View Full Version : Best day planner/scheduling software/etc?

starrykitten
06-22-12, 06:38 PM
Different things seem to work for everybody, but if you use a planner (either paper or on your computer), what do you use and why do you like it? I can't figure out one that works well for me. Just keeping a Word doc with the info in it helps me, but it's not ideal.

I'm a journalist and have a lot of interviews I have to schedule, sometimes which means dealing with different time zones, and it's hard to remember all these little 15 or 20 minute obligations all the time.

Drewbacca
06-22-12, 06:55 PM
This thread will probably be moved. http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148

I prefer paper for short term items. Less distraction and something physical to keep with me.

I'm trying to get in the habit of having a long term calendar synched between my computer and phone. Writing out my schedule once a week forces me to prepare at least a little in advance. Plus, it makes it easier to toss last weeks task list once I'm done with it.

Remember the Milk seems to be popular, if you're on a PC.

keliza
06-22-12, 07:25 PM
I really like my Google calendar. It allows me to color-code different types of engagements (work, pleasure, meetings, doctor's appointments, church-related things, etc.) I can set events to repeat at certain intervals, and I can set them as "all day" reminders (such as payday or birthdays) or give them a definite time, and number of recurrences (one time, biweekly, monthly, etc.) I have the calendar synced to my iPhone (by setting up my Gmail account on my phone) so it pulls all of my calendar settings into my phone calendar. My phone also syncs my personal and Outlook work calendars, so both are reflected in one single calendar on my phone. Very handy!

I'm a very visual person, so having that kind of color-coded weekly calendar to look at is very helpful for me. I can see the big chunks of work, then the bright red doctor's appointments, etc. You can also make things overlap if that's how your schedule happens to be (for example, a dinner party starts at 7 PM but you're working until 8, they will overlap so you can see that reflected in your calendar). You can also set "tasks" in Gmail, it's like a checklist of tasks you can put in there and check off as you do them. I actually use Gmail for almost everything - my calendar, email, to-dos, documents, ebooks... I don't know what I'd do without it!

sbcy
06-22-12, 09:05 PM
I swear by Omnifocus until something close to it comes along for iOS or Android & Mac. Can't find anything that comes close for keeping track of LOTS of tasks.

BlueSmurf
06-23-12, 01:04 AM
I use Workflowy. It's a webapp that's basically an interactive list. Can't see how you can get much simpler than that.