems to clear? Or would your adhd be worse to deal with than your other problems?

js81pa
05-10-12, 05:42 AM
I personally wouldn't do it; it could have unknown consequences on blood pressure and such. THere are places you can go to see what will and won't cause side effects with medications. Me personally, I would wait until I knew it wore off and then take the pseudo or bronkaid, they actually work for focus/attentiveness/energy so you probably wouldn't feel much of a difference.

Drewbacca
05-10-12, 06:50 AM
I personally wouldn't do it; it could have unknown consequences on blood pressure and such. THere are places you can go to see what will and won't cause side effects with medications. Me personally, I would wait until I knew it wore off and then take the pseudo or bronkaid, they actually work for focus/attentiveness/energy so you probably wouldn't feel much of a difference.

Have you taken sudafed? I have never had it affect my focus/attentiveness/energy. At best, it kept me awake when I should have been sleeping, due to the stimulant effect. It certainly is NOT a replacement for a prescribed amphetamine. The difference in dose is probably significant, I doubt that the OP wouldn't notice a difference.

But yeah, I agree about letting the adderall wear off if/when possible. Of course, that probably isn't an option while trying to keep oneself together during a work week. Just follow the usual recommendation and don't operate any motor vehicles, go to work, etc. while taking both medications simultaneously until you know how they interact, since everyone's experience might vary.

js81pa
05-10-12, 03:36 PM
Have you taken sudafed? I have never had it affect my focus/attentiveness/energy. At best, it kept me awake when I should have been sleeping, due to the stimulant effect. It certainly is NOT a replacement for a prescribed amphetamine. The difference in dose is probably significant, I doubt that the OP wouldn't notice a difference.

But yeah, I agree about letting the adderall wear off if/when possible. Of course, that probably isn't an option while trying to keep oneself together during a work week. Just follow the usual recommendation and don't operate any motor vehicles, go to work, etc. while taking both medications simultaneously until you know how they interact, since everyone's experience might vary.

I haven't in awhile but bronkaid contains ephedrine which ramps up the nervous system where pseudephedrine I don't believe does. However, they both can have a certain effect on the brain, to me, I get a sort of calm relaxed feeling. My mom has taken them to feel good and clean up the house so I do beieve, not as a replacement, but it can have some positve effects for some people. If you truly need the medication to get school work done etc. by all means, take the meds and consider your options but most of the time, we aren't very functional when we are sick. We can never be 100% every day, that is why I thought taking a break for a day or two and replacing it with something more mild but fixing the cold would't hurt, of course, this is what I would do, and I'm not you or your doctor. I have never had meds up until now so I consider them as a bonus for me. Am I glad I got them? YES, but I was functioning without them, although not nearly to the level I would like. I am pretty sensitive to stims so it probably just has something to do with that.

silivrentoliel
05-10-12, 05:30 PM
I take Alevert D (generic Claritin D) and Concerta/Ritalin together, but opposite of each other. Like, my meds in the morning/afternoon and the allergy meds at night.

oneup
05-11-12, 01:26 AM
I take Alevert D (generic Claritin D) and Concerta/Ritalin together, but opposite of each other. Like, my meds in the morning/afternoon and the allergy meds at night.

I think this is what I am going to resort to since according to the doctor it will take ~4 weeks for me to get better. Without adderall my energy can be really low and it is hard to function, but even with it I think I would have been too sick to function today, so I tried some different over the counter remedies with the sudafed and slept mostly. It seems like adderall + sudafed @ the same time might be too vasoconstricting? But spaced out it should be safe...

silivrentoliel
05-11-12, 02:09 PM
Dunno about the vasoconstricting, it just made me sleepy lol

hollywood
05-11-12, 02:39 PM
I take allegra D at night , it works pretty good for keeping my passages clear as I have major issues with that. Anyways some days thats really not enough and I start having to swallow hard trying to get that post nasal drip out. It's highly annoying. Anyways I took a sudafed earlier . I do this 2 times weekly as needed. No problems whatsoever. I do feel a bit wired though now that you mention it. Lol

sarahsweets
05-11-12, 03:26 PM
When I bought sudaphed for a cold I had to give them my drivers license!

ana futura
05-11-12, 05:06 PM
For almost 2 weeks now I have been having inner ear problems apparently and have fluid in the ear and have been dealin with frequent dizziness, spins, nauseau.

Have you seen an ENT? I had the same thing a while back, but I didn't take it that seriously and just saw a GP for it. Now I'm deaf in one ear. Ear stuff is no joke, it can get bad very quickly.

FYI dex can make my ear and balance issues worse, especially if I'm dehydrated. If you can, I would cut the adderall out until you see an ENT, or at least until you feel well enough to stop the sudafed.

ana futura
05-11-12, 05:08 PM
When I bought sudaphed for a cold I had to give them my drivers license!

All sudafed is now tracked because it is used to make meth. If you buy too much of it (not sure of the amount- but it's pretty big) they'll block you from buying anymore- and probably call the cops.

oneup
05-11-12, 05:45 PM
I had second thoughts and combined it with the adderall today, so far so good.

js81pa
05-14-12, 12:14 AM
Good luck with that. I personally rather take Bronchaid with Ephedrine + Guaifenesin.
Guaifenesin (https://www.google.com/url?url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000696/&rct=j&sa=X&ei=-oWwT6eKO6bm0QGVxf2ODA&ved=0CIwBEPEOMAA&q=guafenisan&usg=AFQjCNElGNiIyVbR6yIIeLeL3tC7eH8rww&cad=rja), which is an expectorant. I quite like the ramped up nervous system feeling :) But I take this as a replacement, not in addition to my ADD meds and drink a lot of coffee with it and take a baby aspirin (ECA stack). I also keep an eye on my vitals but I really like the stuff, not sure how well it works for colds though LOL, yes, I really don't take meds much at all, only to enhance my well being if I deem it reasonably safe. Keep an eye on vitals when combining anything, that is the rule!

Ps. A few of you mentioned allergy issues, how many of you have them? I have long wondered how allergies and ADD are related, in fact, Histamine-3 drugs seem to work great for ADD but none are on the market at this time. H2 is your general allergies, whereas H1 is affects your acidity of your stomach. I honestly don't know much about histamine antagonists and not sure what H3's role is.

oneup
05-14-12, 05:26 AM
I had second thoughts and combined it with the adderall today, so far so good.

It was ok for a while until my heart rate got up some like if I was really nervous and my hands and feet started to go numb. Actually before that I felt really good. I think I got at least some of the fluid out so my eustuchian tubes could equilibrate or whatever over the past couple days, and don't have the spins anymore. I think naproxen + adderall is healthier and better for me now. Cleaned the house too, so if it is allergies, I should be on the road to recovery soon.

ana futura
05-14-12, 10:15 AM
Good luck with that. I personally rather take Bronchaid with Ephedrine + Guaifenesin.

For ear stuff or general allergies? While I find Guaifenesin helpful for chest congestion, it doesn't seem to help ear issues.

I don't think my ADHD and my allergies are related-
I get my ADHD from my dad's side of the family, and none of them seem to have allergy issues. My mom and I are allergic to a lot of things.

hollywood
05-14-12, 10:24 AM
I think mucinex D works best because it helps you cough the congestion up as opposed to just taking pseudoephedrine.

silivrentoliel
05-14-12, 12:07 PM
All sudafed is now tracked because it is used to make meth. If you buy too much of it (not sure of the amount- but it's pretty big) they'll block you from buying anymore- and probably call the cops.

I think it's like 10 boxes of 24 pills of Claritin D in a day before they'd flag you, lol. I asked the pharmacist :lol:

I think mucinex D works best because it helps you cough the congestion up as opposed to just taking pseudoephedrine.

Depends on what meds you take- I took Mucinex D and the pharmacist told me to watch out for my heart racing- said methylphenidates will cause that. Would have been pretty scary had she not warned me ahead of time.

js81pa
05-14-12, 05:50 PM
For ear stuff or general allergies? While I find Guaifenesin helpful for chest congestion, it doesn't seem to help ear issues.

I don't think my ADHD and my allergies are related-
I get my ADHD from my dad's side of the family, and none of them seem to have allergy issues. My mom and I are allergic to a lot of things.

Yea, definitely not for ear issues, I never knew there were OTC meds for ear issues other than natty stuff that might not work. I just go to the doctors and get them cleaned or get the z-pack it is an infection, however, 10% of ear infections are viral.

Scary stuff though, I think most of my infections are related to ear buds from my MP3 players, anyway, read this http://voices.yahoo.com/cholesteatoma-chronic-ear-infections-leading-total-1021141.html?cat=5 I honestly feel lately I might have something going on as I have been having odd, random mild headaches around the left side of my mastoid. They aren't bad but irritating and I have a stiff neck as well, so perhaps it is that. Should probably get checked as a precaution ...

Some vitamin ideas for this would be anything to boost immunity, especially if it is viral.
-Thieves (Cinnamon oil stuff)
-Oregano oil
-Vitamin D (I like D + K supps)
-Vitamin C (not taken with meds)

For bacteria infections
-Broccoli sprouts help with ulcers since that is a bacteria, depending on the strain of ear infection, perhaps eating broccoli sprouts for awhile might help clear out the bacteria

But go to the doctor and listen to his advice on this, you don't want it to migrate to the mastoid bone or worse.

Mucinex D appears to be similar to Bronchaid

Mucinex D (guaifenesin and pseudoephedrine)
Bronchaid (guaifenesin and ephedrine sulphate)

Of course, the pseudo does affect the ephedrine somewhat, but I believe it is mostly to keep the nervous system relaxed.

WhatsNext
05-14-12, 07:17 PM
When talking to my doctor about starting Adderall, She asked me what meds I was taking I told her sudafed. I told her it was the generic on the shelf one, not the one where you take the plastic ticket to the pharmacy and they give you the ones in the back. The only thing she told me was to take either inbetween adderall doses or a couple of hours before first AM dose. I am on the quick release adderall.