View Full Version : Coffee and ADDHD

*desperate*
05-30-12, 12:20 PM
Someone told me that coffee is good for ADHD. But I've found in the last week or 2 that if I drink cups of coffee instead of 4 cups in the morning, then my brain works a little better to finish a thought rather than think of 20 thoughts at the same time and never finish 1 of those thoughts. What say you?

Amacfa
05-30-12, 05:14 PM
Coffee is good in moderation. Usually a cup will do it for me.

sarahsweets
05-30-12, 05:29 PM
Someones reaction to caffeine or other stimulants is never an indication of whether or not they have adhd or how severe it is. I drink enormous insane amounts of coffee...doesnt do anything for my adhd..it just keeps me from feeling sleepy because I wake up so early.

silivrentoliel
05-30-12, 05:40 PM
Coffee, for me, is just a calming thing, more of a happy thought than anything. It never helps wake me or, or keep me anymore focused than not drinking it, so I really can't say.

Drewbacca
05-30-12, 06:18 PM
Not all stimulants are created equal.

ADD meds stimulate cognitive functions.

Caffeine indirectly and to a lesser extent stimulates cognitive functions.
Caffeine also stimulates adrenaline and causes anxiety.

*desperate*
05-30-12, 06:31 PM
any more than 2 cups of coffee sends my anxiety thru the roof. I LOVE coffee. I usually drink 4 massive cups, but I do better on 2 cups.

keliza
05-30-12, 06:42 PM
Before I was diagnosed with ADHD I used to drink tons of coffee and Coke while I was studying, without knowing why. I just knew that if I drank a large coffee at the beginning of my study session and kept refilling throughout the evening, I was much more focused and able to stick with it than I was otherwise. It wasn't until after I was diagnosed with ADHD that I realized I was "self-medicating" with a stimulant to help improve my focus. I was never by any means a focused person, but it helped me sit still, keep my eyes on the page, and not have to read every paragraph 3 times because I kept spacing out half-way through.

Caffeine doesn't work the same way for everyone, but for me it was a real winner when I was undiagnosed. Instead of making me hyper and jittery, it just helped me stay on task for longer than I usually would have been able to. The only downfall was that it seriously tore up my stomach when all I would have for dinner was a Snickers bar and a giant coffee. Self-care wasn't exactly high on my priority list during my first two years of undergrad. :)

*desperate*
05-30-12, 06:54 PM
I wonder why it works so much for you guys and only adds to my anxiety?

demuregeek
05-30-12, 09:05 PM
Everyone reacts to it differently. When I went off caffeine for two weeks and then had a cup of coffee afterwards, there was a profound focusing effect. Now that I'm back to drinking it regularly, though, the effect is almost nil. It seems to give me a little nudge of wakefulness but little if any help in the focus department.

silivrentoliel
05-30-12, 09:15 PM
I wonder why it works so much for you guys and only adds to my anxiety?

everyone's different- so it's anyone's guess.

Starter11
06-14-13, 05:20 PM
I drink 1/2 cup of Coffee at 8 AM, and another 1/2 cup at Noon.

At home, I put a half-teaspoon of instant coffee in a cup of hot water.

The coffee does not help me focus that much, but I have become accustomed to the focus addes by coffee, so if I miss my 1/2 cup, my focus declines.

It seems reasonable to have a thread on Coffee nearer the front. I had to go back a ways to find a coffee thread.

//

Gemmer
07-01-13, 02:47 PM
As we all know, the ADD cycle is typically: start a task > procrastinate till deadline > adrenaline infused panic moments before the deadline > hyper focus

This is why the majority of ADD medications stimulate the adrenaline receptors, and why coffee often helps us focus.

Like all medications, you will build a tolerance which leads to dependency and diminishing returns. At 4 cups a day, you are probably deep into both.

It might be wise to swear off the stuff for a month, and then start again with 1 cup a day, and none on weekends and days off. See if it starts working again, and go from there.

Also, hi everyone! (first post)

arxonius
07-04-13, 04:44 AM
Someone told me that coffee is good for ADHD. But I've found in the last week or 2 that if I drink cups of coffee instead of 4 cups in the morning, then my brain works a little better to finish a thought rather than think of 20 thoughts at the same time and never finish 1 of those thoughts. What say you?

I used to drink about 3-4 litres of Coke or Pepsi every day. I quit because it was eating a hole in my stomach and my symptoms seriously increased. I didnt understand what was happening at the time,but my work performance spiraled out of control to the point where I had to go seek help or I would have lost my job. I didnt realize what had caused it until they gave me a stimulant and I realized that was why I allways drank so much.

I drank a 44oz coke this weekend for the first time in months,and the first time since I started adderall. I felt euphoric and "high". Im not going to do that again.

Fraser_0762
07-04-13, 05:41 AM
Coffee doesn't do much for me.

A small amount of Caffeine can help elevate the mood a bit and clear a bit of fog, but taking Caffeine in large amounts is just horrible.

In high amounts, I find myself yawning all day and just wanting to lie down, but without actually being able to drift off to sleep. It's not pleasant.

MonaLisaSimpson
07-06-13, 10:00 PM
I have Lived on coffee for years, but severely cut back since February to 2 cups a day. But I need those two, or else I get headaches...migraines... to the point of vomiting. Also my Dexadrine seems to work best if I have a cup of coffee with it, first thing in the morning. Starting spansules tomorrow, I wonder if that will change anything.

Blanched Dubois
07-07-13, 01:33 AM
i quit coffee for about 3 yrs - the first yr i just decided i wanted Earl Grey. Then I drank no caffeine and did water and was a vegan. Prior I rarely ate much meat - mostly fish from the pacific nw and some fowl - pasta my husbands favorite - all of it is not as good as ONE freshly ground Pete's french roast in my french press with almost boiling water - 4 minutes and that cup in my morning is my new orgasm.

Hey i'm widow'd in the prime of my Queen Victoria's life and writing orgasm after that one amazing cup i have at once and with the dog outside is HEAVEN.

Watch, some scientist will come out and say they've proven that drinking a cup of coffee a day means one thing to one person and one to another -doh ya think?? doesn't everything???? lol! ( pardon me )

stef
07-07-13, 03:30 AM
im not medicated, must have coffee to focus! instant with milk at home in the morning, 2 expressos by lunchtime and another around 5 pm.

when you say "4 cups" what do you mean? from a coffeemaker at home, or 4 starbucks...?