View Full Version : What is the better benzo for sleep?

reflection08
06-04-12, 09:48 PM
I was taking 30 mgs of Temazepam but felt really blurry eyed and tired the next day so the doc switched me to the 15 but she said if one didn't work I could take two. Just 15 mgs doesn't work so I end up taking two and of course I'm still blurry eyed and tired the next day. Is there a better benzo I could take just for sleep? Valium or Xanax maybe

Sandy4957
06-05-12, 12:20 AM
I take lorazepam as a sleep aid on an as-needed basis (currently several nights a month, it seems to me). I don't need much of it, though. 2.5 milligrams can do it. If I take 5 milligrams, I'll be out until 9:00 am or so, which is too late for me most days. So I only take it when I won't sleep without it, but more and more I don't need it, if that makes sense.

Abi
06-05-12, 12:25 AM
Try Rohypnol, Nitrazepam or Xanax

sarahsweets
06-05-12, 04:36 AM
Have you tried hypnotic? I'm not anti bexo by any means I j ust know that tolerance can delvelp.

Chace90
06-06-12, 08:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend benzodiazepines to sleep, from my experience. Unless it is a short time frame that you plan on taking them to sleep. I was taking Klonopin twice daily and then I switched to taking it twice daily as needed. But, it has almost lost its hypnotic effects completely. What I mean is it no longer makes me tired or relaxes my muscles. It still stops panic attacks and that what counts for me. Anyway I wouldn't recommend taking it long term for sleep.

spc123
06-06-12, 08:27 PM
Agree with Chace. Benzo's are for short term treatment only. Ativan (lorazepam) is probably your best bet if temazepam is leaving you "hung over". Another non-prescription option is diphenhydramine (Benedryl). 50-100mg will knock out most people. Again though, short term use only.

reflection08
06-07-12, 08:05 AM
I've taken Benadryl every night for 27 years and it's always worked until about 3 years ago so I've has to add something else with it or I don't sleep.

sarahsweets
06-07-12, 08:45 AM
Unisom has worked for me sometimes.

Amtram
06-07-12, 12:25 PM
It really depends on why you're not sleeping. I've tried every sleep aid available, and absolutely nothing works for me except alprazolam - and that, only the Sandoz generic version. A benzo shouldn't be your first choice when looking for a sleep aid, but sometimes it's unavoidable.

The thing to remember is that they can become habit forming, and even if you don't find yourself "needing" them or needing higher and higher doses, you have to taper down very slowly if you want to discontinue them. This might not be as important if you're transitioning to a different one, and that depends on which ones we're talking about. Your doctor will let you know.

To reduce the amount of wooziness you feel in the morning, you can try taking a smaller dose or taking it earlier at night, but if that doesn't work, you just need to try something different, and there's no magic formula for figuring out which one will work better. Talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks, and you might end up with something that's better for you than what you're using now.

known_guy
07-17-12, 10:40 PM
Some people find Ativan helpful for insomnia, especially with difficulties falling asleep. If early awakenings aren't an issue for you. Temazepam has a longer duration of action and such, which may explain the morning tiredness.

Or you could try Dormicum (Midazolam), or if daring enough, Halcion - dangerous!

oneup
07-18-12, 12:13 AM
Versed. It will knock you out and you won't remember a thing. I think this is the same as midazolam? Its crazy strong.

ceebee
07-18-12, 11:06 AM
Long-term? None of them. You will just develop tolerance very quickly and it'll stop working, you might even develop interdose withdrawal symptoms (and benzodiazepine withdrawal is horrible). Bottomline, benzos only for short-term stuff and rare PRNs.

alan1
07-18-12, 04:00 PM
CeeBee has it exactly right. They all work. Then they stop working unless you take more. And then you can't sleep without them and the sleep that you do get is not normal and not fully restful.

I have had a lifelong battle with insomnia as many with ADHD do. A sleep clinic had only pills to offer and I was switched from one to the other. There are two books that I have found particularly helpful:
- Desperately Seeking Snoozin
- Say Good Night To Insomnia
Their recommendations are based on getting your sleep patterns more aligned with your biological clock. The first is a more glib, easy read. The second is a bit more dense and scientific. They offer a similar program.

It was VERY hard for the first few days since they have you start off by actually sleeping only for the amount of time you actually sleep. So if you lay in bed from 10 PM until 1 AM trying to sleep then get only 4 hours, they have you not get into bed until ! AM and then put an alarm on for 4 hours. I guarentee that two things will happen: For the first few days you will be exhasted. You will desperately want a nap. But, if you follow the instructions fully, byt the 2nd or 3rd night you will not just fall asleep rapidly, you will pass out and sleep deeply. Then you will slowly add to the amount of time you sleep. Those first few days especially were awful. BUT it totally worked. Sure, I still get the occasional sleepless night here and there, but I don't sweat it because I know how to get back on a good schedule.

tambourine-man
07-21-12, 03:45 AM
If you feel a benzodiazepine is in order (which, as others have mentioned, will likely not be effective longterm) you're best option outside of temazepam is Dalmane (Flurazepam), another hypnotic benzo.

However, I've found that there is no more effective sleep aid than Seroquel in doses of 25-50mg. It is guaranteed to knock you out every night without nasty tolerance build up. Temazepam is a lovely little pill, perhaps the most pleasently relaxing of all benzos, but before long you you run into major tolerance and dependency issues.

CottonCandy_12
08-06-12, 04:52 AM
I have used Ativan intermittently for 14 years, sometimes for long periods. It currently takes 1.5 mg to stop a bad panic attack. Lower doses to sleep. It helps me stop ruminations of decades of mostly emotional trauma. A lot of times I'll just ruminate but if I feel tears coming on, I take the Ativan. It helps me sleep but I can take it during the day and not feel drowsy. . . I know.. Weird. I have never taken more than 2 mg in a day. That was only once that I took 2mg. For panic. Ambien on the other hand, I'm zonked out the whole next day. Lunesta as well. ... Although its a little better than ambien. My point is for me I have not had to substantially increase the dose. Ativan and lamictal and therapy as well as dextrostat have been helpful for me. I have taken Valium and Xanax. But I've never asked for or been prescribed klonopin....not sure why.. . Maybe not as good for someone who can easily be triggered into deep depression? I'm not complaining. I have something that more or less works. I will say the dex comedown since I recently restarted it has been very anxiety provoking for me and it wasn't in the past....gives me chest pain... But my doc knows and thinks its anxiety. I think my BP must go up with the come down too b/c my pulse bounds. I only take 5-10 mg at a time too. More on that some other time.

Altair
11-26-12, 01:05 AM
Rohypnol is illegal in U.S and A but Halcion will do

Abi
11-26-12, 01:27 AM
Yeah I was not aware of that at the time I posted.

Rohypnol (flunitrazepam) and Mogadon (nitrazepam) are unfortunately not FDA approved.

Electra2
11-26-12, 02:29 AM
How about just using Melatonin in periods if possible,
because they don't make you that sleepy during the next day and such.
Maybe you could also try Atatrax?

Dmitri
11-26-12, 02:32 AM
Lorazepam is the best benzo but I prefer barbituates like Zolpidem... only problem is if you don't go to sleep you'll do... stupid things lol

Dmitri
11-26-12, 02:34 AM
Roofies are the best out of anything but highly illegal in US- most common daterape drug

Electra2
11-26-12, 02:44 AM
Allso, the benefit of Melatonin is; it doesn't make you forget...

Dmitri
11-26-12, 10:16 AM
Forgot about that, but that's no problem if you go straight to sleep because in my experience you only experience amnesia for the period you were under the influence, and its not so much forgetting as distinguishing what happened and what was a dream.

Electra2
11-26-12, 01:08 PM
Forgot about that, but that's no problem if you go straight to sleep because in my experience you only experience amnesia for the period you were under the influence, and its not so much forgetting as distinguishing what happened and what was a dream.

Some sleepingpills can make you do wierd stuff you would never do awake and then forget about it. Its really creepy....when you wake up it's like a hangover,"what happend last night??" :umm1: It's no good.
I know someone who does that...and can't recall what happend.But I know it did because I saw it with my own two eyes.

Dmitri
11-26-12, 03:40 PM
Some sleepingpills can make you do wierd stuff you would never do awake and then forget about it. Its really creepy....when you wake up it's like a hangover,"what happend last night??" :umm1: It's no good.
I know someone who does that...and can't recall what happend.But I know it did because I saw it with my own two eyes.

No I know exactly wharf you're talking about. It takes up to a week but eventually you'll recall what happened.... the morning after you can't remember anything lol.

Electra2
11-26-12, 03:48 PM
No I know exactly wharf you're talking about. It takes up to a week but eventually you'll recall what happened.... the morning after you can't remember anything lol.

Sometimes yes,bit by bits, sometimes no.
My relative doesn't remember anything even a long time after.
She allso talkes in "drowsy" way with a groggy speech,
often lower then her natural voice,often confused.
But she says she can't sleep without.
But I personally don't think its worth it,
better to just use melatonin,IMO. :)

known_guy
11-26-12, 08:53 PM
Versed. It will knock you out and you won't remember a thing. I think this is the same as midazolam? Its crazy strong.

Yep, also in some places known as Dormicum.

For the OP's purposes, I would suggest Ativan as others have mentioned (mind you, that's my non-professional opinion!) if a benzodiazepine is really preferable. Other options include Seroquel, Trazodone, Vistaril, even Doxepin, ..., none of which are benzodiazepines and thus are unlikely to lead to any significant dependence issues. Least, not to the extent that benzodiazepines are notorious for; not to mention, cognitive impairment. I currently am taking Restoril but only because my insomnia was so severe I was desperate. I want to give Atarax/Vistaril a try.

Altair
11-27-12, 01:42 AM
Lorazepam is the best benzo but I prefer barbituates like Zolpidem... only problem is if you don't go to sleep you'll do... stupid things lol

Zolpidiem is nowhere near close to being a barbituate. Its a Z-drug brand name ambien. In my pharmacy we dispense barbs to animal clinics for dog seazures. not many humans take it since benzos replaced them. With barbs if the doctor gave you a dose higher than you could handle you could easily die.

wizfor
12-16-12, 12:13 AM
I take lorazepam 1mg occasionally -- feels like once a day now. it doesnt make me tired, but so far it's the only drug that is able to calm me down. when I'm bored, anxious, pacing around, looking for something to do but nothing interests me, a lorazepam really helps. doesnt make me sleepy at all though.. maybe its because its only 1mg

reflection08
01-22-13, 02:11 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I haven't gotten on here in awhile. My doc gave me xanax which works great but I still have to take 4 Tylenol PM's with it. The last two months I've gotten a different brand when I pick up my script. It's purpac and its terrible. The mylan brand is so much better and when I see her next m

reflection08
01-22-13, 02:14 PM
whoops. Sorry. Next month I'm going to ask for the Temazepam again. I don't like that purpac crap. I wake up and can't go back to sleep so I end up taking another Xanax. Which I don't wont to do.

saturday
01-22-13, 02:29 PM
25mgs of seroquel works great as a sleep aid and its not habit forming.

medicatedchev
01-25-13, 01:27 AM
There are a few things you can use that are almost guaranteed to work. Drugs like Soma (carisoprodal) with a low tolerance to GABA drugs (benzos, tranquilizers, ect) or butalbital (Fiorocet) will definitively knock you out. So will barbituates or Milltown but that's not practical these days.

The next choice and probably best choice would be benzos. Temazepam, Ativan, or xanax are commonly prescribed and work fine. You're looking for benzo that has strong sedative and hypnotic properties. Do a little research. I like ativan, it kicks in quick and packs a punch. It seems to last through the night and not leave me groggy the next morning, unlike my Klonopins I take everyday. Klonopin will put you to sleep, but it takes too long to kick in and lasts WAY to long to be used as a sleep aid. You'll be high all the next day, at least.

The next choice, if your doctor is holding out or you want something less addictive, would be a z-drug like Ambien (zolpidem) or Lunesta, Sonata, there's a few. These drugs work on the same receptors as the benzos do, but they're more targeted to the receptors dealing with sleep, and thus cause a lot less effects overall. This makes them less abusable. I personally take ambien, but I prefere Ativan. It's just easier to get more Ambiens from my doc.

If your doc wont prescribe any of that stuff, find a new doc. Of course you're not going to get Somas or Barbs for sleep, but asking for a small dose of Ativan or 10mgs of Ambien (I take 20) for sleep is not asking a lot.