View Full Version : Help! What are your ADHD book recommendations

alisno1fan
06-21-12, 04:32 AM
Hi I'm a 23 yo university student. I was diagnosed with combined ADHD when I was 9. I'm on Ritalin. I know a fair bit about ADHD. But I am really struggling as an adult with my ADHD. What books were really helpful for you?
Thank you

Drewbacca
06-22-12, 03:45 AM
The Now Habit
Learning Outside the Lines
Feeling Good, the new mood therapy.

alisno1fan
06-22-12, 10:52 AM
Thank you do much :)

ana futura
06-22-12, 11:40 AM
Succeeding with Adult ADHD

The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD

ginniebean
06-22-12, 12:09 PM
Russell Barkley "Taking Charge of ADHD" You can't beat this book for it's practicality. I like the way he outlines the problems and the solutions.

silivrentoliel
06-22-12, 01:57 PM
I don't remember the name off hand, but the author is Edward Hallowell MD- his two books are great.

Drewbacca
06-22-12, 06:47 PM
I don't remember the name off hand, but the author is Edward Hallowell MD- his two books are great.

Driven to Distraction.
Driven from Distraction.

Both good intro. material for the general reader.

silivrentoliel
06-22-12, 11:21 PM
Driven to Distraction.
Driven from Distraction.

Yeah... those books!

I liked the info in them beyond general reading- it was nice to hear it all written from the perspective of someone w/ ADHD.

ana futura
06-23-12, 12:24 AM
I'm really curious about More Attention, Less Deficit by Ari Tuckman. I've been listening to his free podcasts, lots of good stuff.

http://adultadhdbook.com/

Unmanagable
06-23-12, 01:02 AM
Sari Solden - "Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life"

Targaryen
06-23-12, 01:06 AM
I'm really curious about More Attention, Less Deficit by Ari Tuckman. I've been listening to his free podcasts, lots of good stuff.

http://adultadhdbook.com/

I'm downloading the podcast now :thankyou: I love podcast.

I recently ready the Dr. Amen book and thought it was good. A lot of stuff made sense to me esp head injuries and ADD.

gatorADDe
06-23-12, 01:56 AM

Driven to Distraction.
Driven from Distraction.

There's also a book called "Answers to Distraction" by Dr. Hallowell that addresses a lot of common questions about ADHD. I'm in the middle of reading it and it's very helpful so far.

Drewbacca
06-23-12, 02:32 AM
Yeah... those books!

I liked the info in them beyond general reading- it was nice to hear it all written from the perspective of someone w/ ADHD.

LOL I should have clarified. When I said "general" I meant, not college-student-how-to-study-type-of-adhd-book. General= something for everybody... everybody with ADHD, that is.

alisno1fan
06-23-12, 05:50 AM
Thank you all so much for your response. My brother got me this healing add book a few years back. Just tried to start reading. Key word tried. A lot of words. Heaps on information about. Not much helpful stuff for practice. But my older brother bought it for me do I'm TRYing to read it out of love. I remember reading a good book 'inspirational' called. Only a mother could love him. First book I ever read written from a person with ADHD's personal experience. Use to get upset because all the books I read were designed to help parents and teachers 'deal' with their child or students ADHD. An I always thought... What about us? Why hasn't anyone asked us how hard it is? How we feel about it?

RicardoBogie
09-09-13, 09:33 AM
Succeeding with Adult ADHD

The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD

Ditto for the The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD. Can't recommend it enough. It gives practical exercises and advice about how to strengthen the executive function.

sarahsweets
09-09-13, 05:05 PM
I'm partial to "1-fish,2-fish,red fish,blue fish" by Dr Seuss.

MarkuZ
01-25-14, 03:06 PM
Other than Taking Charge of Adult ADHD, I'd recommend Tuckman's More Attention, Less Deficit. Very good stuff.

There are two books that ain't about ADHD but I find important:

Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength, by Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney. Dr. Baumeister is a fantastic scholar, the most respected in his field and Tierney is a journalist who works for NYT, so the book is really based on hard science, but still 'easy' to read.

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business, by Charles Duhigg. Mr. Duhigg is a writer for NYT and really did his research, making the book heavily scientific.

pixie cut
10-25-15, 03:21 PM
Sari Solden, Journeys Through ADDulthood, 2002, recommended by Hallowell, Ratey, Amen, Kelly and Ramundo on back cover. Knew I had to read it if all those heavyweights say it's great.. Currently in really tough part for me. Reconsidering and allowing the pain of lost and forgotten dreams, to reconnect with what still matters to me on some level, an authentic self and possibilities for planning a satisfying future. Fears, self doubt, confusion. Might be an overwhelming first read, but glad I found it, hope I'm ready to do the hard work.