View Full Version : Do you think Wellbutin would be right for me?

vilrox
06-03-12, 08:41 PM
Topic says all.

Let me start in saying I was diagnosed with adhd inattentive about a year ago, and finding a medication that is compatible with me is very frustrating. I've tried adderall, straterra, and recently concerta.

Adderall
Pros: Worked the best when it was working. Had concentration, energy, motivation. Everything.

Cons: Terrible crashes, retarded insomnia, and my sex life was ... embarrassing. Definitely had a addiction to it as well.

Straterra (on currently)
Pros: Keeps me calm and lasts all day and can have sex lol.
Cons: No motivation, depression still at times, social awkwardness, cant focus.

Concerta
Pros: Nothing
Cons: My anxiety would be through the roof, not really that motivating or energy efficient.

My ADHD comes with an anxiety disorder of some kind and possibly mood swings.

I'm 22 and I want to go back to school and feel like I'm too overwhelmed with having the cons of straterra. I don't think I'm going to find a magical pill that is going to work perfectly. But I dont want insomina or an addiction like adderall and I want to be able to have a sex life and still be able to focus and have energy without setting off my anxiety or depression on it or while crashing. Do you think that Wellbutrin would be right for me and what problems do you all have taking Wellbutrin?

Slo-mo a-go-go
06-04-12, 03:47 AM
Well I think it's worth a try, based on what you said.

sounds like you've done a good cost/ benefit analysis going while you are in the med trial and error process. nice job!

Also inattentive ADHD w/ depression & anxiety, I found wellbutrin to be great for me, especially in the sense of feeling like myself, just more bouyant. Initially the only side effect I had was dry mouth that was gone in a month.

BUT I have to say that I was one of the few who ended up having seizures bc of the med. that is very rare but occurs despite having no prior seizures.
But if I didn't drive, and took a counteractive seizure med, Wellbutrin was so helpful for me I would take it again!

Maria123
06-04-12, 07:41 PM
I have had to try many ADHD drugs as well and was put on wellbutrin. It helped for a little while but after a month and a half it really does very little.

vilrox
06-05-12, 04:38 PM
Thanks maria and slow mo for the advice. Its hard to find support with the people around me that just dont understand my situation, at times including my M.D.(lol) I love these forums for the support. Thanks you two, I think I may give it a try.

Slo-mo a-go-go
06-15-12, 07:12 PM
I hope Wellbutrin helps by giving you a bit of relief in dealing with your symptoms and how much they affect you.

Yes these forums are an amazing source of support!

anonymouslyadd
06-15-12, 07:21 PM
I love wellbutrin, but I find it most helpful for my depression. I know it's listed as a treatment for ADD too, and I'm not disputing that.

Good luck.

AceRockolla
06-18-12, 11:22 PM
ADHD, primarily inattentive here. I was officially diagnosed as an adult (at twenty-six), was prescribed Adderall, which was very effective. But then I was without health insurance for a while, but then finally got some this year.

Anyway, after going through the rigomaroll with a new psych, getting re-diagnosed with ADHD, I was offered Wellbutrin. Not sure why this was the starting med (must be cheaper or something), but I kept an open mind and tried it. And it did absolutely nothing for me. Just a waste of money and time. I'm not depressed, but the doc insisted this is also used to treat ADHD and has a record of success, but it did nothing for me.

I know some people benefit from this medicine, but I was disappointed with it.