View Full Version : Neurontin (gabapentin) for anxiety

netsavy006
07-22-12, 07:34 PM
I've read that neurontin/gabapentin is sometimes used off label for anxiety.

I'd like to know, do/did you take neurontin for anxiety, and if so how did it work out for you?

silivrentoliel
07-22-12, 07:37 PM
I used it for migraines- not real sure if it helped w/ anxiety or not... I was not on ADHD meds at the time, so it's hard to say. I do know it's used for BP.

known_guy
07-25-12, 02:38 AM
I tried Neurontin (doses of 600mg/800mg) for a while, found it to be somewhat helpful, but I think the effects were subtle.
I only really noticed its effectiveness after skipping say a couple to a few doses then realizing my anxiety levels jack up. Works for some.

jl0078
07-28-12, 05:04 AM
I take 1200mg for chronic tension headaches, but it supposedly helps with anxiety too. I have GAD, but not sure how much it helps. I take Cymbalta for anxiety - that works really well for me!

VOltaire
01-31-13, 02:04 AM
Impressive drug highest lawsuit per capita in the wide world of pharmecuticals, at one point was proclaimed to be a miracle drug for everything!!!
Off label uses which have been most beneficial to me especially how fast it starts working for me!!! It has sedative properties, promotes rest and relaxation at proper doses, wonderful sense of well being, improved cognative abilities, If your looking looking to gain a short term sense of well being and cost effective!!!
Also coming from someone with mononeuropathy,it works great but not as effictive as it's controlled version status a.k.a. Lyrica!! Thats a whole other thread!

effective daily doses for me run anywhere from 3600 to 4800 mgs!

tambourine-man
06-13-13, 08:08 AM
Go with Lyrica, a similar but highly improved version of Neurontin. Don't take it every day. It has a real magic that will be lost to tolerance.

realoldadhd
10-09-13, 02:52 PM
I take one gabapentin a day 300mg. It does not help my adhd.... I'm more forget ful than ever. It promotes a feeling of not caring about all your little and big mistakes.
I am so glad i finally got a diagnosis.....at the ripe old age of 62.

Warhawk
10-18-13, 03:35 PM
I prefer my current script of Neurontin (gabapentin) 1,600mg. [400mg. QID] for generalized anxiety disorder over my old script of Klonopin (clonazepam) 1.5mg. [0.5mg. TID]. I was on Lyrica (pregabalin) 300mg. [150mg. BID] and was changed last month to Neurontin and stuck with it this month too for tolerance issues. I plan on going back next month to Lyrica (pregabalin) 450mg. [150mg. TID].

We are using it is an adjunct mood stabilizer in addition to using it as anxiolytic so it works great for that purpose; however, it does lose anxiolytic effectiveness over time. But, it is similar to how clonazepam does the same thing-- it still "works" and works better than a benzo for me. I highly suggest it for GAD.

ProfDistracted
10-21-13, 07:55 PM
I take 600 mg (300 x 2) per day. It has a relatively short half-life, thus, the split dosage.

Yes, it does help anxiety. For me, it is a great alternative to benzos. Xanax makes me tired and frankly, stupid. I mean, like drunk stupid. I have enough problems with work without adding the pharmaceutical equivalent of 2 vodka tonics to the mix. :)

Anyway, gabapentin helps -- combined with Lexapro and Wellbutrin. (A complex cocktail, I know. Sigh.))

But there were some rather strange side effects at first.

For instance, when you pick up a pen to write your name, without Gabapentin, there is no delay or even a thought between the time you decide to write, and when you actually do it. The action is instantaneous with the thought.

In contrast, with Gabapentin, I have to actually think for a nanosecond about what I want to do with my hand. It's really weird. It is hard to explain, but it slows everything down, cognitively. I think that it may just make me have a normal non-adhd response -- but "normal" feels strange and sloooooooow sometimes.

And I also had memory issues for awhile. Nothing major, it was mainly the inability to recall certain common words, or spellings. I actually had to think "what street do I live on?" etc. This issue resolved within a month or so.

Anyway, this delay or slower pace, helps with impulsivity, and dampens the tendency to have those overwhelming, streaming-all-at-once thought processes that create lots of anxiety for me.

JuliaRose
11-03-13, 06:59 AM
i take 300mg gabapentin 2 or 3 x day. i find it to be incredibly helpful with both anxiety and headaches. i have not had any side effects from it either.

i also take lexapro, lithium, abilify, and adderall and it doesn't seem to adversely affect any of them.

Drogheda
12-09-13, 04:42 AM
at one point I was in extreme disarray. full on depression, not to mention anxiety. the ADHD meds were not working for me at all (stratera) and after about 4 different drugs (2 with awfull side effects, thanks zoloft :() we came to this drug.

and it's wonderful for me. I hear that it is really hit or miss with almost everyone, but for me it was like night and day.

I still have a script for it and take it on my bad days or when I really need to shine, just one 300 mg every 4 hours is a godsend, anxiety just melts. I don't take higher because it does have a *drunk* effect (that is actually really pleasant but not so good for social settings, also it makes the drug useless for about 3 days, tolerance builds very quickly).

I think that is the key for me atleast, I don't take it everyday (getting a real hold on anxiety in more of a cognitive sense) so when I really need it it is there, a very good tool