View Full Version : Is it possible to measure how fast your body metabolizes things?

Theras
06-13-12, 01:52 AM
I'm not sure if my Topic was asking the right question, but if it was.. is it possible to have some sort of test (bloodwork every hour or something) to see how fast your body metabolizes things? Or would this vary depending on what it is you're taking and what not? Or is it not possible at all? I'm not even sure of metabolizes is even the right word..

I'm asking because I generally take higher doses of anything if I want to feel an effect, and I'm wondering if there is some sort of measurable data here I can get just for the sake of doing it? I tried google but I'm tired as heck and wasn't really sure what I should be looking for.

Or maybe a better way to word it.. is, is it possible to measure something..to see why it takes some people more of X to feel an effect than another person? And to get a result.. like "Oh, your xxx level is a 12.4! That explains it mr. bob!"

Thanks in advance.

Blueranne
06-13-12, 01:56 AM
Are you talking about a glucose test? or just regular blood sugar testing strips and meters?

Theras
06-13-12, 02:08 AM
I am 100% ignorant of the terminology involved which is why wording the question was difficult.

It takes me more (than the average person) of most chemicals I've had in my body in order to feel an effect. It takes a lot for me to feel the effects of alcohol. I always require extra shots of novocain, all of the ADD meds I've tried, I've gone over the doses that most other people take in order to make them feel right.. I've smoked weed a few times in my life but could not for the life of me get high, when everybody else was obviously experiencing some sort of effects from the marijuana (which is probably why I never became a pothead growing up)... stuff like that. Even stuff like caffeine, I can generally take a lot more than other people before it starts to make my body respond.

Granted, all of the comparisons I've done have been vs. friends, people I've talked to, and stuff I've read on the internet. No scientific studies with data or anything to back it up.. just observed. I was up to 40mg of ritalin IR per dose (which only lasted about an hour after it kicked in) before I asked to switch to something else. I'm having similar issues with my Dexedrine.

So.. I'm trying to see if there is a test that I can ask the doctor for so I can get some sort of definitive answer.. "Oh well we'll just test your liver for ????" or whatever. It's just odd that most of those things are (I believe) not really related at all, but it takes a lot for me to feel them in any way. Could there be something in my blood that makes it harder for my body to absorb or transmit chemicals (or whatever it is that it absorbs).. or something like that? I realize I sound like an idiot right now but whatever =)

Mainly I just want to be sure that I'm not crazy. I feel weird asking doctors for "higher than normal" doses of things, especially because I am not all that keen on taking medication to begin with. However, it is necessary... Again, I apologize for my ignorance of the terminology and wish I knew how to word this better.

Drewbacca
06-13-12, 05:00 AM
Do you want to know how fast your body metabolizes food in general, or are you just trying to determine how long it takes to metabolize medication?

If you want to know how long it takes to metabolize mediation, do a search for "drug metabolism." If you have a slow drug-metabolism then your body isn't efficient at breaking down certain medications because you lack certain enzymes that most people have in greater frequency. If this is what you have, it is genetic, so someone else in your family should have the same problem. The responsible genes are known and can you can be tested for such a deficiency. What's lame, is that they don't just test us all for this as children so we know what to expect from medication during our lifetimes. I don't know the specifics about being tested, but you should have enough info to search.

Theras
06-13-12, 05:13 AM
I was referring to medication, thank you.

I will check Google once I am a bit more awake.

Thanks again both of ya.