View Full Version : beta blockers....

monsterdirt
06-10-12, 11:27 PM
Hello!
ive been on the anxiety fight for almost a year n half or soo...
6 months ago was diagnosed adhd.
well at first my anxiety would fly out the wall.... panic attacks every day. not all were full on panic, but the anxiety happened ya know?
eventually i grabbed myself and took control... most of the way. But i still get this feeling of pressure in my left chest n arm and it brings more anxiety

recently saw a cardiologist did sum xrays ultrasounds n a stress test
haven't herd back yet but but its been a week. so i assume there's nothing serious... my primary care doctor just thinks I'm having anxiety. and so do i but.... you know how that little idea of "what if?" gos

was researching on beta blocker....

the words Ive read seem back and forth.. are they dangerous? I saw a large amount of intense things on the adverse effect list. beta blocker seem right up my alley. I'm just getting the impression that they might be to good for you.. can anyone help me out?

Kaotix
07-13-12, 12:16 PM
Beta-blockers are no big deal and they will help a little if it works as intended.

Lisa_Mac
07-13-12, 01:39 PM
I've taken 30mg of Inderal a day for the last 20 years. No side effects. No problems. They saved my life and my sanity.

Lx

Sandy4957
07-13-12, 06:46 PM
They can cause a weight gain because they lower your metabolism.

Having said that, I LOVE taking them for the "quieting" of my mind. If only the weight gain wasn't an issue for me...

known_guy
07-17-12, 10:34 PM
When taken as prescribed, beta blockers aren't dangerous. As previous posts have said, it's not going to significantly influence cognition in one way or the other. Helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety.

lindsey91
10-07-12, 09:22 PM
I too fight the anxiety and adhd. my adderall certianly helps the adhd, but sends my heart racing (possibly due to anxiety about heart problems, ironically. I know how ya feel, dealing with chest tightness, pain, etc.)

The fast heart rate at first didn't cause me any complications unless i was in a nerve racking situation, like public speaking, which would send it into overdrive and result in severe palpitations and lightheadedness. This was the initial reason I was given Inderal (propanolol) and it helped tons.

Since I seem to have a fast heart rate a majority of the time nowadays, my psych has put me on 10mg of daily inderal use. I know it helps my symptoms immensely. She says it's safe, but sometimes I'm not too sure... I think that's just my anxiety talking!

Let us know what the results are, take care

Samantha Nicole
10-09-12, 10:13 PM
Bring it up with your doctor and see. I was put on metoprolol to lower my heart rate and my doctor told me it'd reduce anxiety since having a faster heart beat you're more prone. Good luck