View Full Version : Curious as to what your exercise habits are?

KatrinaCaitlin
06-02-12, 02:09 PM
Just curious to what others exercise habits are, and any diet things.

Twiggy
06-02-12, 02:19 PM
My job takes care of my exercise: Running, walking, and using muscle strength for 9 hours straight.
I'm worn out at the end of the day.

LauraF915
06-02-12, 02:36 PM
Derrr - I clicked the wrong button - I walk or run most days for exercise. Walked 11 miles this morning :D

For me - running is one of the best forms of stress relief. And it burns off any extra energy I may have so it's easier to sleep at night.

Because my work has a competition going on right now, I have walked or run pretty much every day for the last 7 weeks. Once the competition is over I'll probably cut back to 5 days a week, rather than 7 so I can get back to doing other things with my life :D

ana futura
06-02-12, 02:44 PM
I fell of the wagon a few months ago, but I was doing cycling and weights. I tend to go through phases with things. Cycling and weight training was a really good combo for me.

Right now it's just walking, cause it's the easiest thing to make myself do.

ana futura
06-02-12, 02:45 PM
Derrr - I clicked the wrong button - I walk or run most days for exercise. Walked 11 miles this morning :D

11 miles walking! How long does that take you?

LauraF915
06-02-12, 02:57 PM
11 miles walking! How long does that take you?

Today it took me 3 hours & 15 minutes (~17:45 minute pace), but I usually do closer to a 15 minute pace (so normally I would do it in 2:45). My phone app I normally use was on the fritz (I think it's because I walked near a power sub-station & then a major airport and it interfered with the GPS tracking) - I haven't done a sub-10 minute pace since I was in high school and it was telling me I had done several miles under 8 minutes, so I didn't have good feedback to keep me motivated to keep my speed up. Plus, I had a blister form on my foot that kept me from going faster.

My sister-in-law wants to run (or walk) a 1/2 marathon this fall, so I've been training to do it with her. I try to walk 5-6 miles after work most days and then over 10 each day on the weekends (so I did 11 this morning and am aiming for 12 tomorrow).

I need to start adding in more running (right now I'm only running a total of 3-4 miles out of the 10-12 - I will walk a mile warm up, then alternate running & walking in 1/4 mile increments for as long as I can, then cut back to running sporadically so I can keep my distance up)

ana futura
06-02-12, 03:07 PM
Impressive! I don't have the patience to walk for more than an hour or so, but that's only because I'd rather be on a bike.

pooka
06-02-12, 03:16 PM
During the school year I don't exercise much, until the spring when I play badminton. But during the summer I'm always in the pool. Swimming clears my head and never gets boring, and it can be a workout. Hands down my favorite exercise.

LauraF915
06-02-12, 03:20 PM
Impressive! I don't have the patience to walk for more than an hour or so, but that's only because I'd rather be on a bike.

A big part of the motivation right now is my work's 10,000 steps/day competition (I'm currently in 2nd place for the entire company and my team is in first place - there's a prize for members of the first place team). Today was a struggle - I started getting really bored and wanted to quit, but the good thing about doing an out & back route is that it's hard to cut it short once you've gone as far out as you want to go.

I usually download podcasts and listen - there's an NPR show that I love but never seem to be in my car when it's on, so I get 45-50 minutes/episode to listen to & I find that it helps make the time seem to go by faster. During the week/on shorter walks, I go with my sister-in-law and we spend the time talking, which helps make the miles go by faster too.

KatrinaCaitlin
06-02-12, 03:32 PM
My job takes care of my exercise: Running, walking, and using muscle strength for 9 hours straight.
I'm worn out at the end of the day.

Haha so does mine when I work, what do you do for work?

KatrinaCaitlin
06-02-12, 03:34 PM

For me - running is one of the best forms of stress relief. And it burns off any extra energy I may have so it's easier to sleep at night.

Because my work has a competition going on right now, I have walked or run pretty much every day for the last 7 weeks. Once the competition is over I'll probably cut back to 5 days a week, rather than 7 so I can get back to doing other things with my life :D

Wow 11 miles that's awesome:) I also prefer running, most of the time when I walk it's fast enough where the sliding doors at stores don't move open fast enough. ;)

KatrinaCaitlin
06-02-12, 03:36 PM
During the school year I don't exercise much, until the spring when I play badminton. But during the summer I'm always in the pool. Swimming clears my head and never gets boring, and it can be a workout. Hands down my favorite exercise.

Same here I love swimming, and running too.

crystal8080
06-02-12, 03:41 PM
Been a little (ok, a lot) off the mark on the running i was doing, but Im still going to bootcamp twice a week. Nothing better than an hour of strenuous activity. Running, circuit exercises, weights, abs,....high intensity. Feels sooooo good after. Walking just doesn't do it for me. I need to be drained.

And diet, Im a pesco-vegetarian.

KatrinaCaitlin
06-02-12, 04:20 PM
Same I need a higher speed than just walking like running.

beltoller
06-02-12, 04:22 PM
You forgot to add categories such as amatuer boxing, submission grappling, kickboxing ( I'm not refering to the fitness-class definition - full contact ).

These incorporate all the other categories such as running, weight-training, high-intensity training.

Along with Yoga there is Tai Chi Chuan, IndoArayan-based martial arts which has a meditation core, etc. but are vastly different in scope than western - taught 'yoga'.

Retromancer
06-02-12, 05:45 PM
When I think of exercise I lie down until the thought goes away.

KatrinaCaitlin
06-02-12, 06:09 PM
You forgot to add categories such as amatuer boxing, submission grappling, kickboxing ( I'm not refering to the fitness-class definition - full contact ).

These incorporate all the other categories such as running, weight-training, high-intensity training.

Along with Yoga there is Tai Chi Chuan, IndoArayan-based martial arts which has a meditation core, etc. but are vastly different in scope than western - taught 'yoga'.

Haha oops I was kinda trying to gather a bunch of thoughts when I was putting that poll together, and trying to get all types of exercises together. Also there's a max amount of options you may put in a poll. Which do you prefer?

beltoller
06-02-12, 08:02 PM
Wow...I get to choose? On the rocks...

I dunno, I'm with the Retromancer, above. I suppose a good catch-all category would be Combat Sports - which would include everything from judo to drunken ping-pong.

KatrinaCaitlin
06-02-12, 08:31 PM
When I think of exercise I lie down until the thought goes away.

Haha kinda of an interesting answer, I like it:)

PookDo
06-02-12, 08:34 PM
I wish I could exercise but it bores me to tears

CheekyMonkey
06-02-12, 08:48 PM
I wish I could exercise but it bores me to tears

That's why I like circuit training the best. Exercise changes every 1-2 min!

jiffyPOP
06-02-12, 10:37 PM
Just curious to what others exercise habits are, and any diet things.

I chose walking, but really I like to trail hike. I eat plenty of protein and trying very, very, hard to cut out gluten from my diet!

CheekyMonkey
06-02-12, 10:40 PM
I chose walking, but really I like to trail hike. I eat plenty of protein and trying very, very, hard to cut out gluten from my diet!

It is only hard the first year. :lol:

If you need a gluten free mentor, let me know! :)

jiffyPOP
06-02-12, 10:44 PM
It is only hard the first year. :lol:

If you need a gluten free mentor, let me know! :)

I have been bad! :o I need to start reading labels more often but when I find stuff that says 'gluten free' I feel so happy! :lol:

CheekyMonkey
06-02-12, 11:04 PM
I have been bad! :o I need to start reading labels more often but when I find stuff that says 'gluten free' I feel so happy! :lol:

My trick for making through the transition: Buy a LOT of pre-made gluten free pastries and eat them! You need to find that you will be able to eat junk again! :lol:

I'm celiac so cheating isn't even on the menu. I'm glad....getting severely sick is a great motivator for being careful!

avjgirsijdhtjhs
06-03-12, 12:57 PM
Every morning. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5bBw4q7HiM

KatrinaCaitlin
06-04-12, 09:28 AM

How well does less gluten work in your diet? What are the benefits of a gluten free diet?

Usually I try for lower carbs, and definitely lower sodium, as I tend to bloat a little more with sodium I think than an average person. I'm currently trying to lose those last few pounds, that are usually harder to lose any advice?

beltoller
06-04-12, 10:21 AM
Soup - I thought it a spoof at first. ChessBoxing - using what's left o yer brains...too much.

Its not quite as parochial as one would think. If you've ever been hit hard in the face numerous times, you'll recollect the ringing tea-kettle in your ears and the tunnel vision that ensues would make a chess match a much more formidable thing that it would be otherwise.

jiffyPOP
06-04-12, 08:22 PM
How well does less gluten work in your diet? What are the benefits of a gluten free diet?

Usually I try for lower carbs, and definitely lower sodium, as I tend to bloat a little more with sodium I think than an average person. I'm currently trying to lose those last few pounds, that are usually harder to lose any advice?

Hmmm, this is not easy to answer. I am no expert, however I feel this diet might help me with my ADHD. Some people with gluten sensitivity (or Celiac ) can show ADHD symptoms from eating Gluten. see here:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/02/gluten-contribute-to-adhd.aspx

I can tell you that my initial response to gluten free has been very positive! :D I feel much better so far. BUT after I ate wheat (3 hot dogs on gluten loaded bun. blame memorial day weekend!!!) last week my whole body felt hungover for days. so there might just be something to gluten free diet :eyebrow:

Flory
06-04-12, 08:24 PM
beating the breaks off of pads and people twice a week :D

KatrinaCaitlin
06-04-12, 08:31 PM

Haha:rolleyes:

Rebelyell
06-04-12, 08:47 PM
Only thing I exercise is my big potty mouth:D

jiffyPOP
06-04-12, 08:49 PM
My trick for making through the transition: Buy a LOT of pre-made gluten free pastries and eat them! You need to find that you will be able to eat junk again! :lol:

I'm celiac so cheating isn't even on the menu. I'm glad....getting severely sick is a great motivator for being careful!

haha, yeah, I am eating lots of Bob's Red Mill bakery goods! Between this diet and the stim medication, I am master of my kitchen again!

jiffyPOP
06-04-12, 08:53 PM

go girl! I know you kick those pads *&^% :p

TheChemicals
06-04-12, 08:54 PM
When bored and exhausted and depressed:I walk around alot and have a strange habit of running up/down stairs.

When i feeling good: 3 miles 3X a week, 2 free weights 2x a week, boxing and sparring.