View Full Version : 'Painful' and euphoric sounds

Hellogirlbye
06-22-12, 06:50 AM
Hey there!

I am new...but am excited I found this resource.

Does anyone have issues with sounds? When I hear...or even think...about stryofoam or cardboard, it makes me crazy. I can feel it in my teeth, if that makes any sense. I feel debilitated by it. Same with other sounds -- but those are the top offenders.

On the flipside, the sounds of clicking calms me and almost puts me in a trance. The sounds of high heeled shoes clicking together or on a wood floor. The sounds of nails tapping (there's an amazing video of nails tapping a lightbulb on YouTube that I frequently watch) or of typing -- even the sound of the turn signal on some cars.

Am I the only one? I've never MET anyone that has this 'problem' -- only read about it.

Fortune
06-22-12, 07:03 AM
People can have a variety of problems with sounds. Two common ones are hyperacusis (difficulty with loud noise) and misophonia (some softer noises cause anger). There's also the more general "sensory processing disorder."

I have a lot of issues with sounds. I can't readily think of many that I specifically find soothing (the sound of rain falling outside), but I can think of many that cause various degrees of pain, discombobulation, and shutdowns.

Hellogirlbye
06-22-12, 07:42 AM
Oh, yeah. Loud noises really make it difficult for me to function. I feel almost paralyzed sometime by them...kid screaming, sirens, vacuums...Hmm.

stef
06-22-12, 08:22 AM
that's interesting -I hate anything metallic but styrofoam and cardboard don't bother me.
Clicking is very calming! anyone typing (I share an office); or someone texting or playing a game on their phone in the train is totally relaxing. I had NO idea that anyone else noticed this!

Fortune
06-22-12, 08:27 AM
Oh, yeah. Loud noises really make it difficult for me to function. I feel almost paralyzed sometime by them...kid screaming, sirens, vacuums...Hmm.

Sometimes it's like they shut off my brain entirely.

I once took a road trip with a friend who had a talking GPS. Every time it spoke I had to have her remind me what I was saying before it spoke because it would break up my thoughts and shut off my brain. I've had this happen in a supermarket under a loudspeaker. Once it was done, I had to look around for cues to remind me of what I was doing before it happened.

It's frustrating, and I need to remember to buy earplugs.

Hellogirlbye
06-22-12, 08:44 AM
that's interesting -I hate anything metallic but styrofoam and cardboard don't bother me.
Clicking is very calming! anyone typing (I share an office); or someone texting or playing a game on their phone in the train is totally relaxing. I had NO idea that anyone else noticed this!

Yep! I love the sound of others typing, and definitely texting. Especially on a blackberry since they have real buttons, haha. You aren't alone!!

Hellogirlbye
06-22-12, 08:46 AM
Sometimes it's like they shut off my brain entirely.

I once took a road trip with a friend who had a talking GPS. Every time it spoke I had to have her remind me what I was saying before it spoke because it would break up my thoughts and shut off my brain. I've had this happen in a supermarket under a loudspeaker. Once it was done, I had to look around for cues to remind me of what I was doing before it happened.

It's frustrating, and I need to remember to buy earplugs.

Crazy! I have a GPS and when I first got it, I couldn't figure out how to use it and I kept accidentally hitting the volume button -- her voice was like nails on a chalkboard. Left me very discombobulated -- and if I'm using a GPS, you know I was already confused!

FlusteredCognition
07-23-12, 03:57 PM
I can relate! I have brain blocking, meaning I can't think at all if I'm in a small room with a lot of people talking loudly. It literally freezes me.

I also can't stand the sound of styrofoam squeaking (like a cooler in the back of a car? EEK!) and I can't stand it when someone crinkles plastic... ahhhh. Drives me crazy!

As far as calming, being near water or listening to wave sounds are my favorites. Also, any loud bass type music in the car, such as dubstep is oddly calming to me. It wipes out all other stimulus (auditory) other than the song. Skrillex "First of Year" to me is a good example of my brain in general, when trying to explain to others that don't understand. =)

CheekyMonkey
07-24-12, 01:33 AM
I can relate! I have brain blocking, meaning I can't think at all if I'm in a small room with a lot of people talking loudly. It literally freezes me.

I also can't stand the sound of styrofoam squeaking (like a cooler in the back of a car? EEK!) and I can't stand it when someone crinkles plastic... ahhhh. Drives me crazy!

As far as calming, being near water or listening to wave sounds are my favorites. Also, any loud bass type music in the car, such as dubstep is oddly calming to me. It wipes out all other stimulus (auditory) other than the song. Skrillex "First of Year" to me is a good example of my brain in general, when trying to explain to others that don't understand. =)

Do you have any other sensory issues or auditory processing issues?

wildeflowerone
07-24-12, 02:54 AM
Then I might like to be a "raindrop".

BohoButterfly
07-24-12, 05:12 AM
I can't stand loud bangy noises, or loud machinery type noises, such as construction type stuff, lawnmowers, metal on metal- you get the idea. Voices and music, the tv, usually dont bother me too much.

I'm with you agoodman on the dubstep! Something about it just seems to be in sync with my brainwaves or something- ive talked about this with my bf who is also adhd and we cant quite put our finger on it... But its awesome. My bf actually has certain dubstep songs that he says sound like his mind, haha, and i do too!
Pendulum is a favourite(i know, i know, they are drum n bass, not dubstep, but similar- i dont know the names of the dubstep i like:(). Especially in the car or when im on a mission or determined to get something done:).
Deadmau5 is my chillax bass music, i love him:).
Oh, just thought of the name of a dubstep song i love- Animale! hope you know it- its awesomely awesome:).
Sounds that make me happy are... I like to hear a soft sound that might be people talking, kinda low enough i dont consciously notice it, lol, weird. Also rain. And im a fan of clicking to- it sounds satisfying to me, if that makes sense- but i cant stand it if the click is not clicked 'crisply' enough... Hope someone gets that! oh, and some locks on doors make a really satisfying noise, too- not the heavy ones, ones that kind of... i dunno how to describe, lol, im a weirdo. central locking on a car, also:).

xxBB

Jynical
08-11-12, 11:45 PM
So glad this thread is here.

There are some sounds that throw me right into a rage: flipflops, wet mouth noises, eating, utensils scraping plates, small joints popping (fingers and toes)...anyway... there's a list.

One sound that I love (and I'm listening to right now) is deep bass. I love dubstep too... the more drops, the better. And water - I was listening to rain and thunderstorm sounds earlier...

I have to put on my headset when we're eating dinner... I get really anxious and uncomfortable and angry... oh the anger. I realize it's completely my issue and that it's not fair to the rest of the family to make them walk on eggshells (so to speak)... so I cope the best I know how.

So glad I'm not alone.

Zevispaz
08-17-12, 11:29 PM
Mouse clicks are soothing to me. I click my mouth button hyper-erratically when I'm worried or bored. I ended up making my adhd test with the square come out all messed up because I started spacing and clicking the clicker erratically without realizing it. :D

Also, screaming babies, sirens, certain voice pitches irritate me. Oh yeah. Mouth breathing just sets my teeth on edge. I can't stand it. If you're exercising fine, but if you have a stuffy nose and need to breath out your mouth stay away from me. I'm also hypersensitive to smell, so I can smell exactly what's on their breath when they do. >_<;;