View Full Version : Dragon Speak Computer software

NateDEEzy
07-30-12, 02:31 PM
Just got that Dragon speak software for my computer ( on sale for like $29 or $30 on groupon and even amazon I believe-down from it's original price, $100). I love it! I'm not a very fast typer, and so this is amazing for me. What would normally take me an hour to do, I can now do in 10 minutes or less. I have a lot of thoughts that normally by the time I can type out, are different than my initial thought because I have trouble with memory recall, and so with this, I just have to speak it when it pops into my head and it types it right out.. It's F'n awesome !
Just thought I'd share, as I'm sure many people with ADHD-PI/SCT/ and maybe even ADHD might have similar troubles as I. Literally looked around my room and spoke out everything I saw, and I had a list of things.. took me less than 30 seconds.. typing would have taken at least 3 or more minutes. AMAZING !!

Flory
07-30-12, 08:17 PM
i have adhd h/i and dyspraxia..i just got this ishhh last week..its magic :) xx

tortilaman
07-30-12, 11:21 PM
Just got that Dragon speak software for my computer ( on sale for like $29 or $30 on groupon and even amazon I believe-down from it's original price, $100). I love it! I'm not a very fast typer, and so this is amazing for me. What would normally take me an hour to do, I can now do in 10 minutes or less. I have a lot of thoughts that normally by the time I can type out, are different than my initial thought because I have trouble with memory recall, and so with this, I just have to speak it when it pops into my head and it types it right out.. It's F'n awesome !
Just thought I'd share, as I'm sure many people with ADHD-PI/SCT/ and maybe even ADHD might have similar troubles as I. Literally looked around my room and spoke out everything I saw, and I had a list of things.. took me less than 30 seconds.. typing would have taken at least 3 or more minutes. AMAZING !!

A link to the groupon would be awesome. Not sure if it works that way though.

meadd823
07-31-12, 01:47 AM
I have considered getting this program but I am not to sure if I want every one in the house to hear what I am posting besides the dyslexia editing time is one of the reasons I am still able to be a member here = It sort of counters the impulsive tendencies.

With my computer time restricted due to work I am considering getting the program any way. Even if I do not use it to post here it may come in handy with e-mails, Journal entries and blogs

anonymouslyadd
07-31-12, 02:10 AM
How many mistakes does it make, if any? Also, how much time does it take for it to recognize your voice?

fracturedstory
07-31-12, 02:23 AM
Could be helpful. I'll look into it. Lol at midnight people would be hearing this voice in a darkened room talking about secret bases, autism, alien ships and relationship dramas, usually a left-wing 20 something getting into arguments.

But seriously when I get these thoughts and don't write them down then they're gone forever. And at midnight I just can't be bothered doing that.

NateDEEzy
07-31-12, 11:08 AM
How many mistakes does it make, if any? Also, how much time does it take for it to recognize your voice?

surprisingly not many. As long as you speak with a normal speaking tone and speed, it'll usually pick up everything you say, it's pretty amazing. Additionally, it doesn't have to be a smooth speed either, like if you take breaks while articulating what you're trying to say, that doesn't matter. It's when you start speaking too fast, that it cannot articulate words. But really this isn't a problem, unless you're an extremely fast talker, as long as you speak normally, you'll be fine. And you don't have to wait really, usually if you speak a sentence, it'll be completely written out a second or 2 after you speak it, much faster than typing.. at least for me anyway. I usually speak out a thought (couple sentences or whatever) and then go through to make sure it got it right. Totally worth the $30 or so dollars if you use it. Additionally, you want to get version 11.5. I've heard 11 is a bit slow. I'm not sure, but I think if you buy 11, you get a free upgrade to 11.5, and 11 is $30 on amazon, 11.4 is like $45.

Also, headset with mic is included !

demfabbones
08-01-12, 01:25 PM

My dad is disabled and uses Dragon. You "train" Dragon to recognize your particular way of speaking, and his works pretty well by now (he's been using it for a year.) It was slow going at first - if you have an more distinct accent than the "typical" midwestern way of speaking, it may take longer. Also, if you type a lot of technical terms, Dragon has to learn those as well. (It's sort of like when spell check doesn't recognize words that are too technical/obscure to be in the standard dictionary.)

The part of Dragon that's much more frustrating it is giving it voice commands. For ex., telling it to open a window, move the mouse, save a document, etc. etc. I'm assuming though that you'd be using it just for dictation and could do other tasks with the mouse.

NateDEEzy
08-01-12, 09:00 PM
My dad is disabled and uses Dragon. You "train" Dragon to recognize your particular way of speaking, and his works pretty well by now (he's been using it for a year.) It was slow going at first - if you have an more distinct accent than the "typical" midwestern way of speaking, it may take longer. Also, if you type a lot of technical terms, Dragon has to learn those as well. (It's sort of like when spell check doesn't recognize words that are too technical/obscure to be in the standard dictionary.)

The part of Dragon that's much more frustrating it is giving it voice commands. For ex., telling it to open a window, move the mouse, save a document, etc. etc. I'm assuming though that you'd be using it just for dictation and could do other tasks with the mouse.

Yes, when I can't figure out how to do something, I just use my mouse to quickly intervene and fix it. I can imagine it's probably more difficult, and thus more frustrating for your dad ! But the fact that you can talk into a plastic device and your computer recognizes everything you say and types it out for you is... well, to say the least, so incredibly amazing that I can't fathom it. I know it doesn't seem so crazy cuz of all the amazing technology we have today, but imagine explaining this to someone 100 years ago. Their head would explode !