View Full Version : Tips to avoid over-eating?

pechemignonne
05-13-12, 12:45 PM
I have some digestive issues :o, which means that I have to avoid eating too much or getting my stomach too full.

My problem is that I lurve yummy food. And when I have something yummy, I eat too much of it, and then I get sick. :(

So I'm trying to figure out strategies to eat smaller portions, or more accurately less-large portions.

First off, I think I'm going to freeze my chicken breasts in 3 oz pieces. Same for pork. Beef I think I'll do in 2 oz about.

Then my meat portions will be automatically reasonable.

I will use measuring cups to make sure that my rice and other grains portions aren't unreasonable. And I will fill a couple of cups with veggies, too.

I will make up my dinner plate with those amounts and try to put away the rest in the fridge right away, so that I don't end up taking seconds (or thirds...). Out of sight, out of mind.

For snacks I think I will go again with small baggies with snack items in them by the handful, so that I don't end up "eating out of the bag".

To clarify, I'm not talking about a restrictive diet, just not over-eating to the point of over-taxing my digestion.

I also need to purchase more digestion-friendly food items, like apple sauce and other soluble fibers. And remember to snack, because or else I end up starving by dinner time and I eat way too much, too fast...

That's another problem, I eat really really quickly, usually while on the computer or while watching tv. Because although I love the taste of food, I find the process of eating really, really boring.

So I'm going to try at least to eat supper at the table. And at least if my plate isn't over-full, I don't have to worry as much about eating too much.

Anyone else have any tips?

silivrentoliel
05-13-12, 12:51 PM
I generally try to portion meals by the size of my hand- not my fist, like my mom used to tell me. If what's on my plate is roughly the size of my hand, I'm good. I actually have to force myself to eat right now, so I'm kind of at the opposite end of the spectrum. Thankfully, sandwiches are just about the right size ;)

Luvmybully
05-13-12, 01:02 PM
Some tips I learned from weight watchers on how to control amounts:

Make assessing your hunger a regular part of your eating habits. Recognize and ACKNOWLDGE (easier said than done) to yourself when you are satisfied, (ie-no longer hungry). Ask- Do I want this bite because I am still hungry? Or is it just because it tastes good?

Wait 5 seconds before you take the next bite. Sometimes that 5 seconds seems like eternity!

It's been a while since I actually cared enough to consider what I eat. I'll have to find my ww stuff and see if I can remember anymore!

angora
05-13-12, 01:19 PM
Using smaller sized plates and bowls helps. Our bowls look like they are the same size but some of them hold at least 1.5x as much. If I use one of them, I overeat or waste food.

Melissashai
05-15-12, 04:12 AM
Hey Peche,
I just posted on having adverse reactions to certain food textures, so if you're like me you may have a hard time with veggies, but if not I know veggies are an excellent way to help you in eating less. If you like salad, maybe a cup of salad before supper would help? I have also read that drinking an 8oz. glass of water before your meal will make you eat less. Smaller plates for sure and if you measure your snacks out you will do great. I have also found lite popcorn to be a great snack when watching TV and trying to avoid over eating when bored. They have some awesome seasonings that don't make me feel too deprived when having to go for the lite instead of the kettle or super buttery flavors =). If watching your budget (with the price of our ADHD meds rising everyday most of us have to :) you can buy brown paper lunch sacks and put 2 tablespoons of kernels with 1/8 teaspoon oil, fold the bag at the top and microwave for 2 min and wah-la =) you have super cheap microwave popcorn. If you like fruit buying frozen fruit without sugar added is great, because it won't spoil and it is already cut for you. I also have digestive problems too and find if I can get in an apple a day it really does help. I am a single mom and busy on top of forgetful lol so I find if I buy the little sacks (usually by the bagged salad) of pre-cut apples that have fat free carmel dipping sauce with them (under a dollar at Wal-Mart) I am more likely to eat my apple a day! If you like meat, cheese and cracker combos, the generic Lunchable, I think it's called Cracker Crunchers, has a little tray with meat, cheese and crackers and a "treat" (like a mini butterfinger) for under 10grams of fat and around 200 calories, it also has 10g of protein and is also a dollar or less at Wal-Mart =). Hope this helps and good luck!!!

tudorose
05-20-12, 06:56 AM
I'm struggling with this too. I measure everything for breakfast lunch and dinner but for me the problem is what I eat after dinner. I'm trying to discipline myself to not eat anything after 8pm.

crystal8080
05-22-12, 12:06 AM
When I was younger I used to eat out a lot. When I was full I would start sprinkling salt all over my food. That way I wouldn't pick at it while waiting for the waitress to come and get my plate.

CheekyMonkey
05-22-12, 12:12 AM
I have a few snacks that I can eat a ton of that won't do too much harm: Baby carrots, kale chips, lite popcorn, frozen grapes

I eat a bunch of those when I just feel like chomping on something. :lol: Then when it comes to meals I'm not starving. I serve my amount and that is all. I tell myself "If I'm hungry later, I will eat some carrots/grapes/etc." Knowing that I won't be starving later helps me avoid overeating at dinner.

sarahsweets
05-22-12, 05:05 AM
For me, its protein. The more protein I have and the less refined carbs and sugar, the less hunger I have. Once you've sort of "detoxed" from processed crap, sugars, and basically anything white, it gets a lot easier. Once I cut all of that from my life, I found that I didnt crave the crap anymore and it made eating the right amount much smoother.

Driver
05-22-12, 06:10 AM
Buy smaller dinnerware, so it's harder to fill the plate up.
Educate yourself on proper serving sizes and start measuring out your serves: after time you should be able to eye-ball serving sizes later.
Eat a low-carb, high-protein diet.
If you're still hungry after a meal, wait 30mins and if you're still hungry, eat again.