View Full Version : Fiance newly diagnosed w/ADD. He's 43. Need info.

GraceJoyFaith
11-16-04, 10:09 PM
Hi. Just in the past few weeks, my fiance found out he has ADD. He's 43. Now it makes sense as to why he had such struggles in school. He also has mild dyslexia. He did some major testing to get this all figured out by a psychologist several weeks ago.

So now we're trying to find out all we can about ADD. Like what kind of meds are available to help it? Is there a cure for it, or do you take meds forever? How effective are the drugs? Is Ritalin the only thing you can take? What are the side effects of it, and of other drugs if there are any? What are some of the symptoms of adult ADD and what kinds of things get helped by the drugs?

Please tell us anything you want to share to help us be more informed about ADD.

Thanking you,
GraceJoyFaith

exeter
11-17-04, 02:55 AM
Welcome to the forums. The answers to all your questions are here... check out the medication forums for answers to your first question. There are forums for basically all the ADHD meds on here.

As for your second question, how effective are they? Well, I remember reading that Ritalin is effective about 70% of the time, Strattera about 50-60%, and all the others are comparable. There's probably a drug out there for him... and there's WAY more than just Ritalin.

Hmm.. symptoms... well, adults generally aren't bounce-off-the-walls hyperactive, but sometimes have hyperactivity in the form of figeting and not being able to pay attention in meetings or lectures. Forgetfulness, distractibility, losing things, a history of underachievement, difficulty with reading due to attention problems, impulsive behavior, and more, are possible symptoms. Basically, just read the forums, and you'll find out. :)

Garry
11-17-04, 09:34 AM
Welcome to your new Home Away From Home

All your new brothers and sisters will be glad to help you anyway we can.....

Read, Read, and Read some more, and when your ready, jump in and post away to the threads that interest you.

As I am very lazy when it comes to typing so I have created a welcome page and ADDed a link here to get you there

My Welcome Page (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3345)

Garry

Kathi
11-17-04, 11:11 AM
I just got diagnosed as well at 43. I am taking adderall and it has made the biggest difference in my life. I am totally organized in my life and every aspect of it. My house used to be so unorganized and now, I know where everything is. I just wish I had known this back when I was in school, my grades would have been much better.

I hope this helps you out somehow:)

Ian
11-17-04, 01:01 PM
Well Garry some adults don't bounce off the walls. I used to bounce quite nicely especially with a couple of drinks in me.

Kathi I absolutely adore your avatar!

Grace I'm 45 and living south of Winnipeg. I started taking Dexedrine a year ago and it's been a big help. I've also done lots and lots of councelling and much time learning about humility, ego and matters of the heart.

I exercise regularly and spend more than a normal amount of time pondering how I might improve myself. Don't panic. It will all take time but there are lots of things you and he can do.

Garry is right on the money in suggesting that there is some good reading to be had here. There are lots of helpful supportive folks here.

Welcome to the forums and I hope your partner can join in the fun. If not we'll be happy to have you on your own. There a lot of dedicated and smart partners of ADHD types here too.
Cheers! Ian.

charlie
11-17-04, 11:32 PM
Welcome to ADD Forums Grace,

I'd like to direct your attention to the wonderful search function on the upper right of each page. My favorite is to go to advanced search and click on the show posts button.

The calendar link notes chat times and the bottom of each page as you scroll past the quick reply field are topics of similar interests that you might be interested in (five posts below this quick reply field.

Read, research any words, topics, or questions that may interest you, and please POST!