View Full Version : How exactly does Wellbutrin work?

zaremskya
05-10-12, 01:42 PM
Once it starts working after a couple weeks, do it's neurochemical properties just exist in a constant stream? Or is it like an extended release stimulant and everyday you'll still have a come up and a come down?

Chace90
06-22-12, 07:31 PM
The only reason that it "takes a while to work" is because the idea is to reach a steady state. So you have at least a certain amount of wellbutrin in your system at all times. So its possible that there could be some ups and downs probably in the morning more specifically. But you should have benefits 24/7. If you try wellbutrin tell me how it goes I am thinking about trying it I seem to be building a tolerance to Dexedrine. And I do definitely understand the difference between the "honeymoon phase" and the actual benefits of stimulants. I just mean lately I have noticed a increase in adhd symptoms despite treatment.

Chicchick
07-15-12, 05:54 PM
The only reason that it "takes a while to work" is because the idea is to reach a steady state. So you have at least a certain amount of wellbutrin in your system at all times. So its possible that there could be some ups and downs probably in the morning more specifically. But you should have benefits 24/7. If you try wellbutrin tell me how it goes I am thinking about trying it I seem to be building a tolerance to Dexedrine. And I do definitely understand the difference between the "honeymoon phase" and the actual benefits of stimulants. I just mean lately I have noticed a increase in adhd symptoms despite treatment.

I am having that problem with my adderall :umm1:tolerance is a definite issue. Wellbutrin was a great drug, it saved my life. Like 12 hours after my first dose I felt INCREDIBLE, but this is very common with this med, referred to as the "honeymoon" period.. after 2-3 days I was depressed again, but then over the weeks I slowly got better.

hollywood
07-16-12, 09:23 AM
sounds more like you had depression to me . Sounds accurate with your description. You thought something helped and your mind made it reality. The fact is and it's a slippery slope that merely focusing on these forums leads me to believe that one is depressed. It's not normal. Yeah your meds may not be working right but a normal person doesnt sit back and search on forums for answers when it's all so unique. I know I've been guilty of it , so maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but the point is that wellbutrin slowly started to work and you slowly felt better. Depression ? You think. Only thing is wellbutrin doesnt get all the symptoms hence why your not cured. So you may need to add something else. It's amazing what depression does. It makes you feel tired when your not ...Why? Simple. Your repeating the same behaviors over and over and your mind is like see ya.... I"m bored , so I'm outta here , the mind escapes , it knows places where its not happy to so like you wants out. Hence blank mind and cognition changes. You simpley start quitting and start becoming learned helpless. Its a clinical onset of depression.