View Full Version : I have ADD. This is what I am doing now. And I need advice from everyone here!

Amacfa
05-30-12, 04:57 PM
Well. Let's just say I forgot I even had made an account on this site, and forgot to follow up on forum post I made a while back.

Long story....SHORT.

Psych followed me as a kid (7-8), then diagnosed and put me Ritalin
Taken off after few months because parents no like drug affects.
At the time I had no idea what the hell was going on, I realized I had ADHD/ADD at age 19 after recognizing the symptoms and how they have affected my young adult life. Then I connected the dots.
For some reason, even though I held the physical diagnosis in my hand at one point, my doctors office doesn't have the records anymore

Today my symptoms seem to be worse, it's affecting my life. I want to run my own company, stand on a stage in front of thousands of people, I am a creative individual and I've always thought I had a step over everyone else. Even with exercise, eating healthy, and fish oil pills I fall back on the same track.

I decided to make an appointment with a Psychiatrist that seems to have a specialty with Adult ADD. I do have a couple of questions.

Considering how much I work, I'll be honest, my focus is getting prescribed. I do not have health insurance though.

QUESTIONS

How much does the popular prescriptions cost typical for 30 days, a rough ball park figure is fine.

Strattera vs Adderal/Vyvance,

And...since I have to actually SAVE money to see a Psych and pay for the prescriptions, what is the BEST SUBSTITUTE to calm my symptoms?
I have hear all kinds of stories about:
Sudafed + Caffine
Sudafed + Allergy medication
Sudafed + L-Tyrosine supplement

Any opinions on which combination will work best for me? Feedback please!:thankyou::thankyou:

silivrentoliel
05-30-12, 05:49 PM
I have never heard about any type of Sudafed used to "calm" any symptom of ADHD. If you're worried about meds, ask your doctor if he knows of any patient assistant programs available to you, or go to the websites directly- they will often have links for patient assistance programs there too.

Amacfa
05-30-12, 06:04 PM
Sudafed, which contains the stimulant -> Pseudoephedrine Hydochloride can be picked up at the pharmacy with valid drivers license. I have seen talk on the internet about it's affect on people with ADHD. I myself have played around with it and sudafed by itself has aided in my symptoms.

What I am really interested is the combinations.

Some say Pseudoephedrine in combination with:
Caffeine - Duh

L-Tyrosine - Sudafed flushes your system with norepinephrine, which is limited but your body can synthesize more from L-Tyrosine.

Chlorpheniramine Maleate - Used for Allergy.

So I would be looking for someone who specifically had luck with any of these combinations besides Caffeine

Traveler5
05-30-12, 06:06 PM
what is the BEST SUBSTITUTE to calm my symptoms?
I have hear all kinds of stories about:
Sudafed + Caffine
Sudafed + Allergy medication
Sudafed + L-Tyrosine supplement

Any opinions on which combination will work best for me? Feedback please!:thankyou::thankyou:

I've heard those possible solutions as well but I would NOT consider them as a credible options to ADHD meds. I don't know why anyone would want to do the "Sudafed + Allergy medication" substitute. Sudafed is a stimulating drug that is used for allergies and colds to relieve sinus congestion. Sudafed with an allergy med that has an antihistamine (that dries up a runny nose and stops itchy eyes from allergies) in it is counter productive since antihistamines tend to make a person drowsy unless you're talking about Claritan or Zyrtec, etc. If that's the case then I don't know why that would work either.

Traveler5
05-30-12, 06:08 PM
I have never heard about any type of Sudafed used to "calm" any symptom of ADHD. If you're worried about meds, ask your doctor if he knows of any patient assistant programs available to you, or go to the websites directly- they will often have links for patient assistance programs there too.

As I said, Sudafed winds me up and makes me hyper. I'm pretty sure it would not give a person the calming affect as an ADHD med would.

Traveler5
05-30-12, 06:12 PM
Sudafed, which contains the stimulant -> Pseudoephedrine Hydochloride can be picked up at the pharmacy with valid drivers license.

I'm sure you already know this, but the reason it's a behind the counter drug and requires valid ID is because it is a popular drug to make Meth, a relative to Amphetamine. Interesting.

Amacfa
05-30-12, 07:37 PM
I bought the Tyrosine today. It seemed the safest combination. I'll report back my findings after the first trial run tomorrow.

ginniebean
05-30-12, 07:40 PM
med costs vary widely from 50-400$ a month depending upon what is prescribed.

Joker_Girl
05-30-12, 08:07 PM
I took L-tyrosine for a while. I thought it helped but i keep forgetting to pick up a bottle of it when I go to town....duuuh lol i took it with Ritalin and i thought it made the Ritalin last longer. I was able to space out the doses more and could get by with less meds.

Sudafed knocks me on my butt. If i take something with Sudafed in it, i will go to sleep. We went shopping one day and i took an allergy pill and i ended up sleeping in the car all day. Its too bad. NOTHING will clear out a stuffy nose like Sudafed. I like the kind where it is that mixed with Mucinex.

I didnt realize how weird i am until I gave someone at work a Mucinex/Sudafed one time and they acted like they were on crack and i was zombified and half asleep. But my nose was clear!

Ritalin and Adderall dont make me tired like that. Some times they make me feel sort of numb and emotionless, but they don't knock me out. They don't really wake me up, but they dont make me sleepy either. Unless i take HALF a Ritalin. 10 mg. That makes me really tired. Some times, if i am worked up at night and cant sleep and cant shut my brain off, i will have half of a Ritalin. Works almost every time, i can calm down and stop worrying enough to feel tired.

Lunacie
05-30-12, 08:56 PM
Sudafed puts me to sleep too. Hmm. However, Omega 3 works great for me.
Guess everyone is different, eh?

silivrentoliel
05-30-12, 09:00 PM
I take Claritin D for allergies at night w/ Vistaril and sleep like a baby :D plus I can breathe all night, which I really enjoy ;)

Lunacie
05-30-12, 09:06 PM
I take Claritin D for allergies at night w/ Vistaril and sleep like a baby :D plus I can breathe all night, which I really enjoy ;)

Claritin doesn't work for me, which sucks because I can get the generic
version cheap. Zyrtec does work for me, but even the store brand is
expensive. :( I take as small a dose as possible - only when I really-
really need it.

silivrentoliel
05-30-12, 09:19 PM
Claritin doesn't work for me, which sucks because I can get the generic
version cheap. Zyrtec does work for me, but even the store brand is
expensive. :( I take as small a dose as possible - only when I really-
really need it.

Oddly enough- it's the opposite for me. Nothing works except the Claritin, but I use the generic and I feel it works better. Can you not find a cheaper generic? Sometimes it varies from store to store?

Lunacie
05-30-12, 09:25 PM
Oddly enough- it's the opposite for me. Nothing works except the Claritin, but I use the generic and I feel it works better. Can you not find a cheaper generic? Sometimes it varies from store to store?

Well, I've tried the name brand, the Walgreens brand, and the Dollar General
brand. None of them work for me.

But I know what you mean. The Omega 3 I get at Dollar Tree works better
than the brands I've tried from Walgreens that cost 5 or 10 times as much.

Amacfa
05-31-12, 12:35 AM
Well, I've tried the name brand, the Walgreens brand, and the Dollar General
brand. None of them work for me.

But I know what you mean. The Omega 3 I get at Dollar Tree works better
than the brands I've tried from Walgreens that cost 5 or 10 times as much.

The $1 Dollar tree fish oils are heavy stimulants! Beware these are fatal and can cause lifelong seizures!

Lunacie
05-31-12, 08:44 AM
The $1 Dollar tree fish oils are heavy stimulants! Beware these are fatal and can cause lifelong seizures!

Any research you can point me to on this?

Amacfa
05-31-12, 01:32 PM
Nah, just pulling your chain!:giggle:

Lunacie
05-31-12, 02:00 PM
Nah, just pulling your chain!:giggle:

That was NOT funny. :eyebrow:

silivrentoliel
05-31-12, 03:47 PM
That was NOT funny. :eyebrow:

I agree, not amusing.

That said, are the dollar tree fish oil pills any smaller than normal? The oil texture makes me want to gag but the other pills are SO HUGE

Lunacie
05-31-12, 05:31 PM
I agree, not amusing.

That said, are the dollar tree fish oil pills any smaller than normal? The oil texture makes me want to gag but the other pills are SO HUGE

The ones I bought at Walgreens were smaller, but didn't work nearly as well for me.

Oily texture? I don't notice that unless I bite into the capsule, which I don't.

The trick to swallowing gel capsules is to tilt your head forwards to swallow,
instead of tipping your head back like with regular pills. Works for me.

silivrentoliel
05-31-12, 08:59 PM
The ones I bought at Walgreens were smaller, but didn't work nearly as well for me.

Oily texture? I don't notice that unless I bite into the capsule, which I don't.

The trick to swallowing gel capsules is to tilt your head forwards to swallow,
instead of tipping your head back like with regular pills. Works for me.

I take the OIL, not the pill. It's supposed to be lemon flavored, and it smells really nice and lemony, but it has absolutely NO taste (which I guess is better than a fishy taste). I have severe issues w/ textures, and oil is one of those I can just barely handle... it tests my gag reflex every morning, but I feel it helps... so I deal. Actually, maybe I just *want* it to help... I dunno if I can tell a difference or not, but considering it was really freaking expensive, I am finishing the bottle, even if it kills me :lol:

The pills are like half the length of my pinky and about the same width, I know in theory I should have no problem swallowing them, but I freak out and then choke. I do it w/ Zoloft or Ritalin too, and they are TINY. :eyebrow:

Lunacie
05-31-12, 10:16 PM
I take the OIL, not the pill. It's supposed to be lemon flavored, and it smells really nice and lemony, but it has absolutely NO taste (which I guess is better than a fishy taste). I have severe issues w/ textures, and oil is one of those I can just barely handle... it tests my gag reflex every morning, but I feel it helps... so I deal. Actually, maybe I just *want* it to help... I dunno if I can tell a difference or not, but considering it was really freaking expensive, I am finishing the bottle, even if it kills me :lol:

The pills are like half the length of my pinky and about the same width, I know in theory I should have no problem swallowing them, but I freak out and then choke. I do it w/ Zoloft or Ritalin too, and they are TINY. :eyebrow:

Ugh, I'd gag too with just the oil. You must have smaller fingers than I do.
I have trouble taking my Magnesium pill, just a little smaller than the fish oil.
Being smooth, the fish oil goes down much easier for me. I have to cut the
Magnesium in half so I don't choke on it. No can do with the fish oil.

I didn't actually realize how much the fish oil was helping me until I ran out.
The difference was very noticable. One more time I ran out and yikes!
I haven't run out since then. *knocks wood*

Lunacie
06-01-12, 10:34 AM

For those who don't know much about using fish oil supplements (Omega 3)
to treat ADHD, there has been some research done (google it).

Fish oil is not a stimulant. The only known issue with taking fish oil supplements
is decreased blood clotting, only a problem for those who take very large doses
or have diseases that cause blood clotting problems.

Also, nearly all of the fish oil sold in the United States is produced by one of just
5 companies. So it's all pretty much the same stuff, no matter whose label is on it.