View Full Version : Maryland Dexedrine Shortage?

mispiston
11-17-04, 02:55 PM
GREETINGS TO ALL!

NOTE: Although it would be REALLY WEIRD, this may only affect those living and/or filing their scripts in the Frederick, MD region. However, because it is a problem with the mfr. (Smith, Klein & Beecham), other US regions as well as Canadian provinces, etc., could be impacted as well.

I am posting to alert those taking 15 mg Dexedrine Spansules (BRAND NAME VERSION) that there is a SHORTAGE due to a production back-order at the manufacturer. Two days ago I tried to fill my Rx at my "personal" CVS (pharmacist always keeps enough on hand during the week my script is due). She told me that during the prior 3 weeks she had been unable to secure ANY 15 mg strength spansules. A check at additional pharmacies for brand and even generic 15 mg strengths also indicated zero availability.

Fortunately all is not lost!! Apparently brand (and most likely generic), 5 mg and 10 mg strengths ARE readily available. So I had to drive back to the doc, go through the explanation, wait for him to write a new Rx, return to CVS, wait,....4.5 hrs later I finally got home!

I have to gripe tho, but NOT at my doc because he was very busy: in between patients and responding to his voicemail (one of the very few who try to get back to you the SAME DAY!), 1 or 2 patients in the wait area; and the office was a physical mess as badly needed remodeling started last weekend, created a tense/chaotic atmosphere. This resulted in his hurriedly writing a new script for 10 mg for the same total # that I get for a 15 mg Rx, which of course means I'll be short for the month. That's OK. I'll try to take one less a day or whatever. No, my beef is with the draconian drug laws in this country that produce similar dramas (and worse) every day. This ridiculous mess could have been avoided if the RPh had been able to substitute and fill the Rx with the correct mix of 5 mg and 10 mg strengths, and noting the reason in all appropriate files.
I bet Congress and "Hill" insiders never have any problems securing prescribed meds and they probably never stand in line, either!

exeter
11-17-04, 04:41 PM
All I have to say is... dude, that sucks. Here's a thought though... do you have insurance? My insurance company has a mail-order prescription service I can use. I'm not sure if they'd fill a schedule 2 prescription by mail, but if you have this type of service available to you, it's worth checking out.

TheStudent
11-25-04, 03:04 PM
Hi, I went to fill my usual Dexedrine prescription (I take 3x15mg/daily) and was told there are none, I almost started crying right there, apparently there were none in my city, instead they gave me the tablets and told me to take 9 every morning. 9 pills??? Come on so they said try 5 twice a day,didn't do anything (thats why I'm on time released in the first place) anyone gone from taking 45mg/daily to none...........It sucks.
How can this happen? I have final exams; not too mention my daughter and everything else.....So overwhelming, no one understands the feeling of coming off of it so suddenly, its horrible. Sorry about the self pity...:o

sympathomimetic
06-15-05, 04:49 PM
i live in frederick, tried to get my 15 mg spansule script filled, no 15's they dispensed 90 10's without hesitation.