View Full Version : Can't think, can't focus, can't get motivated.

justtim
07-11-12, 11:42 AM
Hey everyone,

Newbie here, found this site via Google.

About 5 years ago I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD and was prescribed Adderall. I took it for about 6 months then quit. The reason being is I started taking it as a suggestion from my therapist during marriage counseling and when my wife and I finally split I tossed it saying I didn't need that crap. Well, a few years later and I really think it helped me.

However, I have a different PCP doctor, therapist and psychiatrist and due to my weight my psychiatrist will not prescribe me any stimulants. I am taking Wellbutrin and Prozac and they've helped a lot with my mood, however my focus and motivation are still damn near non-existent. It's really getting to be a problem as it effects me at work tremendously.

My therapist has suggested strategies to get help - setting timers and working in small chunks with a "reward" as I complete them, making lists (which I already do) and making sure to follow a schedule. It's not helped much. When I try to think it feels like a radio station as your driving out of it's coverage area and another station is bleeding over, I can hear there are different songs playing but can't make out either one enough to do anything with it. However it sometimes feels like I've got half a dozen stations playing at the same time.

I just saw ADD-i mentioned on the forum, I had never heard of that before today, that sounds like me... I think.

Can anyone recommend any methods, tips, tricks, natural remedies that might help me with this? It's really frustrating. After a few tough years I feel like I'm getting my life back on track but I just can't seem to beat this one piece, unfortunately this one piece effects everything else I try to do. Any help is appreciated.

Tim

markadd
07-11-12, 12:11 PM
Any chance you could gain some weight so you can go back on stimulants, maybe try some weight gainer or protein shakes?

justtim
07-11-12, 12:13 PM
Any chance you could gain some weight so you can go back on stimulants, maybe try some weight gainer or protein shakes?

It's actually the other way around for me, I'm overweight and he's concerned about my blood pressure. However I've been working on my overall fitness and have lost 50 lbs so far.

New-Man09
07-11-12, 01:25 PM
I just started taking Vyvanse for my ADD. It has already done wonders for me, and really helps me to focus, and along with being able to focus comes confidence. And when you have to the confidence to focus on something, then motivation just follows suite. Confidence and motivation go hand in hand. Vyvanse has less of the side affects that Adderall has, and it is a much smoother treatment option. Something for you to keep in mind! And I agree with markadd, weight gainers and protein shakes are definetley a great option!

justtim
07-11-12, 09:06 PM
I just started taking Vyvanse for my ADD. It has already done wonders for me, and really helps me to focus, and along with being able to focus comes confidence. And when you have to the confidence to focus on something, then motivation just follows suite. Confidence and motivation go hand in hand. Vyvanse has less of the side affects that Adderall has, and it is a much smoother treatment option. Something for you to keep in mind! And I agree with markadd, weight gainers and protein shakes are definetley a great option!

Thanks for the reply. Gaining weight isn't an issue for me, I'm actually really good at that. :D My doc is concerned about a stimulant because I'm overweight.

Looking at Vyvanse it seems to still be an amphetamine class drug, so that would rule it out for me as well.

very_confused09
07-12-12, 12:25 AM
I was reading a book recently (I think Ratey's) that said 30-40 min exersize daily is as good as 1 ritalin + 1 prozac.

justtim
07-12-12, 08:08 AM
I was reading a book recently (I think Ratey's) that said 30-40 min exersize daily is as good as 1 ritalin + 1 prozac.

At the beginning of this year I started getting pretty serious about my health. I work out on average of 30 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week. Usually more, especially on weekends. I've lost 50 lbs so far. I can say that my overall mood and energy is much, much better. Unfortunately I've seen very little improvement in motivation and concentration, especially at work.

justtim
07-17-12, 04:45 PM
I'm new here. Love is what everyone needs.I'm a divorced male.can't think.or even get up in morning. I took aderalls then stooped. I can't get my weight down. No self asteam. What do you think I should do. I'm a mess

Hey there, I just saw this comment. I was in the same position as you. Divorced, overweight, no motivation... I spent the better part of 5 years like that and then I went for help. I started seeing a therapist and started some meds, it helped me tremendously. I'm no expert by any means but I would suggest you go talk to someone soon. Good luck.

faller
07-31-12, 11:37 AM
There are a number of supplements that MIGHT help with focus. These include DMAE, choline or Alcar, tyrosine and others. Check with your MD to make sure you don't have any interactions with your meds. There are other things as well but these seem help me at least a little.

justtim
07-31-12, 11:41 AM
There are a number of supplements that MIGHT help with focus. These include DMAE, choline or Alcar, tyrosine and others. Check with your MD to make sure you don't have any interactions with your meds. There are other things as well but these seem help me at least a little.

Thanks for the info. My doc changed my meds up a bit and I'm seeing some positive results.

He took me off Prozac and added Strattera in addition to Wellbutrin. I'm ramping up to 80 MG on the Straterra, started my 3rd week today with a 60MG dose. Although I'm tired today and not in the zone too much I've really been back on my A-game the last week or so. Hopefully that will continue.

sarahsweets
07-31-12, 12:21 PM
If the stimulanys worked in the past then you need a new doctor,

CheekyMonkey
08-01-12, 12:57 AM
Sounds like exercise will help you two-fold. It might help to increase your concentration and help you to lose weight. :)

justtim
08-01-12, 08:51 AM
Sounds like exercise will help you two-fold. It might help to increase your concentration and help you to lose weight. :)

That's what I'm hoping.

I posted on 7/11 that I was down 50 lbs, as of last Friday I'm down 60 so I'm still making good progress. I do feel a bit better, more focused and more energy, hopefully as I exercise more and lose more it will continue to improve.

CheekyMonkey
08-01-12, 10:41 AM
That's what I'm hoping.

I posted on 7/11 that I was down 50 lbs, as of last Friday I'm down 60 so I'm still making good progress. I do feel a bit better, more focused and more energy, hopefully as I exercise more and lose more it will continue to improve.

That's a crazy amount of weight loss! Nice work!

justtim
08-01-12, 11:20 AM
That's a crazy amount of weight loss! Nice work!

Thanks! I'm really put a lot into getting my life in order. Had a rough few years and time to take control again!

housemansson
08-14-12, 09:47 AM
Hi Justtim,

I have the exact same symptoms as you described. I have tried sleep deprivation (which works but it's tiring), and now I found myself trying the binaural beats to take me to the 20hz beta range and it worked like a charm! My mind kind of "popped" after a few minutes and since then I have been focused (before lunch which is extremely rare for me). Usually I can spend a whole day trying to get to the right level of focus, hating myself as I fight the constant barrage of thoughts, only to reach focus way too late (after working hours) or not at all. In those cases i reach focus it's all lost the day after like a reset button. Now im hoping the binaural treatment can bring me to focus early in the day.

ConcertaParent
08-20-12, 05:03 AM
I don't see how having a tired and sleep-deprived brain can help with ADHD; I would think things like lack of sleep, exercise and nutrition would make it worse. Good luck; I'm considering spending for audio-visual entrainment or neurofeedback myself. I have tried sleep deprivation (which works but it's tiring)

justtim
08-20-12, 10:20 AM
I don't see how having a tired and sleep-deprived brain can help with ADHD; I would think things like lack of sleep, exercise and nutrition would make it worse. Good luck; I'm considering spending for audio-visual entrainment or neurofeedback myself.

I don't understand this either. My MD as well as my therapist and psychiatrist all say that sleep-deprivation exacerbates ADHD symptoms. I can say from my experience that's true. You never function at 100% when you're mentally and physically tired.