View Full Version : If you've used a coach-were you satisfied?

FramazeledKepi
11-24-04, 09:21 AM
I'm trying to decide about getting an ADD coach. I'm middle aged and could use some inspiration and some challenge. Just writing this fills me with shame. The idea of having to do this---when so many people just do it naturally. I'll get over the shame. I'm sure there are some excellent coaches out there who do great work at what I need. BUT, I probably wont use one without true grounding in ADD and it's challenges.
So, here are my questions:
1. Have you used a coach---did it help?
2. Did you use an ADD coach or just a general coach?
3. Did you do it in person or by phone?
4. Was it worth the $$$, and did the effects last?
In the past I've used an organizational coach for work matters--that was helpful. Now, I want to get some upgrade in bigger issues---such as inspiration to do a "bigger game" in my work and to tie this in with better "self care" practices.

Deeperblue
11-24-04, 09:50 AM
Framazeled----I can relate to the issues of shame and middle age. Kind of like: we should be grown up by now, so what happened? :confused: Ultimately, I feel, the consequences of ADD in Mid-life are far reaching, especially if the dx came later than sooner.

Anyway, I too have used a professional organizer...I found the service to be helpful to an extent, after all, what good is it if I can't keep up?

I am now currently considering using an ADD coach. I will be following this thread to see what others have to posted.

I am, in fact reading, ADD Friendly Ways to Organize you Life. The author talks about coaches but also recommends, in some cases, going for therapy, if the problems are deeper.

Ian
11-24-04, 11:52 AM
I use a coach on an ongoing basis. I would hate to have to try and find another one though. I had the luxury of finding a wonderful coach and she's invaluable. I would encourage you to meet with as many coaches you have time to meet with and find one that really clicks for you. It's the most important part of my continued search for coping with better strategies.

I'm in Canada so the money invested isn't a factor in my case, as it's part of my health care.

I do believe the effects are lasting if I'm willing and able to implement the changes.
Good luck with the search.
ian

cameron
11-24-04, 02:29 PM
itschaotic, your coach is part of your health care!? wow, I know I REALLY need to move to Canada now!! how is the job market in Canada? as bas as the US??

paulbf
11-24-04, 03:42 PM
I used an ADD coach for a month or so & it was helpful with a big deadline & a nasty backlog of unpaid bills & paperwork to prioritize & make task lists. Once I got over the deadline crisis, I didn't have the motivation to follow through with the nice orderly lists though. Probably I guess I need more therapy again for that or different meds or less meds or something. The deadline was a proposal for work which came out very nicely and would have easily paid for the coaching but I didn't get the job, basically too much competition & I wasn't really qualified. I will use a coach or simply hire an assistant if it can help with my business that would just be good economic sense. The coach I used tried to motivate me with back patting type talk but that doesn't really work for me, maybe it would work for you. It definitely helped with my indescisiveness and sorting out the mess of ideas I naturally accumulate and helping make descisions and set priorities. If I felt I could find the motivation to take action, I would pay again even for improving my personal habits and to help develop a better routine in life. Developing habits like that ought to be at least somewhat lasting I would imagine. I have such bad habits now. I met her in person for an initial interview and the coaching was done in 15 minute phone calls a few times per week in that crisis mode. Normally it's more like once a week.

waywardclam
11-24-04, 05:59 PM
I'm in Canada so the money invested isn't a factor in my case, as it's part of my health care.

How did you manage this??? I am very interested to know...

Garry
11-24-04, 06:15 PM
Yea actully, so am I

Tara
11-24-04, 06:29 PM
How did you manage this??? I am very interested to know...I would assume that the person has additonal qualifications than just being a life coach. As far as I know ADD Coaching from some body is only a life coach really isn't convered in Canada either. I have heard of the government paying for ADD Coaching for College students in Canada but other than that I don't think it's covered in Canada either.

exeter
11-25-04, 07:59 AM
I would assume that the person has additonal qualifications than just being a life coach. As far as I know ADD Coaching from some body is only a life coach really isn't convered in Canada either. I have heard of the government paying for ADD Coaching for College students in Canada but other than that I don't think it's covered in Canada either. This is really interesting. I wonder why they would pay for college students but not others?

What I do is basically use a few minutes of my biweekly therapy sessions to "check in/check up" on my progress on a couple of my important goals. I think this is a very good and legitimate way to use the time, because I find that my anxiety level is pretty directly tied to how much I've been able to accomplish. I'm even developing that mild obsessive/compulsive attitude toward my to-do list that "normal" people sometimes have. :D

I find that even though my therapist doesn't express judgements about my goals and such, just reporting to someone I see on a regular basis helps a lot. I would do this with my best friend, except that I see my therapist more regularly than I do her.

Ian
11-25-04, 01:56 PM
I'm basically doing what exeter is doing. Using a therapist that I've trained up as a coach and that's how I'm getting covered for this. Garry Lawton is gathering information about services. If anyone has Canadian experiences with coaching you might want to knock heads with him on this too.
Cheers! Ian.

Coral Rhedd
11-25-04, 04:09 PM
Has anyone here had their coaching paid for through a Social Security PASS plan?

Tara
11-25-04, 07:30 PM
This is really interesting. I wonder why they would pay for college students but not others?I know of an ADD coach in Canada who was paid by the government to coach college students. It may be through a specific type of grant but I'm not quite sure.

I bet if somebody really knew about grants in the US they could find or create some for ADD Coaching too.

Garry
11-25-04, 08:30 PM
I'm basically doing what exeter is doing. Using a therapist that I've trained up as a coach and that's how I'm getting covered for this. Garry Lawton is gathering information about services. If anyone has Canadian experiences with coaching you might want to knock heads with him on this too.
Cheers! Ian.
Thanks Ian

I never thought of posting it like that

Duhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!

Ian
11-26-04, 06:02 PM
No "duh" just a quck "bading!" ... didn't you hear it? ehheheh easy does it Garry.. and I'm not forgetting.. yet anyway!
ian

waywardclam
11-26-04, 06:43 PM
I wasn't aware therapists were covered up here...

Garry
11-26-04, 07:01 PM
Woooooo Hoooooo

My name has changed

Thank you Big

rubelet
01-06-09, 04:07 AM
I'm meeting with a potential coach tomorrow AM. I'm feeling a bit anxious about what to expect so I was checking out this thread. I will post back after a few sessions with an update.

As for the funding, in Canada there is a specific grant given to university and college students for private coaching. If one qualifies for government loans and has a disability, one qualifies for the disability grant. The grant covers a wide range of therapies and adaptive technologies for students with disabilities. That's how I'm getting the coaching payment covered.

*Rubelet

ginniebean
01-06-09, 04:57 AM
Nor was I. From my understanding, unless it's covered thru private insurance and that's usually very limited it's pay as you go. Something like eighty dollars an hour.

lostsoul
01-06-09, 12:40 PM
The bursary that allows you to get a coach/etc stuff is called BWSD. Something you have to get through your disability office.

They offer coach payments and can alot upto $2000 to use a psychatrist (sp) for treatment.

If you're in Ontario, take advantage of this. I declined the coach but I get tutoring covered.

Cash bursary they provide https://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/Plan_Grants_CAG_PD_12345.htm

BWSD
https://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/Plan_Grants_full_sepapp_BSWD_12345.htm
equipment, coaches, software etc...

Michiko74
01-19-09, 11:38 PM
1. Have you used a coach---did it help?
I did hire one, and no he didn't help.

2. Did you use an ADD coach or just a general coach?
He said he was an ADD coach.

3. Did you do it in person or by phone?
Phone

4. Was it worth the $$$, and did the effects last?
Overall, I don't think I got my money's worth. And no, the effects didn't last.

adventures
02-09-09, 01:38 PM
I've tried several different coaches that claimed to be experts on adult ADD. None seemed to be persistent enough (or maybe I was unwilling to change bad habits, though that was the purpose for hiring a coach); one even tried to hire me onto his "team" as a coach after our first coaching session (felt like I was talking to an Amway rep). I won't deny I have follow-through issues, but then again, I was hoping to find someone who could successfully work with me on that. I think the biggest problem was that all this coaching took place over the phone; nothing one-on-one. I really have issues with that. I believe the only successful coaching for me would be one-on-one and face-to-face. Haven't found that yet, though would certainly like to as I continue to struggle, though successfully, along as a hunter in this gatherer's world.