View Full Version : what is going on cymbalta and wellbutrin

hollywood
07-18-12, 11:54 AM
If I'm on no antidepressant over time it seems like my focus is good but I may or may not focus on work . I may have to go that route. Wellbutrin helps drive but screws up my ability to focus with detail . Here is the deal , I kept thinking or think that when on wellbutrin that I'm stuck in certain thought patterns. So to break obsessive thinking or stuck thinking well I add an snri. Yet , cymbalta either makes me more focused at times and at times tired. If I take it at night maybe I am less stressed and more free to pick and choose what to focus on. Here is my question does wellbutrin increase the amount of cymbalta in the synapse hence making adhd worse? I don't know? Something is off? Do I need to take larger doses of cymbalta if I'm starting on 5 mg ? Maybe the low dose is causing the issues?

janet63
10-21-12, 06:48 PM
I would try a higher dose that seems really low. I also take cymbalta, 90 mg. I t helps some with depression ...not sure if it makes my add worse though.

hollywood
10-21-12, 07:16 PM
No idea . I like cymbalta . Not on it and cannot take . Changed pop meds and its all generic 5 dollar rx. Maybe low dose celexa will do the trick

lala1187
10-21-12, 07:26 PM
I had some sucess for a short time with Wellbutrin years ago. Stopped working and stopped taking it. Cymbalta, now that is the devil drug to me!! I went crazy on Cymbalta after a very, very short time of taking it! I mean I was manic, did crazy things, laughed hysterically at ridiculous, minute things. It was so weird! I thought I was losing my mind at the time. Of course, my dr. took me off of it, thank goodness, and put me on Effexor.

Recently, my psych put me on Wellbutrin (and some other specific ADD drugs) and the Wellbutrin did NOTHING for me at all. Once again another med change.

I'm sorry I can't really answer your question, but that does seem like a low dose of the Cymbalta. I couldn't recommend as to whether you should take a higher dose of the Cymbalta as I'm not a Dr. Can you check with your Dr. and see what he/she recommends?

hollywood
10-21-12, 09:38 PM
Yeah I just get anxious thats all . Wellbutrin sucks so no more of that

mosostow
10-26-12, 12:54 AM
My experience is that the stimulant effect of Cymbalta only really makes itself known at higher doses.

This also reflects the research, and I'm only paraphrasing here, but at low doses the Serotonin reuptake is stronger, but as you reach the higher doses, the noradrenaline reuptake becomes more pronounced. The reason for that is that past a certain dose, the serotonin reuptake doesn't increase any more or at least has no more affect on the brain. This is not the case for norepinephrine.

I'm on 90mg of Cymbalta now as per doctor's recommendations since the 60mg dose petered out. It works great, and the tiredness is gone.

hollywood
10-28-12, 10:40 PM
I believe you, I have ppo coverage but my new plan is generic only !!! So I can do jack! Scratch the wellbutrin comment it works

Fuzzy12
10-29-12, 07:38 AM
I'm taking Cymbalta and both in terms of beating the depression and having tolerable side effects I prefer it to Sertraline and Venlafaxine (:eek: :mad:).

It doesn't help me focus though (none of them didm not even venlafaxine and that's support to work on dopamine reuptake) and it does make me quite tired. All anti depressants also seem to make me slightly manic (except for Venlafaxine that just made me feel either slightly ****ty or like killing myself :mad:)

I feel for you Holly. The hunt for a decent, let alone a good, anti depressant seems to be a long and painful process especially if you add in comorbidities. Fingers crossed you find something soon that works for you.

hollywood
10-29-12, 11:05 PM
I function well just less likely to feel social anxiousness or anxiety when selecting tasks when taking snri. I guess if I can't do cymbalta then Effexor I'd Best