View Full Version : Focalin info request

Hunney
05-14-12, 03:14 PM
My son is 23. Somehow, we just realized he has ADHD. His symptoms are so severe, I am afraid this condition is going to kill him. (accidents) He took Focalin XR for about a month. (10 ml) He said it is the only thing that has ever helped his "craving" which he has complained about for years.
Only, it seemed to make him very aggressive and irritable. (mainly at night when it wears off, I think??) Could it be that the dosage was wrong, or would Ritilan work better? Any ideas or input please?

Thank you!

VariableRates
05-16-12, 02:22 AM
I experience the exact same side effect while taking FocalinXR. I have noted this happens a lot around when I feel the effects wearing off, though not all the time. I've read that sometimes an increase in dosage will help alleviate, but not cure this side-effect. And I believe 10mg is the lowest dosage that is prescribed, so considering the severity of his ADD, you may want to consider upping the dosage and/or switching meds. They're FAR from similar to one another. I can say for certain that the same medication with the same dosage could affect different people in COMPLETELY different ways.

Speed is very popular in my hometown, and after talking with a lot of people taking a variety of brands and dosages about the side-effects of the medications,

However, there are some trends.... People tend to like Adderall more than Concerta or Ritalin... Higher doses usually make people less uneasy...

These kind of things are best discussed with a medical professional. There are so many nuances with ADD medications between the different types/brands and dosages that it'll make your head spin. Essentially, finding the right prescription is a matter of trial and error. Discuss the effects of the meds with a doctor, and the doctor will be able to discern what will be the next best candidate for properly treating your son's ADD.

Hunney
05-16-12, 02:41 PM
I appreciate your input. The negative effects her experienced were in the afternoon. It is very logical to consider that he may benefit from a higher dosage.

Thank you!

Yellow
06-10-12, 10:28 AM
My son is 23. Somehow, we just realized he has ADHD. His symptoms are so severe, I am afraid this condition is going to kill him. (accidents) He took Focalin XR for about a month. (10 ml) He said it is the only thing that has ever helped his "craving" which he has complained about for years.
Only, it seemed to make him very aggressive and irritable. (mainly at night when it wears off, I think??) Could it be that the dosage was wrong, or would Ritilan work better? Any ideas or input please?

Thank you!

helped his "craving" - tell him he should definitely keep that craving killed with regular scheduled dosing followin the dr script exactly, and the dosing window should be experimented with so figure out the optimal time and the crash, cuz thats the other point

agressive and irritable - thats the crash, stimulants have a "come down" that makes many people very dysphoric as u noted. ritalin wouldnt work any better for that, if anything probably worse. suggestion: ask the dr for a low dose benzo if the emotional state is recurringly problematic and toxic, or some OTC benadryl at night to help induce a more relaxed, drowsy anti anxious feeling. beleive it or not benadryl is often prescribed/given off label for anxiety

good luck and watch that "craving"