View Full Version : what can I do?

pjg1972
07-03-12, 08:19 AM
I am currently on ampheta s/combo and my psychologist said he didnt see any problem with me trying desoxyn.But,when I went to my doctor he said he didnt see a problem with me trying it either.Except he cant prescribe it cause he would get red flagged and would get in trouble.So is there any way around my situation.I have come along ways and would like to continue progressing?

sarahsweets
07-03-12, 08:33 AM
I'm not sure about the red flag part, can he clarify this for you? There are doctors who prescribe this especially if they support you in taking it.

pjg1972
07-03-12, 08:48 PM
I know that they arrested a couple of the doctors from the same office for giving to many presriptions of opiates,they also took away oxycottan.Alot of the pharmicies also have stated the cbi & fbi are giving them a hard time with the ampeta s/combo and other stimulates.I believe it is just this county.That is why I was wondering if there was another alternative cause they would help if there was,with what was needed.

spunkysmum
07-03-12, 08:51 PM
Wow. It sounds like there must be some kind of drug-seeking epidemic going on in your neck of the woods!

pjg1972
07-05-12, 07:10 PM
Yeah,There is something going on.That is why I was wondering if i can find a doctor somewhere that could help me.If I had letters from my doctors here.

befitnessnow
07-06-12, 02:39 AM
I know that they arrested a couple of the doctors from the same office for giving to many presriptions of opiates,they also took away oxycottan.Alot of the pharmicies also have stated the cbi & fbi are giving them a hard time with the ampeta s/combo and other stimulates.I believe it is just this county.That is why I was wondering if there was another alternative cause they would help if there was,with what was needed.

Doctors can get red flagged (and possibly arrested) for prescribing opiates to people for reasons other than what the DEA deems an acceptable condition to prescribe them, e.g., prescribing an opiate to somebody for a mental condition would be an easy red flag (even though, believe it or not, it is legal). Granted, that does happen once in a blue moon but if it's an experienced doctor it will only be the very, VERY last line of medication and they will have proof they tried everything else possible for the condition. Amphetamines are the same way, a doctor can get red flagged for prescribing amps to someone for Depression, etc, even though it is completely legal to do under the correct circumstances.

If your doctor is comfortable prescribing Desoxyn, which he clearly isn't or he would, than I have absolutely no idea why he would be worried about getting red flagged. You're (presumably) already being treated with Amphetamines for ADD/ADHD, correct? Desoxyn is an Amphetamine, Methampetamine to be exact, so their really should be no issue at all with him prescribing you Desoxyn if he says he does not see a problem with it.

I would ask him to be more clear with you about why he feels he will "get red flagged" by prescribing you a medication that is extremely similar in chemical structure to one he has already been prescribing you. Explain to him that is makes sense, even from the DEA's perspective, to try a different Amphetamine if the one you are currently taking is not working to a degree you feel necessary. I went from Adderall to Dexedrine to Desoxyn (although I'm not currently on it anymore) and that is a perfectly reasonable progression.

That was the best way I could think of to "answer" your question, I do hope you figure it out though and that your current doctor ends up allowing you to try Desoxyn. It really is a great medication for many people.

ToneTone
07-10-12, 12:00 AM
Is this a general practitioner/family doctor? Or a psychiatrist?

I might imagine that a family doctor would attract suspicion for prescribing desoxyn. For such a "controversial" drug, I think maybe psychiatrists are going to be the only people comfortable with prescribing it.

Tone

pjg1972
07-10-12, 07:59 AM
yes,He is a family doctor primary care partner and my other one is my psychologyst behavioral health and wellness.So if he he was to have permission from my psychologist would the suspicion be their.

tambourine-man
07-11-12, 01:36 PM
There is NO underground market for Desoxyn. No Addie loving frat boy has hurt of it. No shot out dope ***** has heard of it. Tell some tweaker you have meth and then hand him some Desoxyn. See what happens.

chris44
07-13-12, 03:39 AM
Meth addicts commonly inject 250mg of street meth (which is usually about 50% pure) multiple times a day. An ADHDers months supply of Desoxyn would last an addict 2 days at most.

A medicinal Desoxyn (dextromethamphetamine) prescription has fillers that make snorting, smoking, and injecting more difficult, dangerous, and less pleasurable, in addition to lacking the other psychoactive chemicals present in street meth as cutting agents (Selegiline, Caffeine, etc) and/or impurities (Levomethamphetamine, unmodified Pseudoeuphedrine, dimethylamphetamine, etc) that both potentiate and increase the health-hazards of street meth. Not to mention that street meth is NOT FDA regulated and is made through crude, dangerous methods that commonly leave toxins such as battery acid in street meth.

Medicinal Methamphetamine and Street Methamphetamine should be considered two different substances. Medicinal Methamphetamine is the safe, pure d-isomer, that is FDA regulated so it does not contain any toxins and is dispensed in miniscule, consistent measured doses under a doctor's supervision. It is difficult to take it any way other than orally. Street Methamphetamine is toxic junk made in a crude home-laboratory then cut with who-knows-what, usually contains other psychoactive chemicals, and is sold in high, though always unknown doses for the sole purpose of getting high. It is made to be smoked, rectally inserted, snorted, and/or injected. Street Methamphetamine shouldn't even be called Methamphetamine; it is better described as a Drug Cocktail USUALLY consisting of 40-50% Methamphetamine in addition to a random assortment of other psychoactive chemicals, cutting agents, and toxic byproducts of the crude production process.

Inform your doctor of all of the above.

chris44
07-13-12, 04:08 AM
Is this a general practitioner/family doctor? Or a psychiatrist?

I might imagine that a family doctor would attract suspicion for prescribing desoxyn. For such a "controversial" drug, I think maybe psychiatrists are going to be the only people comfortable with prescribing it.

Tone

I got mine from a Psychiatrist no problem. He never knew it existed, not having wrote or been asked to write a script in his entire 20ish year career as a psychiatrist, until I hesitently brought it up due to the shortage of Dextrostat/Dexedrine IR. However, I have had a horrible experience with Ritalin and Concerta that leaves trying other methylphenidates out of the question, a firm, tested, childhood diagnosis with a long family history, have tried Wellbutrin (which works for depression but not ADHD in my case) and Strattera, Vyvanse is too pricey, Adderall XR and Dexedrine Spansules kept me up all night, and Adderall IR can't be taken in the afternoons without problematic side effects. He did have to type for an unusually long amount of time on his keyboard to get the electronic script printed (it was not in his system), and he had no idea what advise me regarding it. He simply gave me 5mg (Generic) Desoxyn at noon and 5pm as opposed to 10mg (Generic) Dextrostat/Dexedrine IR at noon and 4pm.
Notably, he was in an unusually good mood the day he prescribed it; I guess it was due to my waiting in the waiting room way longer than I was supposed to due to his taking a long lunch break then having a long phone call with someone.

The scripts were dropped off at Walgreens, which had to order them. The scripts were dropped off on Saturday, but their supplier won't take orders over the weekend (at least in my area, and this applies to all pharmacies), so it was ordered Monday and came in Thursday. The cost was $36 for 60 Generic Methamphetamine 5mg Tabs manufactured by Mylan Pharmaceuticals with insurance covering $202. They look like altoids (the breath mint) and nobody gave me a hard time (or weird look) regarding picking up the prescription.

He is a pediatric psychiatrist. My State of residence is North Carolina, which is in the top 3 percentage of children having ADHD states. Months ago I brought it up with my pediatric doctor who, despite prescribing me both Adderall and Wellbutrin, was not willing to prescribe it (she had not heard of it either and the "no" came after her "researching" the medicine), though she didn't act like an alarm had been sounded, she still prescribed just the same amount of Adderall and Wellbutrin (I think she even increased the dose of Adderall that visit).

A psychiatrist is indeed your best option if you are looking for, with good solely-medical reasons after trying most/all other options, a Desoxyn prescription. Though I personally believe it should be second-line treatment for ADHD, I warn you not to seek it if you are new to receiving medications for ADHD. After undergoing treatment for some time and trying all of the amphetamine-based medications in addition to at least a few of the medications in the non-stimulant, methylpenidate, and 'other' (Wellbutrin, Intuniv, etc) categories, asside from those out of your price range, you can then persue a Desoxyn prescription unless you have an obviously liberal doctor that unreluctantly prescribes every other drug (as in, no reluctancy to prescribe Adderall or Dexedrine), suggests Desoxyn (or mentions it in a list of options), is known to commonly use it with other patients, etc. On a side note, I personally can't afford Vyvanse ($89 with insurance) and Intuniv (don't remember) but small amounts of generic Desoxyn are in my price range WITH decent insurance (it is a tiered plan, if you are wondering).

As for red flags pjg1972, could you tell me which state you reside in? If it is a midwestern/western state or one in the deep south stigma stemming from the local meth epidemic (in the midwest/west) or a common ultra-conservative pro-drug-war mindset ingrained in the local populace (in the case of the DEEP south), in combination with your not being in a city (which would be more liberal), could make an overbearing, anti-Desoxyn DEA that harasses doctors with threats of "red-flags" a reality, though I honestly doubt a single desoxyn prescription, that is, one under lets say 100mg or so a day (though doses exceeding 40mg should be extremely rare anyway), would actually result in any REAL action by the DEA (i.e. more than threats). I, personally, am guessing that your doctor is either ill-informed about these "red-flags", just sees it as being the same thing as the street drug (i.e. believing you'd look like someone from "faces of meth" after a few months of taking it), lacks knowledge/experience-prescribing the drug (feels uncomfortable), has had bad experiences prescribing it in the past (i.e. patients abused it), and/or just sees it as too abusable that prescribing it for you personally is not an option. Prescribing it to you personally (for your unique individual case) meaning; taking all your past experiences with different medications and ADHD history as well as any past drug-abuse or perceived (in his/her eyes) 'signs' of drug abuse or potential for drug abuse into account ('signs' being dressing poorly or poor hygeine in such a manner that seems 'trashy' in the eyes of your doctor, you constantly asking for dose increases, you mentioning hanging around with friends who do drugs, referring to medications by their 'street' name(s), existing alcoholism/drug-habits, etc).

ToneTone
07-13-12, 09:15 PM
I would go to a psychiatrist. Frankly, I don't think family doctors have a clue about adhd or adhd medications/side effects, interactions with other drugs, effects of coexisting mood disorders.

ADHD is hard enough to treat and work with, even assuming the best psychiatric training.

If I were a family doctor, there is NO WAY I would feel confident prescribing desoxyn. You would probably be his first case ever ... and he's probably not even talked to other docs who've prescribed it.

Your best bet is a psychiatrist.

Tone

pjg1972
07-16-12, 08:49 AM
I got mine from a Psychiatrist no problem. He never knew it existed, not having wrote or been asked to write a script in his entire 20ish year career as a psychiatrist, until I hesitently brought it up due to the shortage of Dextrostat/Dexedrine IR. However, I have had a horrible experience with Ritalin and Concerta that leaves trying other methylphenidates out of the question, a firm, tested, childhood diagnosis with a long family history, have tried Wellbutrin (which works for depression but not ADHD in my case) and Strattera, Vyvanse is too pricey, Adderall XR and Dexedrine Spansules kept me up all night, and Adderall IR can't be taken in the afternoons without problematic side effects. He did have to type for an unusually long amount of time on his keyboard to get the electronic script printed (it was not in his system), and he had no idea what advise me regarding it. He simply gave me 5mg (Generic) Desoxyn at noon and 5pm as opposed to 10mg (Generic) Dextrostat/Dexedrine IR at noon and 4pm.
Notably, he was in an unusually good mood the day he prescribed it; I guess it was due to my waiting in the waiting room way longer than I was supposed to due to his taking a long lunch break then having a long phone call with someone.

The scripts were dropped off at Walgreens, which had to order them. The scripts were dropped off on Saturday, but their supplier won't take orders over the weekend (at least in my area, and this applies to all pharmacies), so it was ordered Monday and came in Thursday. The cost was $36 for 60 Generic Methamphetamine 5mg Tabs manufactured by Mylan Pharmaceuticals with insurance covering $202. They look like altoids (the breath mint) and nobody gave me a hard time (or weird look) regarding picking up the prescription.

He is a pediatric psychiatrist. My State of residence is North Carolina, which is in the top 3 percentage of children having ADHD states. Months ago I brought it up with my pediatric doctor who, despite prescribing me both Adderall and Wellbutrin, was not willing to prescribe it (she had not heard of it either and the "no" came after her "researching" the medicine), though she didn't act like an alarm had been sounded, she still prescribed just the same amount of Adderall and Wellbutrin (I think she even increased the dose of Adderall that visit).

A psychiatrist is indeed your best option if you are looking for, with good solely-medical reasons after trying most/all other options, a Desoxyn prescription. Though I personally believe it should be second-line treatment for ADHD, I warn you not to seek it if you are new to receiving medications for ADHD. After undergoing treatment for some time and trying all of the amphetamine-based medications in addition to at least a few of the medications in the non-stimulant, methylpenidate, and 'other' (Wellbutrin, Intuniv, etc) categories, asside from those out of your price range, you can then persue a Desoxyn prescription unless you have an obviously liberal doctor that unreluctantly prescribes every other drug (as in, no reluctancy to prescribe Adderall or Dexedrine), suggests Desoxyn (or mentions it in a list of options), is known to commonly use it with other patients, etc. On a side note, I personally can't afford Vyvanse ($89 with insurance) and Intuniv (don't remember) but small amounts of generic Desoxyn are in my price range WITH decent insurance (it is a tiered plan, if you are wondering).

As for red flags pjg1972, could you tell me which state you reside in? If it is a midwestern/western state or one in the deep south stigma stemming from the local meth epidemic (in the midwest/west) or a common ultra-conservative pro-drug-war mindset ingrained in the local populace (in the case of the DEEP south), in combination with your not being in a city (which would be more liberal), could make an overbearing, anti-Desoxyn DEA that harasses doctors with threats of "red-flags" a reality, though I honestly doubt a single desoxyn prescription, that is, one under lets say 100mg or so a day (though doses exceeding 40mg should be extremely rare anyway), would actually result in any REAL action by the DEA (i.e. more than threats). I, personally, am guessing that your doctor is either ill-informed about these "red-flags", just sees it as being the same thing as the street drug (i.e. believing you'd look like someone from "faces of meth" after a few months of taking it), lacks knowledge/experience-prescribing the drug (feels uncomfortable), has had bad experiences prescribing it in the past (i.e. patients abused it), and/or just sees it as too abusable that prescribing it for you personally is not an option. Prescribing it to you personally (for your unique individual case) meaning; taking all your past experiences with different medications and ADHD history as well as any past drug-abuse or perceived (in his/her eyes) 'signs' of drug abuse or potential for drug abuse into account ('signs' being dressing poorly or poor hygeine in such a manner that seems 'trashy' in the eyes of your doctor, you constantly asking for dose increases, you mentioning hanging around with friends who do drugs, referring to medications by their 'street' name(s), existing alcoholism/drug-habits, etc).
Hi,I reside in colorado and yes i have tried different meds.They started me wellbutrin then another one I cant remmember the name then straterra.those ones made me just want to curl up in a ball and sleep.Then i tried ritalin it made me feel real sketchy.So i am currently on 60mg in morning and 15mg in afternoon of ampheta s/ combo barr for 2 years now.It really has worked great I have been at the same job now going on 3 years.I am actually the supervisor/dispatcher of my department.When the ampheta first started working it was a little different when you can surprise yourself by completeing something and it actually works is done right and didnt take a week to complete it.So it has done really good for me for my work and home projects.I dont know how to explain this part.I guess ill say it this way as far as being socially active and my people skills suck.I have tried valium,xzanax to relax me to have that patients to stay and talk to people and all that did was put me to sleep.I am also just to out spoken.Well i will have to finish up here or I am gonna be late for work.Thanks to all the replies from everyone it sure is nice to have a place where somebody understands.Gotta go