View Full Version : Sleeping Disorder, Any solutions?

chiank
06-19-12, 11:00 PM
Other than medics? I am taking Risperidone which is helping me in controlling my sleep problems and it actually solves my problem relating to sleep but i feel greatly dependent on it. I want the solution which doesn't involve medics.

Why i have sleeping problem i don't know. Some times i feel it is because of disturbance around me. My parents wake up very early and start their daily work. We have small house which creates disturbance. I think one of the problem for my sleep problem is that. But when i take risperidone i sleep like snorlax.

Well another problem with risperidone is that it gives me sleep of around 7-8 hrs which sound good but i can't afford to sleep more than 6 hours because of tough schedule and all. Actually, once my doc tried giving me different medicine for sleep but it didn't help at all and that one was horrible for me because of lack of proper sleep so i made doc give me risperidone again.

So i want to stop medics and find some solution which can give me sound sleep of around 6 hours

Conman
06-19-12, 11:16 PM
what specifically is your sleeping disorder

CheekyMonkey
06-19-12, 11:24 PM
Do you have a "bedtime routine?" Having a routine that you follow daily can help trigger your brain to start winding down.

Do you go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day? Doing this can also make it easier for your internal clock to adjust and help you fall asleep faster.

Sandy4957
06-20-12, 12:22 AM
If you need 7-8 hours, you need 7-8 hours.

This was a huge issue for me. What I did was take Ambien (at first). I started out with a regular dose, then took a larger extended dose. Eventually, I was sleeping 13 hours or so on the extended dose and I switched to the regular dose, then half the regular dose, then a fourth...

When I got to where I was sleeping 10 hours on a fourth of the regular dose, I switched to 10 mg. lorazepam. Then it was the same thing all over again... no sleep on that at first, then eventually 10 hours a night on that, then I switched to 5 mg. Then there were 10 hours on that and I switched to 2.5 mg. Now I sleep most nights about 7-8 hours on nothing.

That process took about 2.5 years for me.

So this is not a quick process. If you've been chronically sleep-deprived, it can take a while to "heal" your brain.

Interestingly, during this time I saw all sorts of cognitive functions come back "online," so that I at least knew that it was working...

sarahsweets
06-20-12, 04:22 AM
I have had chronic insomnia my whole life. I finally had a sleep study done and my doctor helped me develop a sleep schedule or good sleep hygiene that I am a total nazi about. I go to bed around the same time every night (11-12). I wake up at the same time everyday, no matter what time I have been to bed. So if I happen to stay up past 12, I still wake up at 5a or 6a because thats my wake up time during the week. It keeps my circadium rhythm on track. Not all people have to wake up early to do this, you could be used to going to sleep at 2am and waking up at 8am, if thats your schedule then just try to stick to it. I have a medication that I reserve for the really bad nights but I also take melatonin every night.

Fuzzy12
06-20-12, 07:15 AM
If it's too noisy could you use ear plugs? Or maybe play some music (or switch on a fan or something like that) to drown out other noise?

And I agree with Sandy, if you need 7-8 hours of sleep, it's important that you get them.

chiank
06-20-12, 01:23 PM
what specifically is your sleeping disorder
First of all .... i find difficulty in falling to sleep ...even some how i am able to sleep i remember next day waking up several times in the night...i don't feel fresh whole day ..i feel sleepy and tired ....

well after taking medicine my all problem are solved ...i feel fresh ..i sleep properly ......

chiank
06-20-12, 01:29 PM
Do you have a "bedtime routine?" Having a routine that you follow daily can help trigger your brain to start winding down.

Do you go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day? Doing this can also make it easier for your internal clock to adjust and help you fall asleep faster.
No i don't have routine ...i tried to have one but i was not able to adapt to it. For example Euro 2012 is going on matches are live at 00.30 my local time .. so i will only able to sleep after 2.30am and have to wake up as early as 8.30 .... when i take medicine then it ok i will be able to sleep well till 8.30 ...but without medic ..i start we wake up at early as 5am ... later i couldn't able to sleep even after lot of tries.

Making schedule is difficult but i am trying to make one ...

chiank
06-20-12, 01:33 PM
Well thats the point ..i don't need 7-8 hrs sleep ... i can sleep 6hrs and still feel fresh ...i just want those 6 hours of sleep perfect. ..now i am not getting that ..i wake up in between ..i struggle to sleep ...

chiank
06-20-12, 01:37 PM
If it's too noisy could you use ear plugs? Or maybe play some music (or switch on a fan or something like that) to drown out other noise?

And I agree with Sandy, if you need 7-8 hours of sleep, it's important that you get them.
I never tried ear plugs ...... i will give it a shot!!

chiank
06-20-12, 01:38 PM
I like the idea of sleeping 1am - 7am ..i will give it try

CheekyMonkey
06-21-12, 12:04 AM
No i don't have routine ...i tried to have one but i was not able to adapt to it. For example Euro 2012 is going on matches are live at 00.30 my local time .. so i will only able to sleep after 2.30am and have to wake up as early as 8.30 .... when i take medicine then it ok i will be able to sleep well till 8.30 ...but without medic ..i start we wake up at early as 5am ... later i couldn't able to sleep even after lot of tries.

Making schedule is difficult but i am trying to make one ...

Well, with a crazy schedule like that it is no wonder you aren't getting restful sleep!