View Full Version : Maximizing Google

anonymouslyadd
06-05-12, 09:25 PM
I'd like to discuss many things about Google in this thread. Not only is its email powerful, it contains many other features. Companies will be using these features in the future, I believe.

First topic: organizing emails in gmail

I'm wondering how I should be organizing my emails. I find myself getting confused as to which label an email should go to. Sometimes, two labels can apply.

For instance, let's say I have an email from Jane Doe in my inbox, and I want to move it to a label. Jane is a member of my Toastmaster's group-with meetings once a week. Her email involves something she wants me to do at our next meeting.

Here's my problem...I have a label for Jane Doe and one for Toastmasters. Using the example above, should I put the email from Jane in her label or the Toastmaster's label?:scratch:

I get confused about this all the time.:o

silivrentoliel
06-05-12, 09:35 PM
What's the email about? That's what I'd do.

I organize mine by sender, doesn't matter the context. That way I know where to look. Although I have a "receipts" folder and "professional communications" folder that intermingle with each other a LOT.

anonymouslyadd
06-05-12, 09:37 PM
What's the email about? That's what I'd do.

I organize mine by sender, doesn't matter the context. That way I know where to look. Although I have a "receipts" folder and "professional communications" folder that intermingle with each other a LOT.
In my example, I say that the email is about something Jane wants me to do at the next Toastmaster's meeting. I like your idea of just sticking with the sender.

silivrentoliel
06-05-12, 09:43 PM
In my example, I say that the email is about something Jane wants me to do at the next Toastmaster's meeting. I like your idea of just sticking with the sender.

Simplifies it for me... I mean, I know Jane Doe sent me the email, but I don't remember what she wrote me about... so rather than digging thru everything, I just pull up her folder. :D

Sandy4957
06-05-12, 11:50 PM
My archived emails are organized by topic/file, because I can always search the entire folder by sender, but that's not likely to be helpful to me. So I organize by topic and then search for more details (date, sender, key words).

Now, I do this in Outlook, not gmail, but I assume that it's similar.

CheekyMonkey
06-06-12, 12:25 AM
I don't bother with labels since I just use search. Probably not the best idea. :lol:

Also, is anyone else on Google+? I use it more than Facebook nowadays.

anonymouslyadd
06-06-12, 12:47 AM
I don't bother with labels since I just use search. Probably not the best idea. :lol:

Also, is anyone else on Google+? I use it more than Facebook nowadays.
The search is OK, but my problem came into play when I couldn't find things.:mad: I was so upset the other day. I thought I had everything saved.

What about sent mail? I usually bcc myself on every email to ensure I always have a copy.

I am on Google+ by the way, but I don't use it very much.

anonymouslyadd
06-06-12, 12:51 AM
My archived emails are organized by topic/file, because I can always search the entire folder by sender, but that's not likely to be helpful to me. So I organize by topic and then search for more details (date, sender, key words).
Gmail has an archived feature, which I'm learning to implement. I think you're referring to your folders as archived. Archived emails in gmail are different from ones in labels/folders. I'm not sure what that difference is though. I know that archiving is a way to not delete something you may end up needing in the future.

CheekyMonkey
06-06-12, 12:55 AM
The search is OK, but my problem came into play when I couldn't find things.:mad: I was so upset the other day. I thought I had everything saved.

What about sent mail? I usually bcc myself on every email to ensure I always have a copy.

I am on Google+ by the way, but I don't use it very much.

That happened to me when I was trying to find an email about my flight information. I had a tad bit of a meltdown in front of my family. :(

I love Google+! I find some many great communities on there!

salleh
06-06-12, 01:13 AM
Just for fun I went and looked at how many emails I had in my gmail account .....

31,XXX.......

and I even went through them a few ,months ago and took out all the ebay stuff.. ( and I ebay a lot) ...and the astrology thingies....and canceled those while I was at it, never read them anyway .....

but I belong to a group started from the "i can has cheezeburger" blog, and they are a chatty group....a reaaaaaaaallly chatty group.....thousands of emails from them .....

I supose I'll just have to sit down one day and spend many hours going through them and deleting stuff ....again .....

and I label stuff then forget about them ....

and what is google plus and what good stuff do you do with it ?

and I only respond to people who send me messages through facebook, I don't spend anytime on that ....but my best friend from grade school found me through that , not to mention several other friends from my halcyon days of youth in the Sonoma Valley ....but I never know what to do on facebook.....I just don'[t get it

salleh
06-06-12, 01:15 AM
Oh forgot ....I am a devout fan of "googling" .....I find that if I am without a computer for any length of time ....like 1/2 a day .....I get twitchy cause I google stuff so much .....

got a question about anything at all .....I head for google .....

it is a life saver

anonymouslyadd
06-06-12, 01:17 AM
and what is google plus and what good stuff do you do with it ?
Google+ is Google's social networking platform designed to compete with Facebook. They got into the game of social media much late. It will be interesting to see if they can catch up even marginally.

KronarTheBlack
06-06-12, 02:05 AM
I have over 6000 emails on gmail and none in any folders. Search is my friend.

anonymouslyadd
06-06-12, 02:13 AM
I have over 6000 emails on gmail and none in any folders. Search is my friend.
That's exactly what I want to prevent! I am approaching 2,000.

meadd823
06-06-12, 02:41 AM
I'd like to discuss many things about Google in this thread. Not only is its email powerful, it contains many other features. Companies will be using these features in the future, I believe.

I'm wondering how I should be organizing my emails. I find myself getting confused as to which label an email should go to. Sometimes, two labels can apply.

For instance, let's say I have an email from Jane Doe in my inbox, and I want to move it to a label. Jane is a member of my Toastmaster's group-with meetings once a week. Her email involves something she wants me to do at our next meeting.

Here's my problem...I have a label for Jane Doe and one for Toastmasters. Using the example above, should I put the email from Jane in her label or the Toastmaster's label?:scratch:

I would have filed it in my toast masters folder because the e-mail isn't about Jane but some thing she wants you to do relating to toastmasters. I typically remember who sent me e-mails and I often remember I am supposed to do some thing but for me the problem is remembering who wanted me to do what and when -

I would have to also add the activity on my calendar that hangs on the wall next to my computer desk or it simply isn't going to happen.

MX2012
06-06-12, 08:53 AM

Sounds like you should put all of Jane Doe's emails into Toastmaster's since it sounds like your interaction with Jane is primarily involved with Toastmasters.

I have a suggestion--use the search email function to find email.

anonymouslyadd
06-08-12, 04:27 AM
Sounds like you should put all of Jane Doe's emails into Toastmaster's since it sounds like your interaction with Jane is primarily involved with Toastmasters.

I have a suggestion--use the search email function to find email.
I was thinking about this yesterday. I don't have an easy time deciphering what should go in this folder and that folder. It's really a sorting problem. I'm thinking it's probably easier for me to just put it in the folder by sender.

I know about the search function, but it doesn't help when you've deleted an email.:(

zoekate
06-08-12, 08:50 AM

BOTH!!!

This is the great thing about gmail labels versus traditional email folders. One email can have multiple labels so you can put it in ALL the relevant categories!

anonymouslyadd
06-11-12, 08:06 AM
BOTH!!!

This is the great thing about gmail labels versus traditional email folders. One email can have multiple labels so you can put it in ALL the relevant categories!
I don't get the labels thing unless it's just a quick way to categorize email. With outlook, I could create a folder within a folder. That's the same concept your talking about, I think.

hjajck
06-11-12, 12:06 PM
The search is OK, but my problem came into play when I couldn't find things.

I also have a hard time with the search function. I don't delete anything, ever, except for SPAM. So, I don't understand why I can't find things.

I name my labels by topic/person. In the event that they fall into two categories, I will place them under two labels.

spunkysmum
06-11-12, 12:08 PM

This is just the kind of thing that gets to me when I'm trying to organize paperwork or really almost everything and anything. I feel like there has to be a just-right category for everything, and soon the range of categories grows to a ridiculous number.