View Full Version : Memory loss on Wellbutrin

mrsleepy
07-11-12, 04:44 PM
I am currently taking 300mg Wellbutrin to quit smoking. But I noticed that I would forget pretty easily for things that I normally remember. I use to have a 1 track mind and things like peoples names were easy. But since taking it for about 3 months, I feel like my memory is diminishing. Anyone else have this problem?

I am thinking of quitting the wellbutrin completely. If you lost your memory on wellbutrin, how many of you got back to normal once you quit?

hollywood
07-11-12, 04:48 PM
yeah I dont remember anything .. Its really weird. It makes it seem like your stimulants are not working . My stimulants work fine but even when you pump the dose up wellbutrin is basically blocking the effects from saturating more and it's prolonging the effect. Basically draining your receptors, thats why you kind of feel wierd and tired on it . I've been saying this for a few weeks, but it's time. I'm done with wellbutrin. Last day officially. Yeah man , I dont remember anything.

mrsleepy
07-11-12, 06:31 PM
Yeah it does make it feel like my stimulants arn't working. I take vyvanse and adderall for my ADD. I was wondering why the effectiveness was dropping lately.

Ok I'm done. I'm not taking wellbutrin anymore. I hope my memory returns

425runner
07-11-12, 09:16 PM
I started taking 500 mg Bacopa Monierri and CDP Choline to prevent memory loss from Wellbutrin. It's too early to tell but while it helps my depression, it makes me more outgoing but also restless and hyper so it doesn't help my ADHD all that much.

I went off of it for a week but started feeling depressed so took 1 today. I'm also taking 350 n-acetyl l-tyrosine but the effects are short lived. For some reason though, I had more energy today and felt better about things.

hollywood
07-11-12, 10:36 PM
45runner,
So your back on Wellbutrin? I know it cuts stimulants a lot . It sucks , but depression is worse

425runner
07-12-12, 08:33 AM
I guess I'll have to go back on it. The Dexedrine ER 10mg doesn't do anything for me anyway, so screw that sh*t. Hopefully I can prevent the memory loss by using the Bacopa and choline.

45runner,
So your back on Wellbutrin? I know it cuts stimulants a lot . It sucks , but depression is worse

hollywood
07-12-12, 08:55 AM
yeah its not easy . Are you on 150 or 300mg of the wellbutrin. I find when I stop wellbutrin then it seems like my drive and interest in moving forward vanish too. Although it could just take more time off , I find myself to have a better stimulant effect but my mind just latches onto anything that comes my way then. Not to say that I cannot move on without it in the picture. I may just need to be off wellbutrin for more time if I stop. I wanted to stop today but reading your post brings back my association of stopping wellbutrin and my memory of what happens when I stop.

How long have you been off wellbutrin? Did you stop and make this decision like days after stopping? If you did , then maybe you just feel different and need more time off to get a better idea of whats going on. I know what you mean though. I realize it must really help depression because when I stop it's like I feel my purpose is gone and thats depression so naturally stimulants won't help you much if you are just waking up with no purpose or goal in mind. That is a depression or just major stress.

I think ssri's or cymbalta is even more helpful when added but honestly it does make you feel more fatigued, but I guess thats life for now. Move on with some fatigue and memory issues or suffer from aimless depression .

I still feel like when I drop wellbutrin I get all over the place, but when in a task I miss the ability to memorize things and what I'm doing and what I will do alot . I miss my memory.

How long have you been off ? If it's just a few days , well then yes its normal to drag and have your stims feel like they don't work. It takes 3 weeks to really adjust to getting on wellbutrin so I think although the wean isn't as marked as ssris you just will get mental side effects when stopping wellbutrin. So you think your stims don't work but thats actually wellbutrin getting out of your system for a few days. How long were you off before saying this.

I am either sticking on wellbutrin or going to stop wellbutrin and I'd like to see what I'm like for a month on nothing or the opposite , just add cymbalta low dose with my wellbutrin. So it's drop it and go solo with stims or go cymbalta plus stimulant. I feel rather versatile with cymbalta and wellbutrin but I have a great long term memory so naturally I would like to be solo stimulant for a bit. Thats cool to be smart again, funny what this job has done. Oh well.

How long did you take off wellbutrin before saying that dex does zilch without it-

Chicchick
07-12-12, 05:11 PM
I switched the time of day I take my Wellbutrin to 2-3PM in the afternoon and I think it helps with not effecting the stimulant's effectiveness. I went up to 450XL for a few days and couldn't handle the memory thing... i felt really "dumb" though it helped my mood more. I've found a happy medium- 300XL does the trick for me without crazy side effects.

known_guy
07-17-12, 10:23 PM
Wellbutrin is weird to me. I remember back when I was on 450mg Wellbutrin XL and tried bumping back down to 300mg, I couldn't handle it, my system went nuts on me. After I later managed to stay at 300mg a couple months later (the first time was so horrible it was necessary for me to jump back to 450mg) after a difficult withdrawal struggle. Now a few months later when I bumped my dose down to 150mg my system seemed to feel cleaner or clearer, so the change was easy. But then when I tried to remove the Wellbutrin completely, my body couldn't handle it. I suffered from severe like an almost narcolepsy-feeling withdrawal and so am presently settling with 150mg. Ugh, there's something fishy about Wellbutrin. Eh, rather, something I just don't like about it. It's a funky medication.

mrsleepy
07-22-12, 01:35 PM
has anyone recovered from the memory loss from wellbutrin? i stopped about a week ago and i still feel stupid

hollywood
07-22-12, 07:02 PM
Yeah I have tried stopping down from 150 and it's a kind f ###! You will feel tired and out of it for a solid two weeks , you just have to muscle through it . It's like the addicts saying "this too shall pass" . Over time I feel like you really need to stop this drug .

mrsleepy
07-24-12, 12:29 PM
Thanks hollywood. I will try my best. I really hate this point in my life where I have great focus but I can't remember what I was thinking of a moment ago

hollywood
07-25-12, 11:29 AM
I totally understand . I will say that I have felt that my focus and drive seem to be good with wellbutrin especially in the morning hours before taking it but right up until I take it I feel alright but honestly I don't really remember anything. It's like a crazy all over the place sort of energy and I think I've just had enough. Wellbutrin does not help focusing and I should know because I struggled like crazy understanding difficult concepts every single time I've taken it and yes it does help drive and motivation but at what cost? I stopped. I didn't take it this morning and although I feel it would help give me that kick to start doing more stuff I know I'd take it and then just forget what I'm doing in the middle of the task. So, although the application is good the follow through blows with wellbutrin . So screw it.

mrsleepy
03-12-13, 11:50 AM
I know this a old thread now but I just wanted to give a little follow up.

I stop taking wellburtin every since I posted and most of my memory is back. It took a while though like 5 months. I kept doing memory training exercises too in the hope it will bring it back or strengthen it. Not sure if there's still any lasting memory problems but for the most part I'm back.