View Full Version : 'Risky Rise of the Good-Grade Pill'

Retromancer
06-11-12, 04:42 PM
I have just started reading this article. So far it correlates with what I have seen on this forum over the last four years. (Waxing and waning with the academic calendar, for some odd reason.) This quote leaped out at me: "It’s one thing if you have a real deficiency — the medicine is really important to those people — but not if your deficiency is not getting into Brown.” For many of our young posters not getting to the elite college of their choice is a severe deficiency, to be remedied by getting a diagnosis from an understanding clinician and an Adderall script in their eager hands. The upper limit of functionality is being pushed ever upwards. An inconvenient but unavoidable truth.

Risky Rise of the Good-Grade Pill | New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/education/seeking-academic-edge-teenagers-abuse-stimulants.html)

K-Funk
06-12-12, 01:37 AM
Sorry, just gotta ask....you and I both posted opinion pieces from the NY times as the starting point to a discussion about the changing role of ADHD drugs in our society but mine was moved to the news subforum. What did I do wrong Retro???

Retromancer
06-12-12, 02:35 AM
I dunno but apparently I did it too. Shhh, you can hear the crickets.

Sorry, just gotta ask....you and I both posted opinion pieces from the NY times as the starting point to a discussion about the changing role of ADHD drugs in our society but mine was moved to the news subforum. What did I do wrong Retro???

Drewbacca
06-12-12, 03:40 AM
I need to get me some of those "Good-Grade Pills" because my Adderall prescription certainly isn't cutting it!

Amtram
06-12-12, 12:48 PM
I'd guess because it's news? Hey, I'll discuss it, because I have a friend who's involved in clinical research on developmental psychology, and he's been linking to a ton of these on facebook the last week or so. It gets me so incredibly irritated, because whether the article acknowledges or disputes the existence of ADD, whatever take it has on stimulant medication, it's always followed by bucketloads of comments from ignoramuses.

I'm not a violent person. I've never even once spanked my kids. But some of these people. . .I'd like to turn them over my knee and go at them with a belt, stopping every few minutes and asking "Are you still stupid? Yeah? Well, I guess I have to keep beating it out of you!" It might not be the panacea they seem to think it is, but it sure would make me feel better.

Retromancer
06-12-12, 02:56 PM
I would be less concerned about the inevitable comment section blowhards than the clear drug seeking that ebbs and flows with the academic calendar that's present on this forum. Denial of the existence of AD(H)D doesn't justify denial of the existence of this drug seeking. It is so blatant.

salleh
06-12-12, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't mind the drug seeking, if it didn't get in the way of those of us with ADHD gettting the meds we need ......

I don't give a good g** d*** what anyone else does ....as long as it doesn't stop me from getting what I personally need...

I know that sounds bad, although I am not quite sure why it does .....but screw it .....

as long as I, and my fellow sufferers can get our meds ...who cares what anyone else does ....

that being said , it isn't the way it is ....so ......don't know what to do about it ....

Retromancer
06-12-12, 04:23 PM
The drug seeking may end up causing a cross the board clampdown on prescribing stimulants -- it happened once before in this country. The fact that we have high school students snorting amphetamine in their cars before they start the school day has to registering in the minds of those who regulate medications.

I wouldn't mind the drug seeking, if it didn't get in the way of those of us with ADHD gettting the meds we need ......

I don't give a good g** d*** what anyone else does ....as long as it doesn't stop me from getting what I personally need...

I know that sounds bad, although I am not quite sure why it does .....but screw it .....

as long as I, and my fellow sufferers can get our meds ...who cares what anyone else does ....

that being said , it isn't the way it is ....so ......don't know what to do about it ....

Retromancer
06-12-12, 04:39 PM
Read and be afraid:

Retrospective epidemiology indicates that the absolute prevalence of both nonmedical stimulant use and stimulant dependence or abuse have reached nearly the same levels today as at the epidemic’s peak around 1969. Further parallels between epidemics past and present, including evidence that consumption of prescribed amphetamines has also reached the same absolute levels today as at the original epidemic’s peak, suggest that stricter limits on pharmaceutical stimulants must be considered in any efforts to reduce amphetamine abuse today.

America’s First Amphetamine Epidemic 1929–1971
A Quantitative and Qualitative Retrospective With Implications for the Present (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2377281/)

Flory
06-12-12, 05:10 PM
Nice post...

Flory
06-12-12, 05:14 PM
Luckily we don't seem to really have this problem over here...bizzarely to access adult adhd services you have to have (or at least in my pct) a childhood history of and diagnosis....I appreciate the need for correct diagnosis and treatment however I feel these 'miracle pill poppers' really skew things for genuine sufferers...adderall seems to be handed out like candy state side....I'm not against people seeking help for genuine problems but when it creates misconceptions about the disorder and the sufferers I start to feel ruffled...another member recently posted something about a malingering test to detect these 'miracle pill' seekers

plank80
06-12-12, 06:03 PM
This is why they should always talk to a family member thats known you all your life. Thats what happens in the UK.

Flory
06-12-12, 06:43 PM
Lol at the ivy league university business as well....I'm lucky to still be alive considering some of the situations and problems I've faced because of my adhd, shame I can't shake off those debt collectors...ahh joy

Dmitri
06-12-12, 06:53 PM
wait a second wait a second wait a second.
If all these horrible effects happen to people using ADD meds only to get good grades... Wouldn't those with a prescription get the same effects, if not worse, from daily use?!

I wish our psychiatrists used lube when they ****** us.

Amtram
06-12-12, 09:07 PM
Well, see, that's another problem with these articles - they assume that people taking therapeutic doses of prescribed pharmaceuticals will suffer the same negative effects that come from long-term abuse of street drugs. Hey, methylphenidate, methamphetamine - same diff, right?

These medications have been around longer than I have, and I'm no spring chicken. There's been plenty of time to see the effect of long-term use in the general population, and so far it's almost as dangerous as Tylenol (the kind without cyanide, of course.)

Retromancer
06-12-12, 09:16 PM
The biggest issue I can see is that ingesting amphetamine in high school will become the norm. Kids today are under pressure to perform that we didn't have in our time. Ending up at Wal-Mart is a much larger step down than ending up on the production line. (Although the end was already in sight when I was in school ...) If there isn't sanctions against such use than it will become the defacto norm. Anyone who can do so, will do so.

K-Funk
06-13-12, 12:08 AM
The biggest issue I can see is that ingesting amphetamine in high school will become the norm. Kids today are under pressure to perform that we didn't have in our time. Ending up at Wal-Mart is a much larger step down than ending up on the production line. (Although the end was already in sight when I was in school ...) If there isn't sanctions against such use than it will become the defacto norm. Anyone who can do so, will do so.

When did you graduate HS?

Retromancer
06-13-12, 12:13 AM
I could tell you when I took my GED ... but I then would have to kill you.

When did you graduate HS?