View Full Version : How to Split Adderall XR pills?

blueyemass1979
11-25-04, 12:42 PM
What is the best way for divying up the little balls in the capsule? Mirror and razor blade? :)

I'm on 20 mg but it's too much. Would like to make it 15 mg. Doctor says it's ok to do this, but never explained the mechanics of it to me.

charlie
11-25-04, 01:55 PM
I don't take ADD meds...yet but I would guess that a slow release type cap is not something you should be taking apart.

from Dr Amen's clinic:
Adderall XR
ADDERALL XR capsules may be taken whole, or the capsule may be opened and the entire contents sprinkled on applesauce. If the patient is using the sprinkle administration method, the sprinkled applesauce should be consumed immediately; it should not be stored. Patients should take the applesauce with sprinkled beads in its entirety without chewing. The dose of a single capsule should not be divided. The contents of the entire capsule should be taken, and patients should not take anything less than one capsule per day

++******
The ADDERALL XR? capsule uses a unique delivery system that is designed to work effectively and safely for 12 hours. This Microtrol? delivery system uses two types of beads containing the same amount of medication. One type of bead dissolves right after the patient takes the capsule and immediately releases medication. The other type of bead, which has an extra layer of coating, releases the medication beginning about 4 hours later.

I'd call doc or pharmacist and see if they have any suggestions for you
good luck

andocrates
11-25-04, 03:33 PM
Pour 75% of the contents into a 2 OZ glass of water and drink, (pour a little more water to get any left over adderall in the glass). Store the left over 25% in the gel-cap, when you have 3 left over gel-caps you have a 15MG dose. Does that make sense?

P.S. to Charlie: Adderall XR is loose medicine stored in a gel-cap so you can break it into portions.

blueyemass1979
11-25-04, 03:38 PM
Pour 75% of the contents into a 2 OZ glass of water and drink, (pour a little more water to get any left over adderall in the glass). Store the left over 25% in the gel-cap, when you have 3 left over gel-caps you have a 15MG dose. Does that make sense?
That's a good idea, but my problem is how best to divide the beads into portions. They're really, really, tiny, almost like sugar, and I don't have a good eye for measurement. Is there a good way to measure the stuff and divide it?

coolwoman
11-25-04, 05:40 PM
My dr. told me I could open capsule and pour some of beads into some yogurt. I've also read that you can use some applesauce. This may be more enjoyable than some water. Of course trying to get 75% of the beads won't be too precise.

Trooper Keith
11-25-04, 07:09 PM
Don't do that, the problem is you won't be able to tell which types of beads are which. There is a large chance for your taking a disproportionate amount of the fast release beads to the slow release, or vice versa. Furthermore, outside their gelcaps, the beads will start to deteriorate because of the air humidity, and the effect will be greatly lessened.

To take 15mg of XR formula, fill an Rx of 10mg and 5mg XR formulas, and take one of each.

Under NO circumstances should ANY XR, SR, or LA pill be broken or messed with...the delay effect that makes it long lasting will be almost certainly impaired, because the mechanism will be changed.

Tara
11-25-04, 07:43 PM
I have also heard from different medical professionals some of whom are experts that both Adderal XR and Ritalin LA are ok to sprinkle. I have not heard anything about doing that to divide the dosage though. The mechism of the of the medications are not really affected because the capsule is just a covering or container. But, I think it's assumed that when the capsules are opened that the medication will be taken right away. I do know for sure that Concerta can NEVER be broken up because the release mechinism will be destroyed. I'm not too familar with whether Ritalin SR comes in a capsule or table form.

I'm curious if the doctor actually prescribed you 20 mg capsules and then told you only take 15 mg. Or are you just trying to saving money and use the left over of your last prescription?

coolwoman
11-25-04, 09:31 PM
It's interesting that at least 2 physicians cited here told their patients that the dosage can be divided. I wonder where they got that information from? While my 15mg XR seems fine for me, I think I'll call my psychiatrist and ask her about this. Maybe she knows something that we don't know.

blueyemass1979
11-26-04, 12:09 AM
I'm curious if the doctor actually prescribed you 20 mg capsules and then told you only take 15 mg. Or are you just trying to saving money and use the left over of your last prescription?
The problem is that I won't be seeing the guy until January 5, and it's Thanksgiving today. I can call in to him next week for a new prescription and hopefully I can get him to do the 15 mg then if I actually get to talk to him and not just leave a message. Of course, if I can make the 20 mg stretch out longer and save a little, that would be nice, and also I don't expect him to write another prescription for me while this one is still unexpired, Schedule II and all. I had concerns this would be too much, b/c of my Ritalin problems, so I asked if I could split, he said OK...

....but why do i have to explain this stuff?

blueyemass1979
11-26-04, 12:14 AM
There is a large chance for your taking a disproportionate amount of the fast release beads to the slow release, or vice versa.
What are the odds of that? If I shake the capsule before dividing, what reason is there to believe they would not be evenly distributed?

I don't mean to be too skeptical, except that my own doctor said it was OK and I've certainly heard other people doing it. I know the Adderall XR labeling recommends against it, but of course they would be hypersensitive...and anyway, they have a vested financial interest in people not dividing doses.

Furthermore, outside their gelcaps, the beads will start to deteriorate because of the air humidity, and the effect will be greatly lessened.
But they wouldn't be outside their gelcaps. After I take out half and sprinkle it on some applesauce, the rest goes back in the gelcap for storage. Or at least that's the plan. Right now, it's been going in the sink.

meadd823
11-26-04, 12:20 AM
One tiny ball over here another tiny ball over there , one here, one there,.... Things that are not scored aren't DESIGNED by the med manfacture to be divided!! One tiny pill ball here, one there,........ mirror and razor blade...fun time explaining that one!!....Need a spoon???!!! One tiny ball of pill over here, another tiny ball over there....

If you can focus long enough to do it this way you don't need the d*mn thing.

Gregster
11-26-04, 01:45 AM
I don't know if you can tell the imeadiate release beads from the 4 hour release beads. If they are the same in appearance, then the odds of you separating a disproportunate number of either would be small. If I was going to try this, I'd use a small shallow plate and divide the total dose into 4's with a knife or spoon and take 3 1/4's to get 15mg. Sprinkle the dose on applesause or yogurt and eat it. The beads won't care - the gelcap dissolves very quickly in the gut so the effect will be the same.

andocrates
11-26-04, 01:49 AM
good grief, you guys worry to much. If the postor is already on 20MG and wants to reduce it what's the big deal if he/she gets 16MG instead of 15?

coolwoman
11-26-04, 09:18 AM
I suggest you call your dr. and get a prescription for 15mg. The only problem with amphetamines is, I believe, you have to pick up the prescription rather than have it called in to pharmacy. He/she should be available the day after Thanksgiving. Of course he may just reiterate that you can open capsule and take just part of dose.
A few years ago when I started on Prozac, I was having weird thinking so I called but missed the dr. at his office and the oncall dr. called in a prescription for a smaller dose.

paulbf
11-26-04, 12:35 PM
Yes a razor blade and glass or piece of plastic like a credit card works well. Push it into a symmetrical pile & divide by halves & shovel off the edge into small pieces of folded paper which can then be used to pour back into the capsules or into the back of your throat & washed down with water or folded up and stored. I've done this with effexor which has rather larger beads of varying sizes from what you describe. It's a bit tedious but reasonably accurate.

blueyemass1979
11-26-04, 12:59 PM
Isn't there like a tool for measuring out powders?

Oh god, I never thought this post would be so controversial.

Tara
11-26-04, 01:43 PM
The problem is that I won't be seeing the guy until January 5, and it's Thanksgiving today. I can call in to him next week for a new prescription and hopefully I can get him to do the 15 mg then if I actually get to talk to him and not just leave a message. Of course, if I can make the 20 mg stretch out longer and save a little, that would be nice, and also I don't expect him to write another prescription for me while this one is still unexpired, Schedule II and all. I had concerns this would be too much, b/c of my Ritalin problems, so I asked if I could split, he said OK...

....but why do i have to explain this stuff?
You don't have to explain anything. You made the choice to answer the question I asked.

I just find it odd than a doctor reccomends that people play around with the medication like that. I'm not saying it doesn't happen because I am sure that it does.