View Full Version : Medications for Insomnia? What do you take?

Twiggy
07-10-12, 01:30 PM
I've never been on any prescribed medications for Insomnia, but I need something from my doctor to go to sleep at a reasonable time.
Melatonin didn't work.

I'm curious what sleep meds everyone on here takes and what side effects they experienced.

gatorADDe
07-10-12, 04:48 PM
Ambien. No side effects other than feeling drugged and hallucinating a bit before I'd fall asleep. That goes away after awhile though but ambien has begun to lose it's effectiveness since I started it about 7 months ago.

Twiggy
07-11-12, 09:08 AM
Is there anyone else that would like to share?

silivrentoliel
07-11-12, 11:33 AM
I take Vistaril. It kinda worked in the beginning, but now that I've paired it w/ my Zoloft in the evenings, it works really well. I wake up so much less! It's nice :)

Abi
07-11-12, 11:41 AM
Nitrazepam.

Most common trade name Mogadon.

Only thing that works. No side effects.

Have tried at least 7 other sedatives/hypnotics at high doses [Ambien, Zopiclone, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, Valium, Bromazepam] with no success.

anonymouslyadd
07-11-12, 12:03 PM
Is there anyone else that would like to share?
I take the manufacturer's brand for, I think, Benadryl. It's been helping me the past few days.

Twiggy
07-11-12, 01:15 PM
My doctor scripted me Trazodone. I hope it works tonight without any major side effects. I noticed that my doctor is very anti- Ambien/traditional sleep meds or Benzos.

sarahsweets
07-11-12, 02:36 PM
No offense but I feel that trazadone sucks...my son took it and was a zombie. My "break glass in an emergency" go to is sonata. Its short acting can be taken in the middle of the night and has not given me daytime drowsiness. I avoid it though usually relying on regular meds and melatonin cause I'm cool like that. ;)

starrykitten
07-11-12, 02:44 PM
I take Seroquel. It's the only thing that works for me. I take 50 mg and sleep through the night, usually, with just some drymouth on waking. Seroquel can have serious side effects and is a big weight-gainer, though, so I can see people being wary for those reason. But I'm taking the gamble and sacrificing vanity so I can sleep.

BluegrassBound
07-11-12, 03:00 PM
My doctor scripted me Trazodone. I hope it works tonight without any major side effects. I noticed that my doctor is very anti- Ambien/traditional sleep meds or Benzos.

Good luck with the trazodone. It used to knock me out, but the dose I had to take was pretty high. I would end up groggy and in a major haze in the morning.Whats the term Sarahsweets used??"Zombie" Thats pretty close to the way I was. I just couldn't get the right dose and balance the sleep and morning clarity. Not to mention the dreams.

I've never taken Ambien or any of the other Nonbenzo hypnotics. They scare the hell out of me. I know two people who got a DUI for Ambien driving. Niether had alcohol or any other illegal drugs in their systems. Niether did they have any prescribed narcotic or sedatives except the Ambien.

Both of them got out of bed and went out driving. Both got into accidents. Both were in complete black outs and had zero memory. I know nonbenzo hypnotics work great for alot of people but they just scare me.

For balance of sleep vs morning brain funk. I like regular Benzo's. However I almost never take them. I've had previous substance abuse issues and don't want to fall back into very old habits.

I try and stick with Melatonin and excercise.

known_guy
07-17-12, 10:56 PM
I tried Trazodone for some time. It did help me sleep, but there was just something indescribable about it that I just didn't like. Despite the weight gain, I preferred Remeron over it. Hmm. I am pro Vistaril/Atarax for insomnia, if one is looking for something that isn't a benzodiazepine. Ambien made me do funny things late at night... As mentioned previously, Seroquel is another viable option. Or something really out there - Tramadol?

Altair
11-26-12, 01:14 AM
Sometimes i take Ambien, Sometimes Lunesta, maybe take a break and Klonopin, and some friday nights couple shots of good ol whiskey.

scrambled86
11-26-12, 01:25 AM
I"m on mirtazapine - which is supposed to help you sleep as well as being an anti-depressant.

But it's 6:30am and I haven't been to sleep yet..and I have to go to work in a few hours :rolleyes:

known_guy
11-26-12, 09:20 PM
I"m on mirtazapine - which is supposed to help you sleep as well as being an anti-depressant.

But it's 6:30am and I haven't been to sleep yet..and I have to go to work in a few hours :rolleyes:

My goodness! I am surprised Remeron didn't knock you out, assuming that was your first time trying it. (That tends to let up, lessen, after a while.) What dose are you taking? I hear once you reach the 30mg or 45mg range, the insomnia aid diminishes somewhat compared to lower doses. Something related to Histamine-related effects of Remeron that are dose-dependent.

Abi
11-26-12, 09:24 PM
NB No Tramadol with antidepressants like Zoloft. Serotonin syndrome risk.

scrambled86
11-28-12, 05:37 PM
My goodness! I am surprised Remeron didn't knock you out, assuming that was your first time trying it. (That tends to let up, lessen, after a while.) What dose are you taking? I hear once you reach the 30mg or 45mg range, the insomnia aid diminishes somewhat compared to lower doses. Something related to Histamine-related effects of Remeron that are dose-dependent.

Nah I've been on it for a few months now and am on 30mg. It knocked me out for the first few days when taking 15mg and then a bit when I was upped to 30mg...but now nothing.

Beekeeper
11-29-12, 10:11 AM
I got a 'script for Tamazepam a few weeks ago and while it works great I'm a fuzzy human the next day.

My problem is getting to sleep (always had that, even before taking ADHD meds) and staying asleep. Since being on meds, I don't sleep as long (which I'm pretty okay with, I tend to wake up an hour earlier than I would before), but the waking up in the middle of the night all the time drives me crazy.

LunaTehNox
11-29-12, 10:41 AM
When I started Adderall aroung age 6 or 7, I could not sleep. So my doctor prescribed Clonodine as a sleep aid, and I used that until I switched to a medecine that didn't keep me awake at night.

known_guy
12-05-12, 11:05 PM
Nah I've been on it for a few months now and am on 30mg. It knocked me out for the first few days when taking 15mg and then a bit when I was upped to 30mg...but now nothing.

I can see that happening. After I was on 30mg of Remeron for some time, I dropped the dose down to 15mg and found that to work, actually. A second drop to 7.5mg was still helpful (better than doing without, definitely).

Mountainman1126
01-11-13, 10:09 AM
I take Vistaril. It kinda worked in the beginning, but now that I've paired it w/ my Zoloft in the evenings, it works really well. I wake up so much less! It's nice :)

I have been prescribed visteril and , while it is an effective medication for sleep, be aware that it does have dopamine antagonizing properties. Thus it is working against your stimulants. Its like a weak antipsychotic. Better than taking something habbit forming like a benzodiazapine though. When i take the visteril, i feel really sedated and sluggish the next morning though. This is at 25mg and i know other people take up to 100 but then again, everyone reacts differently but i figured id let you know about the antispychotic properties because alot of people dont know this.

delaware13
03-13-13, 10:12 PM
Trazodone 100mg pills. Just got put on them 2 weeks ago, and was advised to either take half of the pill(scored in halves) or the whole pill depending on how awake I feel around my time of sleep. Well typically by midnight I'm not feeling my meds anymore so I just take 50mg and I fall asleep within 20 mins.

Side Effects for me:
Not wanting to get out of bed at a reasonable hour
Slight "hungover" feeling when I took 100mg my first night
I feel like it also was still in my system(3 hr half life) when I dosed my ADD med at 7am so it kind of took away from my initial kick of my meds.
Tolerance builds quickly, i imagine by next week I'll need 100mg to recieve same effect

Pros: It's prescribed mainly for depression/anxiety but off-label use for sleep aid and it has helped with my depression and also it is very cheap to get filled with most insurances. My 30 day script is $3.25

known_guy
03-14-13, 08:42 PM
Don't think I mentioned this - oh, this thread is a little dated! That's cool, nothing wrong with that. :) I am now taking Vistaril, which I am happy about because I don't want any benzodiazepines at this point. I'm just having trouble figuring out the right dose.

dogluver358
03-16-13, 01:26 PM
Temazepam. But I've been on it so long and at such a high dose (can't go up anymore) it's starting to loose its effectiveness, but I think it does help a little. I'm prescribed an AAP for bipolar disorder that helps me sleep too.

known_guy
03-16-13, 03:51 PM
I appreciate the mention about the minor antipsychotic-like properties of Vistaril. I guess I figured since I take it at night and take my stimulants during the day, rather, more akin to hoped there'd be some net balancing out by taking them within the same 24 hours. :D

Lunacie
03-16-13, 04:19 PM
Trazodone 100mg pills. Just got put on them 2 weeks ago, and was advised to either take half of the pill(scored in halves) or the whole pill depending on how awake I feel around my time of sleep. Well typically by midnight I'm not feeling my meds anymore so I just take 50mg and I fall asleep within 20 mins.

Side Effects for me:
Not wanting to get out of bed at a reasonable hour
Slight "hungover" feeling when I took 100mg my first night
I feel like it also was still in my system(3 hr half life) when I dosed my ADD med at 7am so it kind of took away from my initial kick of my meds.
Tolerance builds quickly, i imagine by next week I'll need 100mg to recieve same effect

Pros: It's prescribed mainly for depression/anxiety but off-label use for sleep aid and it has helped with my depression and also it is very cheap to get filled with most insurances. My 30 day script is $3.25

The doc wrote me a script for 150 mg Trazadone, also to be halved. I cut
them into quarters, each piece being around 35-40 mg. With that dose I
haven't felt any hangover the next morning. And I took them for several
months without building any tolerance.

Now I am taking them "as needed." I'd like to be able to cut them into
25mg pieces.

Twackycats
03-17-13, 05:00 AM
After reading most of the other posts here I'm slightly reluctant to reply, oh well I'll just wing it!
I take 300mg of seroquel nightly. It's the only thing that's done squat for me. It gives me the mental quiet time I need to catch some z's.
Now and then absolute silence is too loud and I end up being stuck awake all night regardless of drowsiness.

Lunacie
03-17-13, 08:37 AM
After reading most of the other posts here I'm slightly reluctant to reply, oh well I'll just wing it!
I take 300mg of seroquel nightly. It's the only thing that's done squat for me. It gives me the mental quiet time I need to catch some z's.
Now and then absolute silence is too loud and I end up being stuck awake all night regardless of drowsiness.

When there is silence, I can hear the ringing in my ears too clearly.

I sleep with an electric fan running. It blocks and distracts my mind from
outside noises somewhat (dogs barking, sirens wailing, car stereos
thumping) - and it gives my ears something to hear when all is silent.

Shabazz
03-21-13, 12:29 PM

No need to be reluctant ... this med gets a bad rap IMHO. Is sleep the only reason you take it?

I'm taking seroquel 100mg. It's good stuff. Shuts my mind and thoughts down, which would otherwise keep racing & keep me awake. I have no negative side effects whatsoever ... except for sedation for about 1hr in the morning. It helps lots with anxiety and mood too.

delaware13
04-05-13, 08:21 PM
The doc wrote me a script for 150 mg Trazadone, also to be halved. I cut
them into quarters, each piece being around 35-40 mg. With that dose I
haven't felt any hangover the next morning. And I took them for several
months without building any tolerance.

Now I am taking them "as needed." I'd like to be able to cut them into
25mg pieces.

Lunacie, I did find lower doses more therapeutic which is kind of counter-intuitive which is why I thought my tolerance was building. I gave up on the Trazodone for the time being and have switched to Remerol for a trial month. So far they both seem to keep me in bed longer than I want but the Remerol isn't as bad. Its a little too early for me to tell which I like better, and I know neither will be perfect, I just am not particularly fond of this "tinkering" stage of "try this, now try that"

Twiggy
04-05-13, 09:23 PM
One can/bottle of Beer.
This is only when I can't get to sleep at all.

I used to be on Trazodone, but it made my body feel numb/paralyzed/heavy after 20 minutes of me taking it. Other times my heart started to race like crazy while being in a numb/paralyzed/heavy body. It was very uncomfortable.
The dreams were very weird, but that was the only thing that I liked about Trazodone.

Lunacie
04-06-13, 10:36 AM
You all are making me very glad I decided to see if I could sleep without
the Trazadone. It wasn't causing all those side effects for me, but I know
that things can change.

Parterxred
05-12-13, 02:09 AM
I have been taking Temazepam for a week. I sleep through the night and I wake up feeling refreshed. More notable, I am able to sleep with the light off. Right now, Temazepam is the best sleep aid I have ever experienced. However, the information I have found on this medication is highly conflicting.

Jenn1202
06-13-14, 02:53 AM
I usually take Melatonin 3mg and sometimes Benadryl 12mg (half a 25 mg pill). Benadryl 25 mg knocks me out for 12 hours, so I usually can't take a full pill. I've never actually been prescribed anything for sleep.