View Full Version : what exercises that will build muscles & confidence?

picard
05-29-12, 05:06 AM
what exercises that will build muscles & confidence?

I am a skinny guy hence I want to build up a decent amount of muscles boost my confidence. I don't want to be a huge body builder.

do you guys have any good exercise regimen to build muscles?

spc123
05-29-12, 05:30 AM
Your best bet is to work out with a friend or trainer until you learn the various exercises. I could give you some examples, but without someone showing you and helping you physically with your form, it will be difficult to do everything correctly.

One piece of advice I can give you is to eat. I was 5'11, 130 pounds. At my peak in the gym I was 190 pounds and bench pressing more than my body weight for sets. In order to put on weight I force fed myself big man combos every day, Usually two a day. There are also bulking supplements out there. The bottom line is that you will need to eat a lot of calories to put on mass. It's almost as hard for a skinny guy to get bigger as it is for a fat guy to get smaller.

sarahsweets
05-29-12, 06:25 AM
I also recommend a lot of protein. I get mine in in the form of meats, legumes and proteing shakes. There is one from gnc that I really like but its expensive. I also do smoothies in the morning.

ana futura
05-29-12, 12:29 PM
The push up is the king of excercises. If you can only do one thing, do push ups. Just go for as many as you're able. There's no shame in starting with knee push ups if you need to, they allow you to do more and have better form. This is much better than straining through a smaller set of "real pushups."

Crunches are good to, but be sure you do them in a way that doesn't strain your neck. You don't need to go all the way up, just enough so that your abdominals engage.

And don't forget your back- the "superman" is good for the back.

And finally squats.

Start with those four, and build from there.

pyogenes
05-29-12, 04:29 PM
muscle gain is a slow process so it might be several months to a year before the changes are obvious.

Here's my shorter workout routine. Takes about 30 minutes. Start with a lot less weight than you think you can do. Add weight to your next workout if it was too easy. Pace and form is far more important than weight and reps.

20 lunges (10 reps each leg)
15 dumbbell bicep curls into arnold shoulder press
15 chest press

repeat 3 times. No rests allowed between sets. Heavy focus on slow movements and correct form.

30 kneeling one arm rows (15 reps each arm)
20 crunches
20 russian twists
20 bench step ups (10 each leg). Simultaneously do dumbbell shoulder press with opposite arm as the leg you're stepping up with.

repeat 3 times. No rests allowed between sets. Heavy focus on slow movements and correct form.

Things I do to mix things up:
Lunge alternatives: walking lunges, step forward in place, step back in place, rear foot elevated (resting on bench), walking lunge with bicep curls, walking lunge with shoulder press.

Chest press alternatives: push ups, inclined/declined chest press, chest flies, one armed chest flies (this works out abs and back too - don't do unless you have very good form)

Kneeling one arm row variations: lat pull downs, seat rows

Abs alternatives: bicycles, sit ups, decline sit ups, sit ups with medicine ball toss (need partner), jack knives, and a crap ton that I don't know the name of

bench step up alternatives: squats, lunge variations

TheChemicals
05-29-12, 06:23 PM
kegels.

kuhan1923
05-29-12, 07:51 PM
Don't lift weights (I used to lift weights a lot). Join a Jiu Jitsu gym instead imho.

But if you really want to gain muscle and maximize strength, focus on deadlights, squats, pull ups, and benching. Forget about all the other machines. This is coming from a guy that's read a lot on strength training books, and mma.

picard
05-30-12, 01:24 AM
I also recommend a lot of protein. I get mine in in the form of meats, legumes and proteing shakes. There is one from gnc that I really like but its expensive. I also do smoothies in the morning.

what smoothies do you drink? what meat do you eat? steak ?

how do you make smoothies ?

picard
05-30-12, 01:26 AM
muscle gain is a slow process so it might be several months to a year before the changes are obvious.

Here's my shorter workout routine. Takes about 30 minutes. Start with a lot less weight than you think you can do. Add weight to your next workout if it was too easy. Pace and form is far more important than weight and reps.

20 lunges (10 reps each leg)
15 dumbbell bicep curls into arnold shoulder press
15 chest press

30 kneeling one arm rows (15 reps each arm)
20 crunches
20 russian twists
20 bench step ups (10 each leg). Simultaneously do dumbbell shoulder press with opposite arm as the leg you're stepping up with.

Things I do to mix things up:
Lunge alternatives: walking lunges, step forward in place, step back in place, rear foot elevated (resting on bench), walking lunge with bicep curls, walking lunge with shoulder press.

Chest press alternatives: push ups, inclined/declined chest press, chest flies, one armed chest flies (this works out abs and back too - don't do unless you have very good form)

Kneeling one arm row variations: lat pull downs, seat rows

Abs alternatives: bicycles, sit ups, decline sit ups, sit ups with medicine ball toss (need partner), jack knives, and a crap ton that I don't know the name of

bench step up alternatives: squats, lunge variations

sorry If i sound dumb. What are squat & lunges ?

anonymouslyadd
05-30-12, 01:29 AM
sorry If i sound dumb. What are squat & lunges ?

I found squats on this youtube video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKKZ9AGYTi4

Gadfly
05-30-12, 03:44 AM
I have recently taken up Aikido as a confidence building measure. And a friend told me to buy a skipping rope for upper body improvement.

beltoller
05-30-12, 04:32 AM
I'd wholeheatedly second Kuhan1923's recommendation.

My kids take boxing and Brazilian Jui Jitsu at a pro-level MMA school and I have to say that the training and cooresponding conditioning they now get are leagues ahead of what they got in Tae Kwon Do/ Traditional Martial Arts - not dinegrating TKD/TMA, mind you, but the level of intensity in boxing is so much more. The same goes for the intense conditioning of Muay Thai - and Thai fighters are not exactly large, but are unparalled in toughness.

Having massively big muscles isn't what its cracked up to be - I can tell you - if you are unable to deploy them when you need them.

Explosive power brought to bear quickly and efficiently counts for so much more and will do more for building confidence because you know that the confidence has a basis in reality - gained under the harsh conditions found in the ring and on the mats.

I've seen more than one 70kg lightweight tear a muscular body-builder type to shreds as the body builder will gass out after half a round and then its like watching a wolf take down an antelope. Cardio is apparently underrated in body-builder circles.

tudorose
05-30-12, 08:25 AM
Karate. My husband I put on 10kg (22lb) of muscle when we did karate. All the stances and kicks helped build the leg muscles.

He also got more confidence coz he had the strength and speed to defend himself.

Knowing you can defend yourself brings confidence.

beltoller
05-31-12, 10:50 AM
Karate. My husband I put on 10kg (22lb) of muscle when we did karate. All the stances and kicks helped build the leg muscles.

He also got more confidence coz he had the strength and speed to defend himself.

Knowing you can defend yourself brings confidence.

10kg of muscle mass gain is no trivial feat. You and your husband must've been involved in Kyokushin karate - known for its serious conditioning.

tudorose
06-01-12, 09:30 AM
10kg of muscle mass gain is no trivial feat. You and your husband must've been involved in Kyokushin karate - known for its serious conditioning.

It was a cross between Goju and Shotokan. The biggest gains were in the legs. That said for me all I have to do is look at weights and I put on muscle. I still have my toned cyclists calves even though I've only riden less than 150km in the last year.

DH was at the right age...sometimes guys just need to get to the right age before it happens. For him that was 27. He used to put on more muscles when he had milkshakes from maccas.

beltoller
06-02-12, 09:58 AM

DH was at the right age...sometimes guys just need to get to the right age before it happens. For him that was 27. He used to put on more muscles when he had milkshakes from maccas.

That is true of the fairer gender as well. Wifey here starts hittin her stride at 40+ with her 10k races, kickboxing, etc. - All the previous years living in a relative shell - never doing anything that didn't have implicit approval from her Cantonese family <-- who never engaged in anything that did not have involve accumulating wealth/face.

What a waste...but at least now there's some time for her to find herself - though that can be a little dangerous in some ways :eyebrow: :)

Hathor
06-05-12, 02:20 AM
what exercises that will build muscles & confidence?

I am a skinny guy hence I want to build up a decent amount of muscles boost my confidence. I don't want to be a huge body builder.

do you guys have any good exercise regimen to build muscles?

If you have a Costco nearby it is probably your best bet for Protein Powder.

I like going to the gym because I can put on some headphones and do my own thing

(Monday, Wed, Fri - 20 mins Cardio, 40 mins Weights)

(Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun - 40 mins Cardio)

I go every day because I find it easier to stay motivated and keep going. My record is 6 months, (10 years ago) right now I am at 2 months

Squats are supposed to be the best mass builder - but can injure your back and/or knees if done wrong.

Chances are if you are a skinny guy you don't have to worry about being "a huge body builder" unless you go to the gym for years. So if you decide to try weights a "mass orientated" program should be ok