View Full Version : Am I Dyslexic?

Elmo
11-17-04, 07:17 AM
I am planning on seeing a doctor in the near future to know for sure, but for know I just wanted to see people's opinions as to whether I am just being paranoid and wasting my time.

I am 16 years old, so I figured any learning disabilities should have been uncovered by now. However, after doing some reasearch I have found I have an alarming number of symptoms of dyslexia.

The following are a few I have found that are relevant to me:

"5. Do you find it difficult to remember the sense of what you have read?"

When I was younger, I was told I could read well but I wasn't actually understanding what I was reading, not taking anything in but just reading a book. Often in school we will get some handout, and I will read it then have no idea what the question is asking, and have to read the information several times.

"7.Is your spelling poor?"

On average it is ok, but just the other day it took me several minutes to write a simple word that I knew how to spell, and it was written in a text book in front of me.

" 8. Is your writing difficult to read? "

No one else can understand my handwriting, when I write I naturally go all over the page, and have difficulty keeping on the lines, and i will start a new line at a random distance from the margin.

"9. Do you get confused if you have to speak in public? "

I've never been a good public speaker, and lately I have been stuttering in normal speech.

"10. Do you find it difficult to take messages on the telephone and pass them on correctly? "

I forget everything

"12. Do you find it difficult to do sums in your head without using your fingers or paper? "

I do the highest level of maths at my school, but I can not do arithmetic in my head, nor work out money exchanges.

"13. When using the telephone, do you tend to get the numbers mixed up when you dial?"

I stop and redial the number about 5 times until im absolutely sure that I am correct

" 20. Did you find it hard to learn your multiplication tables at school? "

I still haven't learnt them at 16 years old, and i never understood the process of long division. Yet I am fine doing complex maths problems, although when I get to my final answer, If I have to do some arithmetic I will use a calculator, even if it is something really simple.

"Difficulty with buttons, laces, learning to ride a bike, swim, or catch a ball."

I am uncoordinated, can't play any sports and never learnt to ride a bike or swim.

I dont know if I am just being paranoid, but I thought that was an alarming number of symptoms that related to me. Unlike most things I read about dyslexia, I seem to be fine reading and writing to a degree, although english is my worst subject at school, i can not write good essays etc. This is the main thing that made me think I might just be paranoid, I am able to read and write pretty well, although I do have the problems listed above.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this, and any comments would be appreciated.

Garry
11-17-04, 09:25 AM
Not being a "Doctor" I am not going say one way or the other about what you may or may not be

One thing I will say is that you have a good list of the problems you are having and that is the hardest part of dealing with any situation.......

Now finding ways to cope with these situations is the next step and there are many people here who will help you by pointing out what they have done to combat the problems they may have had that are similar to yours

Welcome to your new Home Away From Home

All your new brothers and sisters will be glad to help you anyway we can.....

Read, Read, and Read some more, and when your ready, jump in and post away to the threads that interest you.

As I am very lazy when it comes to typing so I have created a welcome page and ADDed a link here to get you there

My Welcome Page (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3345)

Garry

spottkitty
12-14-04, 12:29 AM
I don't think you're being paranoid - if you're concerned it's worth checking it out. I was dx'd dyslexic in 1st grade, over 25 years ago. My parents worked hard with me to be able to write on the lines, make it easier to read and I still have reversals if I try to write too fast. I actually took a calligraphy class that helped me. I now write in a modified calligraphic script style, working on the letter shapes. Now people say I have nice writing!

Spelling, math and reading for comprehension (not enjoyment - those I could remember) like studying for a test and having to re-read the passage over and over to understand and pick up what I needed to know. Oh, and I'm very directionally challenged. My friends have said I could get lost in my own driveway! :)

Let us know how any evaluations go. If you are diagnosed or have a "percieved issue" to get onto a 504 plan, they can do things like books on tape, to help get the info into your head in a way you can use. There's lots of different strategies to try to help.

Good Luck!
Barbara