View Full Version : What is vyvanse supposed to do?

Nico800
06-26-12, 07:07 AM
I have OCD, and it makes me worry too much. As a result, I get panicky. The worries go through my head at such a rapid rate(Which is think this rate is caused by ADHD) that I can't consciously articulate them and confront them, so I get overwhelmed and can't perform tasks.

I am on 100 mg of Luvox. Before I continue, I want to say that we had worked up to 75 mg of Luvox, but there was a switching of pill size, which due to my ADD, I wasn't paying attention to. So I ended up taking 75 mg for about 3 days, and then 100 mg. This was about 2 weeks ago. I told my doctor about this, and he said since it reduced my anxiety, it was ok.

Now, I feel very apathetic because of Luvox. My creativity has diminished, my attention span has diminished, my ability to think deeply has diminished, and my memory is not very good. I am not inspired by much. I feel like I have no drive to do anything, I feel like I can't think clearly or comprehend thoughts to actually realize them, and this makes me depressed. It makes me feel empty.
I have been experiencing depression, though not necessarily caused by the Luvox, the Luvox prevents me from evaluating the depression, or analyzing it and thinking deeply about it. So I just exist with depression, and have no idea what to do about it or whats provoking it. And when I do figure out what is provoking it, I think "So what, who cares". This "Who cares" attitude, I believe, is caused by the Luvox. I used to worry too much. Now, I worry about petty things, and I have little drive or conviction.
I am wondering though, what is vyvanse supposed to do? How is it supposed to make me feel?
Maybe when it starts working I won't have to be on such a high dose of Luvox, because I will better be able to manage my anxiety since I will have the ability to pay attention to it, which I lack right now since I have ADD.
Instead of lacking anxiety, I will have it and be able to use it while managing it. Anxiety is necessary for everyone because it gives us a spark to go do something. It's just when you have too much of it that it is bad.
I am very creative and art is my life. If I can't be creative then I will have no soul, and I will live a mediocre life of wishes and dreams unfulfilled. I really have to fix this problem, and I think treating ADD would help.
So please tell me what you now about vyvanse and what it does for you, or how it makes you experience life.
Thank you for reading this.

sarahsweets
06-26-12, 09:13 AM
Generally and this is not limited to vyanse, stimulants are supposed to help with focus,scattered brains etc for those with adhd. It can also calm you down. If you arent having success with vyvanse you could consider an alternative such as dexedrine.

BR549
06-26-12, 11:50 AM
I have OCD, and it makes me worry too much. As a result, I get panicky. The worries go through my head at such a rapid rate(Which is think this rate is caused by ADHD) that I can't consciously articulate them and confront them, so I get overwhelmed and can't perform tasks.

I am on 100 mg of Luvox. Before I continue, I want to say that we had worked up to 75 mg of Luvox, but there was a switching of pill size, which due to my ADD, I wasn't paying attention to. So I ended up taking 75 mg for about 3 days, and then 100 mg. This was about 2 weeks ago. I told my doctor about this, and he said since it reduced my anxiety, it was ok.

Now, I feel very apathetic because of Luvox. My creativity has diminished, my attention span has diminished, my ability to think deeply has diminished, and my memory is not very good. I am not inspired by much. I feel like I have no drive to do anything, I feel like I can't think clearly or comprehend thoughts to actually realize them, and this makes me depressed. It makes me feel empty.
I have been experiencing depression, though not necessarily caused by the Luvox, the Luvox prevents me from evaluating the depression, or analyzing it and thinking deeply about it. So I just exist with depression, and have no idea what to do about it or whats provoking it. And when I do figure out what is provoking it, I think "So what, who cares". This "Who cares" attitude, I believe, is caused by the Luvox. I used to worry too much. Now, I worry about petty things, and I have little drive or conviction.

If your anxiety is under control, but you are feeling apathetic, then you've traded one set of problems for another.

Have you considered trying a different anti-depressant? It could be that Luvox isn't doing all that is should for you. You've gone to a higher dose and now have become flat and are still depressed. That's a good indication that it's working.

I am wondering though, what is vyvanse supposed to do? How is it supposed to make me feel?

Are you currently taking anything to treat ADHD?

Maybe when it starts working I won't have to be on such a high dose of Luvox, because I will better be able to manage my anxiety since I will have the ability to pay attention to it, which I lack right now since I have ADD.

Vyvanse starts working immediately. It doesn't have to build up in your system like Strattera, Wellbutrin or an anti-depressant. While it can improve mood, there are better options to treat depression.

Instead of lacking anxiety, I will have it and be able to use it while managing it. Anxiety is necessary for everyone because it gives us a spark to go do something. It's just when you have too much of it that it is bad.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Anxiety isn't necessary for everyone. It can be debilitating for many people. Myself included. I get no spark or get up and go from my anxiety. Quite the opposite. I shut down completely. I know that anxiety affects everyone differently. If you get motivation from yours, I'm not sure why you want to manage it?

I am very creative and art is my life. If I can't be creative then I will have no soul, and I will live a mediocre life of wishes and dreams unfulfilled. I really have to fix this problem, and I think treating ADD would help.
So please tell me what you now about vyvanse and what it does for you, or how it makes you experience life.

Okay, you've answered my question about treating your ADHD. Since depression and ADHD have many common traits/symptoms, it's very possible that treating your ADHD in conduction with treating your depression will prove effective for you.

If you've never taken a stimulant before, be aware that there isn't a one-size-fits-all med. What works for others may not work for you. It's really trial and error when trying to find the right medication at the right dose. :) Vyvanse has worked great for many people. I hope that if you are prescribed Vyvanse, it works great for you.

artymom
06-28-12, 06:11 PM
I agree with BR549. Awesome responses.

beltoller
07-25-12, 01:13 AM

If your a mind to, let us know how the Vyvanse is doing, particularly how is it helping/aggravating/neutral with your OCD.