View Full Version : relationship between borderline PD and ADHD

daveddd
07-15-12, 08:55 PM
this has been discussed here quite a bit

so i thought this may be relevant and i found it interesting

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3202232/?tool=pubmed

Plognark
07-31-12, 06:44 PM
Does anyone else here have BPD in their family? My mother has it; fortunately I don't. I'm fairly confident that she has ADD as well. My grandfather also had BPD/ADHD.

One of the major bits of evidence that helped me get diagnosed was that my grandfather was not part of my mother's life: my grandmother left when my mom was still a baby to get away from his craziness. He had nothing to do with her, and never even saw her again till she was in her mid 20's, when I was born.

He and my mother wound up with the same disorder. Same symptoms, same hoarding, compulsive behaviors, splitting, projection, unpredictable mood swings and reactions, sensitivity to criticism, etc, etc... the whole thing.

I have a little bit of that, but just some of the sensitivities, and hoarding tendencies that I'm able to keep under control. I got the full ADHD blitz since my dad had it as well, but that's manageable.

Guess I'm just curious if anyone else either has these two conditions or grew up dealing with it?

ginniebean
07-31-12, 07:34 PM
Yes, my mother has bpd and HPD. It's not fun.

CheekyMonkey
07-31-12, 08:07 PM
My dad is something crazy. He would never get diagnosed though...no way. He is nuts though.

While he does exhibit MANY ADD characteristics, he is also exhibiting signs of BPD (which looks very different in men that women apparently) or psychopathy. I tend to lean towards psychopathy because he is very charming and manipulative and the level of lack of empathy and emotion is terrifying.

Bipolar and Schizophrenia also run in my family.

I didn't stand a chance of being neurotypical. :lol:

Plognark
08-01-12, 03:05 PM
Yeah, the deck was stacked against me too. It's shocking that I wound up as stable as I am.

I'm not clear on the differences in gender. From my own anecdotal family experience, the differences between father and daughter are minor. Any differences there are can just be chalked up to cultural conditioning.

Lack of emotion and empathy sounds more sociopathic than borderline. BPD is almost like feeling empathy and emotion too much; so much that it's completely overwhelming. Drives them completely crazy. It's like they get driven into a permananet dissociative state.

known_guy
08-08-12, 03:20 AM
My mother definitely has BPD, no question. Knowing that she will never seek treatment of any form nor ever accept or believe the fact that she has it, I try my best to stay cautious yet vigilant at all times. In a way, ... accommodating (?) for her behavior. Oh, and though I have no memory of this, she reportedly suffered from severe postpartum depression after she gave birth to me. There may be some relevance or influence from that, yeah? :)

As for my father, I am fairly certain he has ADHD. It would seem that I inherited the best of both worlds. And in addition I am totally the "black sheep" of my family, with my AS in particular. But who can say what helped shape who I am today, just the standard nature vs. nurture thing. Which has or had the greater influence. All I know and can say is that I'm slowly acclimating to the the complex interplay between my behavioral tendencies and life events as well as social interactions with others, relationships, etc., etc. Heh.

BR549
08-10-12, 01:27 AM
I found this part interesting:

The results of this study also show that the presence of a comorbid ADHD diagnosis influences the clinical presentation of BPD in adolescents. ADHD in BPD was significantly associated with a greater likelihood of disruptive disorders (particularly ODD) and with a trend for a greater likelihood of other cluster B personality disorders (histrionic, narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders).

Impulsivity has been suggested as an important mediator of this negative outcome among ADHD children [43,44]. The role played by impulsivity in the relationship between ADHD and outcome was indirectly suggested in our study by the observation of higher levels of impulsivity on all Barratt subscales (although significant only for the Attentional/Cognitive subscale) and in the specific domain of impulsivity on the DIB-R in the BPD-ADHD group. The impulsivity dimension of the DIB-R includes several externalizing behaviours, driven by impulsivity, such as substance abuse, promiscuous sex, reckless driving or self-harming/suicidal behaviours.

A reverse tendency on the DIB-R was observed in the domain of cognition, with borderline adolescents without ADHD showing a clinical profile characterized by more internalising symptoms such as odd thinking, unusual perceptual experiences or paranoid/quasi-psychotic experiences. This dual dissociation on the DIB-R indices between BPD and BPD-ADHD adolescents moderates the conclusions reached by Philipsen and colleagues [19], suggesting that this association might not be equivalent to a more severe form of the borderline disorder, but could correspond to a specific subtype of BPD with high impulsivity associated with an ADHD profile.

I've been reading a bit about BPD lately. I strongly suspect that my father had BPD, although not severe. He would more than likely have been diagnosed with CD if that had been a recognized disorder in the 1940's. He was most definitely a juvenile delinquent and would have ended up in prison had he not been forced to join the Air Force.

My brother (no blood relation to my father) has either BPD or NPD and ADHD. He has traits of both personality disorders.

It's interesting that BPD presents itself differently in men than it does in women and is often over looked or misdiagnosed.

I had ODD as a child. Since I've been reading about BPD in both women and men, I recognize many of the traits in myself. Fear of abandonment (not as overwhelming as it was when I was younger), emptiness and boredom, inappropriate anger, impulsiveness, risky behavior, intense-highly changeable moods, intense and often stormy relationships with friends and loved ones. Of course, I know that some of those traits are ADHD related. Still, it does make me wonder at times. Especially when I reflect back on past and current relationships.