View Full Version : Still unsure of how to ask for Desoxyn

Phillywilly
08-01-12, 02:46 AM
So I have my appointment on Monday. I'm a little bit intimidated about asking for Desoxyn.:eek:

Does anyone know a good approach as to how I could ask my doctor about Desoxyn with ease?

Should I just tell him that my friend recommended it and finds great results with no side effects?

I mean I don't want to lie to him but he's going to think its pretty random for me to ask for Desoxyn out of the blue. :eyebrow:

Thanks I need some suggestions!!! :thankyou::thankyou::grouphug:

tambourine-man
08-01-12, 11:15 AM
I discuss how I asked, what info I brought in (with links) and how it worked for me in this thread...

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113344

tambourine-man
08-01-12, 11:19 AM
I'll make it easy on you. Grab your printer...

Since relevant information on this medication is so rare, I thought I would post links to some of the helpful information that I brought to my doctor's attention.

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/436337

There is little evidence to suggest clinical use of dextromethamphetamine possesses greater liability of abuse, addiction or tolerance than other amphetamines. However, when the drug is abused (where it is traditionally used in dramatically higher doses than those employed clinically), methamphetamine is considered to be highly addictive. [Munzar P, et al. (1999). Effects of dopamine and serotonin-releasing agents on meth-amphetamine discrimination and self-administration in rats. Psychopharmacology 141: 287–296.]

http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Desoxyn

Further, because the secondary effects of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride are least among the amphetamine-class stimulants or methylphenidate but the highest degree of primary effectiveness (i.e., most effective at enhancing concentration and decreasing distractibility, with the least occurrence of side effects), Desoxyn can be useful for patients who find other medications ineffective or for whom the side effects of such other medications are too severe.

The greater primary effectiveness of Desoxyn is believed to be caused by the extra methyl group of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride which is lacking in basic amphetamine, which may increase the solubility of dextromethamphetamine hydrochloride in lipids (and therefore be more deeply and thoroughly absorbed into the fatty tissue of the brain).

As a pharmaceutical-grade form of methamphetamine, which has gained a reputation for abuse, Desoxyn has retained a degree of controversy because of concerns it may be abused. However, the tablet form of Desoxyn cannot effectively be smoked, snorted or injected, and many patients treated with Desoxyn report the benefits to exceed that of related treatments such as Ritalin/methylphenidate or Adderall/amphetamine. Further, research has indicated that ADD/ADHD patients treated with stimulants are in fact less likely to abuse substances than patients who are not treated with these drugs, and there is little evidence that prescription stimulant use under a medical program administered by a doctor leads to abuse.

A detailed study which contains information on the chemical reasons for Desoxyn's potency, yet relative lack of side-effects...

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/15/2/1308.full.pdf

sarahsweets
08-02-12, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure why, but desoxyn seems to be considered a last resort treatment for adhd.

Vito, ADDer
08-07-12, 11:48 AM
So I have my appointment on Monday. I'm a little bit intimidated about asking for Desoxyn.:eek:

Does anyone know a good approach as to how I could ask my doctor about Desoxyn with ease?

Should I just tell him that my friend recommended it and finds great results with no side effects?

I mean I don't want to lie to him but he's going to think its pretty random for me to ask for Desoxyn out of the blue. :eyebrow:

Thanks I need some suggestions!!! :thankyou::thankyou::grouphug:
Phillywilly:

The truth is always best. There is no need for any kind of duplicity.

I don't see any reason why it should be "...pretty random...to ask for Desoxyn out of the blue." The point is that it's NOT out of the blue. If you believe that your current medication isn't effective, or that there's another medication that might be more effective, why shouldn't you want to try it? Is it "random" for you to be interested in your own health? Is it "out of the blue" for you to be curious enough about your own well-being to do some reading on the available medications? I don't think so. I should think that your doctor would welcome your active participation in the patient/provider relationship. Mine does. If yours doesn't, perhaps you need a different doctor.

If you don't know how to approach it, simply say that you've been researching all of the medications used for treatment of ADD because you're not sure that whatever you're taking now is the best medication for you. I mean, if that's really the truth, why should you hesitate to say so?

Of course, you must give good reasons for wanting to try a different medication. You should be prepared to tell the doctor WHY you're not satisfied with what you're taking now. If you have adverse side effects, you should be very clear about what they are. If you can't give your doctor a clear reason why your current medication is not optimally effective, you can expect him not to be enthusiastic about trying something else especially something as stigmatized as Desoxyn.

I would advise you NOT to give as your only reason that you read glowing praise for Desoxyn by someone on an Internet forum. That wouldn't convince me if I were your doctor. Anything that people say about Desoxyn's virtues (or any medication's virtues) is only their own personal experience, and it doesn't necessarily apply to you. All medications do not work in the same way for everyone. I cannot tolerate Ritalin or Adderall. That doesn't mean they're "bad" medications. It just means they don't work for me. Those same medications have helped many others. Just because someone else claims to find supernatural bliss with Desoxyn doesn't mean the same thing will happen for you.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't mention that you've found that many people are helped by Desoxyn. Rather, I'm saying that it probably won't be very convincing if that's your only reason. Many doctors are unwilling to call attention to themselves by prescribing it. You'll have to provide the doctor with sound empirical evidence why something else won't work better.

Nevertheless, you have every right to try other medications if you believe they might do a better job. If your doctor resents your curiosity and interest in your finding the best possible treatment, you definitely need to find a doctor who recognizes that the role of a physician is enhancing the well-being of the patient. His oath requires that he do no harm. If you are convinced that the medication you're taking now is not doing the best job, or is even harmful, he has both a moral and a professional obligation to help you find one that works better.

It is perfectly natural for you to have an interest in effective medications. After all, who has a higher proprietary interest in your health than you do?

I hope that's of some help.