View Full Version : Picking a therapist

crystal8080
06-28-12, 11:42 PM
How am I supposed to pick one for me and my husband?

I wanted to take some advice and make sure the therapist specializes in, or at least is familiar with ADHD. I also wanted the therapist to specialize in chronic pain and illness, because my husband has Crohn's disease. And we are looking for marriage counselling so I also wanted the therapist to specialize in that too.

My husband wants a woman therapist. He is afraid if the therapist is a man and he says the wrong thing that he will hit him. He won't hit a woman. He's in this too so I have to respect that.

I found 4 therapists where I live who have all these specialties. 2 of them are women, 2 are men. I showed my husband pictures of them, and he said no to the first woman, and a definite no to the second. The men are older, and he gave maybes to them both (he won't hit an old person:scratch:) but preferred the second.

I know we should agree on the therapist. Its not going to work if either of us don't like him or her.

Is it better to find someone who is knowledgeable, and qualified to treat all our issues? Or is it more important to find someone we like?

Any advice would be appreciated.

QueensU_girl
06-29-12, 11:31 AM
Which city are you in? Your profile just says "Canada". It's a pretty huge place. (I am in Toronto.)

CheekyMonkey
06-29-12, 12:34 PM
I would always interview them over the phone before you choose them. People have different styles, techniques, and philosophies. Here's a pretty good list of questions to ask:

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/how-to-find-a-therapist/