View Full Version : Doctor took me off of Ritalin and I'm not doing well

NaterS
06-29-12, 09:28 PM
Anyone who truly has ADD or ADHD knows the amazing change that you go through when taking a perscribed stimulant such as Ritalin for the first time. Before I was put on meds by my pediatrics doctor, my life was falling apart and I thought I was going to amount to nothing and everything seemed incredibly hard to accomplish to the point of it not being worth it. Everything started turning around and I was making progress with my life in a positive way.

The most recent appointment I went to my doctor and he took me off of Ritalin. I'm not exactly sure why he took me off but he said stimulants should only be used until the person no longer needs them and then they usually stop because it corrects their behavior. It's been about 2 weeks since he took me off and now my symptoms are coming back like before and I'm getting depressed because my life is now a mess. The only reason I haven't asked to be put back on Ritalin is so I don't sound like I'm dependent on it. But anyone would miss something that helped them so much especially if it was suddenly taken from you.

Anybody got suggestions? I'm really struggling

NaterS
06-29-12, 10:51 PM
Just realized my post was in the wrong section

Seaweed603
11-09-12, 06:14 PM
Try it, when i went off conserta I thought the same, now I am glad to be rid of that ****.

Lunacie
11-09-12, 06:32 PM
Some people manage to learn good coping skills while taking stimulant meds,

and can eventually do well without the meds.

Others have more severe ADHD or have less support in their lives and need

to take the meds for the rest of their lives.

We are all different, but it sounds like your doctor thinks you should fit into

some pattern that simply doesn't fit you. :(

Seaweed603
11-09-12, 07:31 PM
try going without the meds for 2 mouths. you have a physiological dependence to them. see how you do without them. You are probably difrant now then what you where

joshsayshi
12-12-12, 12:02 PM
Two things - the first is to hold your head up - things may seem rough but should worst comes to worst you know what you need at the moment, don't despair!

The second is to not be afraid to ask for the pills...
If you tell the doctor how you feel, explain that its about turning your life around and that you feel like everything is slipping away, falling from your grasp, he's much more likely to help you than turn you away.