View Full Version : Moving to UK- already diagnosed in Australia

08-01-12, 05:43 AM

I've asked about this in the medication section before- but this looks like a more appropriate section. Hopefully someone can help.

I live in Australia and was diagnosed with ADD about 4 months ago. My psychiatrist has me on dexamphetamine- I've seen him regularly since diagnosis.

I'm moving to the UK in about a month and have no idea what to expect re continuing treatment. I can take three months worth of meds with me and my dr has said he'll write a letter to a new dr. But what are the practicalities? Do I have to go through another diagnosis? How long does this take? Is it NHS covered or is it going to break the bank? And on an ongoing basis? Do I need a permanent psychiatrist or will a GP be able to manage my treatment?

And what are these waiting lists that everyone is talking about? I'm really concerned that I might run out of meds and be unable to access further treatment- the idea of involuntarily withdrawing without medical supervision, in a new country, while studying, sounds really awful.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

08-01-12, 11:48 PM
Waiting lists as far as i'm aware is for being diagnosed - i've never had problems getting meds since i've been diagnosed.

GP I believe cannot write prescriptions so it may be a different doctor.

Not sure about the procedure regarding the NHS. If you're a student I think it's all free however prescriptions cost 7.

As far as i'm also aware - NHS only give concerta and ritalin - and some other non-stimulant.

08-02-12, 06:21 AM

Wow changing meds would be full on. Do they not do dex in any form at all?

I hope that my diagnosis is recognized in the UK. I just have no idea. I mean, you'd think it would be, but the whole thing is so opaque.

I wonder what dr I would get scripts from if not a GP.

08-02-12, 06:33 AM
I think, once you have a diagnosis, getting meds shouldn't be too difficult. As Ash said, I think the only meds available are Concerta, Ritalin and Strattera though I think, it might be possible to get others as well, if you have a prescription.

As far as I know, GPs can prescribe ADHD medication but they can't diagnose ADHD. So if you have a diagnosis already, a GP should be able to prescribe the meds for you.

I think, the best might be to contact a GP or the NHS information centre. (

0845 300 6016

I'm not sure if you can call that number from outside the UK but I couldn't find any other number. If you want, I can call them for you.

As a student, you'd be probably be registered with your university clinic. It might be worth giving them a call.

08-03-12, 06:10 AM
Dexamphetamine is available in the UK. As long as you have a cooperative GP, it shouldn't be a problem. Just be aware that some GPs still have a hard time accepting ADHD as a valid diagnosis among adults. Many are just plain scared of prescribing stimulants. If you find your new GP to be difficult, just ask to see a different one. Prescription costs only apply in England. They are free in Scotland and Wales as far as I know.

Let us know if you have any problems and feel free to PM me if you find yourself being told by anyone in the NHS that Dexamphetamine isn't available to you.

Hope it goes well.

08-08-12, 08:15 AM
Thanks so much for the help guys... I'm hoping that my psych letter and some googling should help me to find a good dr or psych. I might PM you if I need any advice. Thanks again.