View Full Version : Is there a med that can stop a hypomanic episode?

starrykitten
08-01-12, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure, but I think I might be having a hypomanic episode triggered by trauma. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow, but I'm miserable today and was thinking of going to urgent care. Aside from just giving you benzos (which is another problem--ran out of clonazepam yesterday and can't refill until tomorrow) or beta blockers (I have propanalol and it's not helping), is there a med that can pretty much stop the episode? I take Abilify and Lamictal, so I'm usually pretty okay and don't feel like I need to add in another everyday med.

crystal8080
08-01-12, 12:54 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to send you a hug.:grouphug:

Hope you feel better.

CheekyMonkey
08-02-12, 01:50 AM
Is it the time of year or something!?

My husband is in the same boat right now. Just riding it out and hoping his medications stabilize it enough. :)

There is nothing you can do to really "stop" it. I suggest avoiding caffeine and all triggers, as well as staying on a strict sleep schedule if possible.

Sometimes you just have to ride the wave out. Heck, sometimes my husband gets lots of housework done when he is hypomanic. :lol:

I know it can be scary though. ((hug))

keliza
08-07-12, 12:25 AM
If you are severely unstable you can go to the emergency room and they can put you on a 72 hour hold and snow you with antipsychotics to try and bring you down from the episode, but generally hypomanic episodes aren't considered dangerous enough to warrant that kind of inpatient treatment. Usually they will not take you into inpatient care unless they have determined that you are a risk to your life or the lives of others.

Some drugs work faster than others. Atypical antipsychotics (like Abilify, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Risperdal, Clozaril, etc.) tend to work pretty quickly, within a week or two. The original "classic" antipsychotics (like Haldol and Thorazine) are also very fast acting, but they tend to be extremely sedating, even more so than the atypical antipsychotics. Depakote, an anti-epileptic drug, can also be fairly quick, and even Lithium can kick in within a week's time and help stabilize mood.

The slower acting drugs tend to be those that are anti-depressant drugs specifically. Antidepressants in the class of SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclic antidepressants, etc. usually take 4-6 weeks to cause an appreciable change in mood. Drugs meant to stabilize mania or hypomanic episodes work much faster, like those listed above. Many of them are very powerful drugs, however, and aren't intended to be used except in serious situations. Hypomania, as unpleasant as it can be, would not usually warrant the use of those drugs for stabilization. You really don't want to get laid out on an IV push of Compazine if you can avoid it. I slept through almost being physically knocked out of a hospital bed in the emergency room when I was snowed out on Compazine.

Has your doctor ever suggested Trileptal? It's an anti-epileptic drug that has mood stabilizing properties, and can work very well for preventing manic and hypomanic episodes, especially in people who are more prone to hypomania than full-blown manic episodes. It tends to work pretty quickly and it doesn't have the huge side effect profile of many other mood stabilizers. I know you posted this almost a week ago so your appointment has come and gone, but it's something to consider if you decide to go on another mood stabilizer. Just a thought.

Let us know how you're doing!

sadlook
08-30-12, 03:09 PM
You could always go to the hospital voluntarily and they can give you some shots. I've done that before!