View Full Version : ADHD men & women try L-Tyrosine

Hyperman87
05-19-12, 02:12 PM
Just try it but don't go overboard though (it's got side-effects) try it with your stimulant medications.It should actually make there effects stronger. It also will proably increase your sex drive as well.:)

The reason it maybe beneficial is because L-Tyrosine is the precursor to L-Dopa(Levodopa) so this increases dopamine making more available to the stimulant medication.

You can only get it at health food stores though like GNC & of course many of the same warnings that apply for the stimulants also apply here(No heart disease/Hypertension, Hyperthyroid, etc) also you can't take L-Tyrosine if you also take MAOI's possibly fatal blood pressure spikes. Other than that since L-Tyrosine is an amino acid found in food you should be good to go. Supplement dosages of 500mg-1000mg per pill are a lot higher than what you'd get from food content as such you should maybe spilt up the pills & then take them a couple hours before your ADHD medications.

If the ADHD meds make you sweaty this on top of that will make you sweat buckets but you have complete control of your ADHD symptoms.I should mention L-Tyrosine with Stimulants will cause increased levels of Aniexty, Restlessness, & sleep issues. For me though it's been reducing aniexty by making the ADHD meds work even better.Also I've heard tolerance is an issues as well. It won't be right for everyone but if you still suffer from severe ADHD symptoms maybe it's worth a shot?

I've been taking it with Vyvanse so far so good(just started Yesterday).:)

jiffyPOP
05-19-12, 03:27 PM
thanks for your post. have you seen the informative 8 part series on Tyronsine and ADHD? this is a lot of reading.

http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot.com/2010/01/does-tyrosine-supplementation-actually.html

Hyperman87
05-20-12, 11:46 AM
Yes I'm read now.

salleh
05-20-12, 12:22 PM
Whew Jiffpop, that is quite a blog about ADD....I wonder if that person is a member here ? .....it would be very nice to have that person as a member ......

and Hyperman ...this is very interesting .....I have tried a couple of other supplements that people have suggested and found there to be no difference in the effectiveness of the dex I take ....but I will go and get some of this to give it a shot .....I did notice that the blogger mentioned the depletion of vitamin Bs using that ....but luck for me I do take some of those high energy shots,.....and I really like the one that Arizona puts out , as it has massive amounts of B6 and B12.....

But it is hard to find .....so if I can't get that, I look for massive vitamin content....

My theory is that I don't give a good g** dam* about long term effects for me .....that isn't an issue .....I only have eh who knows really, but at 62 it's not like I have a long life ahead of me ....might as well use up anything I have to make these years go as productively as I possible can ....

Plus I am extremely healthy for my years .....AND I just stopped smoking ...hah !

so thanks for putting this up ....how is it working for you ? ...can you feel a difference ?

Drewbacca
05-21-12, 12:57 AM
There's no reason to take L-tyrosine supplements unless you are deficient or unable to produce it. At best, it's a waste of money and at worst a catastrophe waiting to happen if taken while on other medications without your doctor's approval/knowledge.
If your doctor supports trying it, then by all means go for it. If not, then stay away from it.

I've actually considered that I might have a need for it. I have a known intolerance to casein (a protein found in dairy) which happens to be the primary food source for L-tyrosine. It's not exactly a stretch of the imagination, to consider that my body's auto-immune response might be reducing my absorption of L-tyrosine and ultimately reducing the dopamine production and causing inattention.

On the other hand, tyrosine is a non-essential amino acid, meaning that your body is capable of producing it. It is unlikely that you are under producing tyrosine. Seeing as tyrosine is also the amino acid responsible for the pigment in your hair (melanin) it is highly unlikely that you are deficient in it unless you are albino.

If you are determined to try the supplement anyways, and can't find it at the local pharmacy, it is also an ingredient in most protein shake mixes available at health stores.

Drewbacca
05-21-12, 01:34 AM
This is a quote from a 2009 study abstract:

Abstract:
Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a chronic, debilitating psychiatric illness that often co-occurs with other common psychiatric problems. Although empirical evidence supports pharmacological and behavioral treatments, side effects, concerns regarding safety and fears about long-term use all contribute to families searching for alternative methods of treating the symptoms of ADHD. This review presents the published evidence on supplementation, including single ingredients (e.g., minerals, vitamins, amino acids and essential fatty acids), botanicals and multi-ingredient formulas in the treatment of ADHD symptoms. In most cases, evidence is sparse, mixed and lacking information. Of those supplements where we found published studies, the evidence is best for zinc (two positive randomized, controlled trials); there is mixed evidence for carnitine, pycnogenol and essential fatty acids, and more research is needed before drawing conclusions about vitamins, magnesium, iron, SAM-e, tryptophan and Ginkgo biloba with ginseng. To date, there is no evidence to support the use of St John's wort, tyrosine or phenylalanine in the treatment of ADHD symptoms. Multi-ingredient approaches are an intriguing yet under-researched area; we discuss the benefits of this approach considering the heterogeneous nature of ADHD.

Drewbacca
05-21-12, 02:12 AM
Research
The role L-tyrosine may play in ADHD was first researched in 1987. In a study published in the "American Journal of Psychiatry," scientists found that while many of the ADHD adults being supplemented with L-tyrosine seemed to experience decreased symptoms at first, by the end of the eight-week trial, there was no substantive change in the adults' behavior. Since that time, additional research studies have come to the same conclusion: supplementing with additional L-tyrosine does not appear to significantly improve the symptoms suffered by either adult or child ADHD patients.

Considerations
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not regulate commercially produced L-tyrosine supplements; therefore, any L-tyrosine products you may purchase have not been checked for effectiveness, purity or safety. In addition, L-tyrosine supplementation may cause migraine headaches, nausea, heartburn and joint pain and may exacerbate the symptoms of Graves disease and hyperthyroidism. The supplements may also interfere with the function of medications like levodopa and monoamine oxidase inhibitors like selegiline, phenelzine and isocarboxazid. Do not use L-tyrosine without first speaking to your doctor about the possible side effects and dangers.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/447723-l-tyrosine-adhd/

Sorry if I'm being a kill-joy or anything but I'm a natural skeptic. I really don't see any harm in trying it, just be sure to talk to your doctor first.

Drewbacca
05-21-12, 02:34 AM
One more thing before I go to bed.
To follow up on the comment I made regarding melanin:
There is a letter with the subject heading Tyrosine Supplements for ADHD Symptoms With Comorbid Phenylketonuria, which shows that tyrosine is beneficial when a deficiency is present. http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/data/Journals/NP/3973/09jnp228.PDF

However, keep in mind that this study only shows that it was successful in a child with Phenylketonuria.

Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a rare condition in which a baby is born without the ability to properly break down an amino acid called phenylalanine...

Babies with PKU are missing an enzyme called phenylalanine hydroxylase, which is needed to break down an essential amino acid called phenylalanine. The substance is found in foods that contain protein...

Phenylalanine plays a role in the body's production of melanin, the pigment responsible for skin and hair color. Therefore, infants with the condition often have lighter skin, hair, and eyes than brothers or sisters without the disease...

For more info and other symptoms: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002150/

jiffyPOP
05-21-12, 12:33 PM
Whew Jiffpop, that is quite a blog about ADD....I wonder if that person is a member here ? .....it would be very nice to have that person as a member ......

.....I did notice that the blogger mentioned the depletion of vitamin Bs using that ....but luck for me I do take some of those high energy shots,.....and I really like the one that Arizona puts out , as it has massive amounts of B6 and B12.....

But it is hard to find .....so if I can't get that, I look for massive vitamin content....

Plus I am extremely healthy for my years .....AND I just stopped smoking ...hah !

so thanks for putting this up ....how is it working for you ? ...can you feel a difference ?

Yes, great ADHD blog. The blogger is apparently an educator who works with special needs children. Somewhere on that massive blog, I read his bio once. The blogger has educated himself about ADHD to help the students in his program. The bio I read might have been in the comments/messages on one of the post.

I was lead to that blog because I am really interested in Zinc because of the positive studies concerning ADHD. I ordered Zinc Challenge to test if I am deficient and it will arrive in a few days.

If you read the 8 part L-Tyronsine post (I did :faint: and with my dyslexia, it took forever!), you will see just how important essential minerals and vitamins (such as B6 B12) are to brain function. I'm using a sub-lingual B-6 that also includes Zinc / magnesium that are need for the body to actually use the B-6. I went to the blog looking for information on Zinc, and got caught reading that blog for many days.

Congratas on quitting smoking! I just passed my 3 year quit anniversity.

Drewbacca
05-21-12, 03:38 PM
If you read the 8 part L-Tyronsine post (I did :faint: and with my dyslexia, it took forever!), you will see just how important essential minerals and vitamins (such as B6 B12) are to brain function.

I did, and felt that it was nonsense. Which is why I felt the need to respond as strongly as I did.
Vitamins are important... but only if you are deficient. There is no shortage of scientific studies saying as much.

The potential benefit of zinc for ADHD is still on the table. Zinc is a much better use of your money than tyrosine. Also, like I said above, it's quite possible that someone on here may in fact be tyrosine deficient and will find that the amino acid will alleviate symptoms in the long term. However, a medical doctor can easily test for that as tyrosine deficiency will lead to thyroid disfunction that would be picked up in a blood test.

salleh
05-21-12, 05:20 PM
maybe I'll just wait until Mikart releases their new dix IR tablets ......*pace pace pace *

it seems to me that the dex IR tabs from Barr are even weaker after the shortage l.....and about 1/2 again more expensive to boot ...wouldn't ya just know .....

jiffyPOP
05-21-12, 05:49 PM
I did, and felt that it was nonsense. Which is why I felt the need to respond as strongly as I did.
Vitamins are important... but only if you are deficient. There is no shortage of scientific studies saying as much.

The potential benefit of zinc for ADHD is still on the table. Zinc is a much better use of your money than tyrosine. ...

I dunno drewbacca, I thought that the 8 part series on tyronsine was pretty neutral (or even skeptical) and at the very least conservative on the L-tyrosine debate. I wouldn't call it nonsense at all, just for the fact that the author added nuisance and complexity to a supplement that most people think they can just pop and get a brain boost. In fact, I would say the author was more on the skeptical side than anything. I think the blogger went through great lengths to demonstrate that just popping some L-tryrosine is not going to cure ADHD. This type of pragmatism is a good thing, and something not found on any of the "natural cure" websites.

PS I found and stocked up on a bunch of "Bob's Red Mill" baking goods that are gluten free. I'm making gluten free cookies, brownies tonihght!:yes:

Drewbacca
05-21-12, 06:44 PM
If I have a chance, I'll re read it and point out the points that bothered me. It doesn't matter really, since again, it may actually work for some people. Just trying to be realistic.

re: gluten. Pamela's bread mix is good but you have to use the mini-loaf pans to get consistant baking. Enjoy those brownies!

jiffyPOP
05-23-12, 04:18 PM
Whew Jiffpop, that is quite a blog about ADD....I wonder if that person is a member here ?

FYI Just found out and it looks like he is a member here:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=840092&postcount=21

GinoB
11-10-12, 02:59 PM
I just started supplementing with L-Tyrosine, and i swear, it is making a significant difference. I don't know whether it is placebo or not, but it actually decreases my anxiety, and most definately improves my focus. I also take Concerta (52mg) and Lexapro (10mg)

425runner
11-11-12, 08:09 PM
I take 350mg n-acetyl-l-tyrosine about 5 hrs after I take Dexedrine to prevent any crashes and it works fine, no side effects. I also take it several times a day when on "drug holiday" it lifts my mood better then Wellbutrin and also helps with anxiety.

Definitely worth trying. l-theanine is another amino acid that I've found very helpful for reducing restlessness and hyperactivity, it's naturally calming but not sedating like benzos.