View Full Version : How should I ask for Desoxyn?

Phillywilly
07-20-12, 04:06 AM
Hello,

I am prescribed Adderall xr 20 mg daily. Last week was the last time I took it and I haven't taken it since, mainly because of the god-awful side effects it gives me.

The best way I can describe the side effects is as: edgy, jittery, depressed, lonely, that feeling as if the world is going to end (if anybody can relate lol):p

Anyway, after being completely miserable after taking my daily dose last week, I threw entire prescribed 90 pill-count bottle straight in the dumpster:eek:.

Lol.....what a major relief. I can't say I regret doing it, but I am in need of my ADD medication. Even more so I have been abusing marijuana (medical that is) for the past month, impulsively...I really need my medicine back so I can focus on getting my life in order:cool:

So I hear Desoxyn is a miracle drug for some people and produces little to no side effects. Just what I'm looking for.

Only problem is, how should I ask for it?

So far I've only tried Adderall and Wellbutrin for ADD. I've tried Ritalin without prescription and I have to say its just as bad as Adderall :mad:

I don't know how to ask for it....I don't want to have a red flag waved at me.

Any suggestions guys????:confused:

CheekyMonkey
07-20-12, 11:08 AM
You should just be honest and up front about the difficulties you've had with previous medications and ask to be switched. The doctor is working for you, not the other way around. If they flag you or give you a hard time, it is time to find a new pdoc!

tambourine-man
07-21-12, 03:53 PM
Here's the deal... I have sampled every brand and formulation of amphetamine on the market and yes, Desoxyn is an superbly smooth and effective stimulant, BUT it will likely disappoint 90% of those prescribed it. The big bad methamphetamine is actually VERY subtle. If you're on 45mg of Adderall and your doc switches you to Desoxyn he will probably give you no more than 20mg... and it will be practically useless. It is rumored that a 5mg Desoxyn tablet more powerful than 30mg of Adderall... blah... blah... This is hardly true. 5mg of Adderall or Dexedrine are far more noticeable IMO opinion than 5mg of the very gentle Desoxyn.

Phillywilly
07-22-12, 12:58 AM
Hmm but I mean even 20 milligrams of adderall was almost too much for me....I noticed I'm very sensitive to medication. I also don't build up a tolerance for amphetamines as I take breaks.

I'm sure 20 miligrams of Desoxyn will be more than enough...but if its not, i'm sure he can up the dosage....

I'm just going to tell my doctor that my friend recommended Desoxyn to me...does that sound like a good idea?

I'll really don't see why a doctor would disapprove of it. I don't see the harm in giving it a try. Maybe it will work out quite well.

tambourine-man
07-24-12, 08:05 PM
Hmm but I mean even 20 milligrams of adderall was almost too much for me....I noticed I'm very sensitive to medication. I also don't build up a tolerance for amphetamines as I take breaks.

I'm sure 20 miligrams of Desoxyn will be more than enough...but if its not, i'm sure he can up the dosage....

I'm just going to tell my doctor that my friend recommended Desoxyn to me...does that sound like a good idea?

I'll really don't see why a doctor would disapprove of it. I don't see the harm in giving it a try. Maybe it will work out quite well.

I have a giant thread called Desoxyn - The Holy Grail? Which provides much anecdotal and several peer reviewed essays about its effectiveness. Knowledge is power.

Jl8888
11-09-12, 07:00 PM
Here's the deal... I have sampled every brand and formulation of amphetamine on the market and yes, Desoxyn is an superbly smooth and effective stimulant, BUT it will likely disappoint 90% of those prescribed it. The big bad methamphetamine is actually VERY subtle. If you're on 45mg of Adderall and your doc switches you to Desoxyn he will probably give you no more than 20mg... and it will be practically useless. It is rumored that a 5mg Desoxyn tablet more powerful than 30mg of Adderall... blah... blah... This is hardly true. 5mg of Adderall or Dexedrine are far more noticeable IMO opinion than 5mg of the very gentle Desoxyn.

I have to disagree here. Indeed, one might end up with only 20 mg of Desoxyn after a much higher dose of something else. Let's assume for a moment that the previous high dose of another drug was not excessive (this is not a given BTW, because they are after all switching away from the drug). No one is stopping you from returning to the doctor and saying that although this drug works much MUCH better than all others, the dose is unfortunately too low. If a doctor has already prescribed you Desoxyn, I can not imagine that same doctor being too squeamish about carefully titrating up the dose.

If you are lucky enough to be more or less ok with either one stimulant or another, then your position of being dismissive of a specific drug is well understood. But if Desoxyn works where others do not, then a protracted dialog with a doctor, where you come in every couple of months and get another 5 mg per day added to your prescription, may be very much worth it.

If one is nervous about their behavior coming across as drug-seeking, then he should look into why this is the case. Many times, overly risk averse doctors will subtly or even subconsciously, in a passive-aggressive manner, bully the patient into this "request anxiety" in taking advantage of this weird imbalance of power that is created when we walk into the office of an expert who is also in a position to ease our pain or take away this assistance and let us suffer. But, if there is ever the time to be mature and stand up for your self, the 15 minutes spent with the prescriber that will impact months and years of your life every single minute of every single day, surely must qualify.

You can say things like "when I take 30 (or 40 or 50..) mg, which is what i did on this many occasions, the results are much better in the following ways. When I take it as directed, the results are worse in the following ways". You don't have to wait until you run out and go back after being off meds for 10 days, but instead, if you are taking more, make another appointment right away, and tell the doc. You will often times walk out with a larger script.

rollinrollin
11-23-12, 06:26 PM
Desoxyn is by far the best stimulant for treating ADD, but dosing is HARD. They used to come in 15mg now only 5 to trick doctors and pharmacists into "feeling" they are giving you more than they really are. It takes ~60mg of this to really kick in. 15mg a day can't do it. If you take 70mg of vyvanse you'll KRASHHHHHHHHHHHHH in the end and will have to take Xanax, Klonopin, and Ambien just to stop the hell. The DEA sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cillianred
11-26-12, 02:32 PM
I personally wouldn't, but only because the DEA's put the strong arm to the ubiquitous chain pharmacies, e.g. Walgreens, CVS, etc. RE: the OTC Dayquil + battery acid meth epidemic.

Your script would be legitimate obviously, still any ADHD patient on stimulant therapy knows many chainstore pharmacists will throw road block after road block at you when it comes to Schedule II substances. That's not to bad mouth pharmacists, it's their job to make sure the meds get to the folks who are actually prescribed them.

But I'm not sure it's the best environment out there for a Desoxyn prescription.

If I were you I would:
- Talk to your doctor about adding a small dose of an adjunctive agent like an SSRI at night. Your reaction to Adderall is likely indicative of depression, which you've probably carried with you from a lifetime of issues due to ADHD. If so, you're in good company around here :).

- Ask for Vyvanse and see if your doctor suggests any Dexedrine boosters.

I would not tell him/her your took MPH w/o a script, unless you already have.