View Full Version : Psychologist specializing in ADHD

07-30-12, 05:40 PM
I am searching for a psychologist who specializes in the treatment of adult ADHD. I was diagnosed with adult ADHD about 5 years ago after I had shunt brain surgery to treat hydrocephalus. Back then, I tried Adderall, Concerta, and Strattera. The first two made me feel like my scalp was on fire. It also made me feel like my blood pressure was off the chart. As a result of these side effects, I got off the meds altogether, and never really tried to find meds that would work. I never really gave Strattera a chance so going to a non-stimulent med might be a good approach to start with?

Fast forward five years - my ADHD has gotten worse and I need to find a psychologist (or maybe start with a psychiatrist) that truly understands adult ADHD. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I live in the Houston area.

07-30-12, 07:36 PM
start off with a fact skip the psychologist altogether unless you need a full educational evaluation...the psych will understand meds etc best of all..i cant help you with a specialist as im from the UK, but try searching the forums there is a thread somewhere with contact info

07-31-12, 07:56 AM
a psychiatrist is best, check out the texas section.

08-02-12, 11:39 AM
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!