View Full Version : Have you ever met someone that has Tourettes Syndrome

Energizer_Bunny
06-12-03, 06:23 PM
Have you ever met someone in person that has Tourettes Syndrome? And if so, did you feel being around that person?

* Yes

*No

*I thought they may have TS, but I was not sure

Tara
06-12-03, 06:38 PM
My 1st year away at college one of my friend's roomates had TS. He had both the phsyical tics and the verbal outbursts. At the time I had no idea what TS was and didn't realize that the stuff that what coming out of this kid's mouth was related to TS. And some really nasty things came out of his mouth. I thought the kid was just being a jerk. Then I heard him on the phone with his own parents and it started to make more sense to me.

I have also had some students who seemed to have more mild forms of it.

joanrdtobe
06-12-03, 07:21 PM
I voted "no" in the poll. Not that I know of... But have seen a guest with TS on a T.V. talk show...just can't remember which one....Montel? :)

Energizer_Bunny
06-13-03, 09:12 PM
WHen I was diagnosed with it, I had never met anyone with it. When I finally did, it really hit home and I thought, hey there are others. But the ones that I met first, were the children, and not the adults. It put the disorder on a different scale for me.

Garry
06-13-03, 09:22 PM
We had a salesman who came to our store and at first iI didn't have any idea what was going on . I thoght he was talking about us under his breath.

It was an eye opener for me

healthwiz
06-16-03, 02:47 AM
I've known of one. He earned my company some bad marks. He seemed very pleasant and easy to talk to, but his actions demonstrated a different person. His judgement was exceptionally poor. I don't have much good to say, so I won't say more. This may have just been who he was as a person and not had anything to do with Tourettes. His was an exceptionally mild case. I feel bad talking about the negative side of this person, as it may not have anything to do with TS, and I don't want to make a negative impression about TS. I know very little about the disorder, except the obvious symptoms of tics and cussing wildly...and I might have that wrong as well.

aforceforgood
06-16-03, 05:34 AM
I know people who have "cinematic tourettes"- that is, they seem constitutionally incapable of just shutting the H up for 2 hours when they are in a dark room.

I don't understand this- can someone please explain to me why people like this sit through the preview that asks you to turn off your cell phone, and be quiet, and somehow they rationalize that that means everyone but them? What kind of thought process leads you to that conclusion?

How is it that mr. french fry guy figures he has something so witty or illuminating to say (that the hundreds of people who've already spent thousands of man-hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars distilling down a vision of a movie into a 2 hour period meant to be experienced in a specific way) that the movie makers DIDN'T think of (picture it; the editing room, and one guy says to the other; "I sure hope someone says "dang, man, that chick is BAD!") that they feel they have to say it? WTF?!

Energizer_Bunny
06-21-03, 05:46 PM
Healthwiz,

Most of the people that I have met with Tourttes are very nice and open individuals. As far as his judgement being poor, he could have ADHD and as a result was a very impulsive individual. There is an important link between motor and behavioral manifestationsof TS and that is the loss of impulse control. Many TS patients suffer from poor impulsie control, disinhibition of aggression and emotions, and obsessive thoughts that may dictate their actions. Poor impulse control may also explain the inablity to control anger as a result of which many patients have frequent and sometimes violent, temper outbursts and rages.
I hope this may help explain what may have been going on with the guy at you company.

Tourettes Syndrome is a neurobiological disorder. It is brief or intermittent movements such or motor tics or sounds that typically consist of sudden often repetive movements, gestures and utterances that mimic fragments of normal behavior. To have a diagnosis of TS, you must have both vocal and motor tics. Tics can be both simple and complex. The media has on many occassions not correctly defined TS. They show it has peple who have outbursts of cussing which is known as coprolalia. You do not have to have corprolalia to have TS which I do not have. I thought I did at once point, but to this day I am not sure, since I no longer say it. TS can be anywhere from mild to severe and can be very painful.

I hope this helps you some with your definition of TS and what it exactly is.

Also for those you who dont' know much about the disorder

BitterPeace
10-26-03, 06:50 PM
I just found out that a person I've known for a year or two has Tourette's Syndrome. I could never tell that he had it, but we dated recently and he told me about it. I don't have it myself, so it's kind of hard for me to understand exactly what it's like to live through something like that.

This isn't exactly relevant, and I know this isn't a dating forum, but I have a question for you guys if you could answer it for me :). The guy I'm referring to seems kind of emotionally inept sometimes...is that due to the disorder?

I just wanted to learn a bit about it so I could understand him a little better. Thanks for listening.

~Bitterpeace

Andrew
10-29-03, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the Forums, BitterPeace. :)

Christiana
01-15-04, 04:10 AM
I know two kids with TS, (brother/sister) who went to a camp with me growing up. They were mis-diagnosed with ADD for years before it was realized. (well... maybe they had both, but I think the official diagnosis was just TS)
just wanted to say that it's not as uncommon as I thought it was.

citruscat2002
01-15-04, 12:17 PM
Because my background is in developmental services, the individuals I have met with TS also had an intellectual disability. Don't know if this resulted in less inhibition or not (doubt there's any difference).
I remember seeing an item on tv about a neurosurgeon in British Columbia (Canada) who had TS -- it was really interesting and I learned something. He had absolute control over his tics while performing surgery. He said he had strategies to help with this like "getting it out" beforehand and afterwards. His family was awsome too -- gave him ideas for verbal tics etc. Everyone (patients/family) had a great deal of respect and love for him because he was good at what he did and was compassionate and understanding to all.

Draga
01-30-04, 10:51 PM
I have met someone online who has tourettes.........Oh wait Bunny that's you :p and you are just as sweet as you can be:). even if I met ya in person I would want to be around you. People shoule judge for what is on the inside and not for things they cannot control.

HummerzDad
02-23-04, 10:33 AM
My daughter has Tourette's......... It is an interesting condition and it changes often! If you need more information I can offer you what I know!

Energizer_Bunny
03-07-04, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input hummer. I have it as well and was diagnosed at 36. I hope she is doing well and manages it well.

BnB
03-09-04, 08:20 PM
Love your quote hummer,....and could not agree with mel more.

My son has tourettes,....and i know bunny,....thats it i think. And im only beginning to understand tourettes. Not doing to good at it yet. I always thought my sons facial tics were part of his ADD or his OCD and thought any verbal tics he had was smart assedness or goofing off.

:bowl: Hey cool different smileys,.....lol, i never saw these ones before. :p :yin-yang: :uhh: i like it or them,...sorry got caught up in playing

Energizer_Bunny
03-09-04, 09:17 PM
Yes you know me BNB. Ya know, there is still so much about TS that I am learning as well and if you have any questions or if I can help you in any way, you know that I am here for you and any other forum member for that matter.

I am thankful that at work, my office mate is so understanding and she laughs in a good way at my tics. Especially the ones that I don't realize I am doing and she even tells me about new vocal ones that I do. I have to admit, I come up with some really cute noises.

A few weeks back, my tics had started up again, and I would go down the hall, and look into each office and do my Mr Ed tic. No telling what the other employees were thinking of me when I did that. And why I had to look into each office and do that, I have no idea.................. My office mate had brought it to my attention about 3/4 th's the way down the hall, and by the time we got to my office we were laughing so hard. But I am glad that along with my TS, I am so thankful that I can put humor with it. I believe it helps others to be more comfortable with TS as well.

BnB
03-09-04, 09:47 PM
yes bunny,...you have alwaysbeen willing to chat and thank you. Wow, your office mate sounds fun like you. LOL, what a roit that must of been.

Energizer_Bunny
03-10-04, 02:50 AM
You are so welcome.

And yes she is a blast. She is even OCD which is great for me. I am OCD as well but because of the ADHD I still have problems with organization. So is a big help with that. When I have a moment of having to reorganize my desk, she will not do it for me, but give me suggestions on what to do and guide me through it.

We even turn on music and sing together and oh my gosh, it is so awful but so much fun.

Then there is nap time. We close the door, turn out the lights and nap and set the alarm. It is like a little slumber party and we always end up giggling about something before we go to sleep. I have a few blankets one homemade pillow, a neck pillow and my ear plugs.

I could go on and on about this..........

twinkleshines
07-21-04, 07:52 AM
Hi im a newbie!
My husband was diagnosed with tourettes today, he was 36 last monday. I happened upon your site while surfing the net for info on tourettes.
love
twink