View Full Version : Boo, Chrome

Abi
08-01-12, 07:14 PM
Chrome is turning words like "Profile", "Date", and "Online" on webpages into hyperlinks for advertisements.

Is it just me?

namazu
08-01-12, 07:32 PM
I've uninstalled Chrome, so don't know if it's actually a new addition by Google, but it sounds like some plug-ins or malware may install something that "enhances" (cough, cough) the text by hyperlinking ads...

Have you recently changed any settings or installed any plug-ins?

Check out some of the Google Chrome support sites for info -- it sounds like there may be more than one possible source of this nuisance, and you'll need to identify it before you can uninstall it.

Abi
08-01-12, 07:41 PM
Just sorted it out.

It is indeed malaware, it was masquerading as a Chrome extension called "Video File Downloader"

purpleToes
08-04-12, 07:36 AM
However, Chrome did allow a sidebar ad to have a text field that was pre-populated with my email address using its form-filler. You had to click on a button to to send it, but it would have been very easy to do by accident. I was so miffed I forgot to screen-cap it. I haven't seen one since then, so hopefully they realized that was a horrible idea and stopped it.

CheekyMonkey
08-04-12, 11:16 AM
That happened to me, same deal! :mad:

Hope you got it taken care of!

zoomman
08-17-12, 05:02 PM
My understanding is that Google uses chrome to (and this should surprise none) track websurfing activities. Targeted ads are certainly Google's modus operandi. Perhaps consider switching to Firefox and install some privacy add-ons?

purpleToes
08-17-12, 05:22 PM
Yes, targeted ads are no surprise to me. Ugh, so annoying when I look up something like engagement ring on a whim and then engagement ring ads follow me everywhere for weeks. Rub it in, why don't you. It did surprise me that the ad was allowed to use code that called the form-filler. I still haven't seen it again, so I'm guessing it was fixed.

Now that I think about it, the form filler probably doesn't have a foolproof way of distinguishing whether a form field is in an ad. So this wouldn't be browser-dependent. So, I take back my boo to Chrome and give it to Google Ads, but I take it back again since it seems like they have put a stop to it.