View Full Version : Unwillingness to listen to others?

sbcy
05-16-12, 01:52 AM
I always skip the instructions and tend to try to figure everything out instead of asking for help. When someone is trying to suggest something while I'm trying to figure something out, I'm usually not too receptive. This is detrimental because I'll waste time trying to figure something out when I could just look it up on the internet or ask someone who knows. My dad is the same way. I guess it's in part because I'm inattentive so I don't want to inadvertently give up too soon but I also get caught up in obsessing. When I'm in a better mood I'm more likely to look at outside sources and learn from others. What's going on here?

Drewbacca
05-18-12, 01:31 AM
I do the same... fighting with my gf at the moment for that reason, actually.
I think it is as much a negative form of hyper focus as it is my general desire to "do it myself." I've never been one to ask for help and I'm usually not that receptive when someone tries to help me (due to anxiety most likely).

ginniebean
05-18-12, 01:57 AM
well it's not indicative of a personality disorder.. it's just 'noise' that irritates when we're busy thinking...

Amtram
05-18-12, 10:54 AM
I simply have trouble understanding things unless I go through that thought process of figuring it out from beginning to end in all possible permutations and/or do it myself. I've tried following tutorials with photographs, clear illustrations, and well-written text, and still messed up. I'll listen to others, but if they tell me something I've already rejected in my overanalysis, or I can't mentally connect what they're saying to what I'm thinking, it just doesn't penetrate.

ginniebean
05-18-12, 11:30 AM
I simply have trouble understanding things unless I go through that thought process of figuring it out from beginning to end in all possible permutations and/or do it myself. I've tried following tutorials with photographs, clear illustrations, and well-written text, and still messed up. I'll listen to others, but if they tell me something I've already rejected in my overanalysis, or I can't mentally connect what they're saying to what I'm thinking, it just doesn't penetrate.

That's exactly what happens, and you described it perfectly. Just don't try explaining why you are rejecting the rejected input because that's a big can of worms, filled with frustration and exasperation. It's a sure fire way to get nothing done.