View Full Version : Pre-Employment Drug Test

lovinmyson
07-31-12, 02:20 PM
I'm prescribed and have been taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg for my ADD and Depression. I took a pre-employment 5panel urine drug test on friday. Will Wellbutrin show up on the test and give a positive result?

BR549
07-31-12, 02:29 PM
I'm unclear on your question. A positive result for what--an NDRI? Are you concerned that your employer will know you are being treated for depression and not hire you?

TheChemicals
07-31-12, 02:34 PM
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88641

justtim
07-31-12, 02:43 PM
I hire 4-5 people a month and all of them have to take a drug screen, so I've encountered this many times. If you are asked to take a drug screen and you are on any medication, prescription or OTC, you should check with your doctor or pharmacist about how it will affect a drug screen. Once you know what to expect you should disclose this to the hiring manager as well as the tech when you take the drug test, at least let them note it on the chain of custody form.

An employer will be a lot less suspicious if you tell then up front than they will be if they get back your test results and it shows your taking amphetamines.

TheChemicals
07-31-12, 02:46 PM
you dont need to tell the employer but you do need to tell the testing center. The drug testing agency will not disclose the meds your on. Telling your employer is not a good thing.

justtim
07-31-12, 02:47 PM
you dont need to tell the employer but you do need to tell the testing center. The drug testing agency will not disclose the meds your on. Telling your employer is not a good thing.

Editing this as my bluntness could have come across as rude.

As an employer, if someone is up-front, professional and honest with me then I will appreciate that. I've had people who didn't tell me and then we have to retest because after the fact they say, "Oh yeah, I'm taking so and so." I've also had others that tell me beforehand, "I'm taking so-and-so and it may show up on the drug screen as X", and I definitely respect that.

BR549
07-31-12, 02:51 PM
Wellbutrin isn't an amphetamine and won't show up as one. It's not a controlled substance.

lovinmyson
07-31-12, 03:09 PM
Thank you all so much for the quick replies. I was so worried so I called the Employer and I'm glad to say that I passed the drug test they're just waiting for my criminal background check. The person in human resource told me that they knew there stuff at the place that does the testing. I'm so grateful because I really needed this job.

lovinmyson
07-31-12, 03:38 PM
Editing this as my bluntness could have come across as rude.

As an employer, if someone is up-front, professional and honest with me then I will appreciate that. I've had people who didn't tell me and then we have to retest because after the fact they say, "Oh yeah, I'm taking so and so." I've also had others that tell me beforehand, "I'm taking so-and-so and it may show up on the drug screen as X", and I definitely respect that.

when the person in human resource told me that I passed the drug test my ADD kicked in and I blurted out "Oh that's good because I take depression medicine for my depression and I thought it was gonna show up as something bad':umm1: He was very nice about it but I kind of felt like a moron after saying that. :thankyou:

lovinmyson
07-31-12, 03:42 PM
After all that worrying....I just got a call back....I got the job!

justtim
07-31-12, 11:27 PM

Congrats! :yes:

CheekyMonkey
07-31-12, 11:32 PM

Yay! Congrats!

kin345
11-16-12, 01:54 AM
Pre employment is must if you want to hire any employees. There are many companies which are working on investing the background check. You can take help of any company and came to know the background of any employee.

dogluver358
11-19-12, 12:10 PM
For future reference, you do not have to tell your job, just the testing center. For the times I went to one, they wanted you to bring the bottles so they could make a copy. Personally, I wouldn't want my employer knowing some of the medicines I take.

And btw, congrats on the job!