View Full Version : Anyone succeed with Viibryd?

Amtram
08-01-12, 08:13 PM
Starting week three, first day at 40mg, and getting brain zaps as I'm titrating up is really disconcerting. I'm feeling some mood improvement, but it's really hard to function like this! Any experiences on how much longer I might have to put up with it?

Spacemaster
08-01-12, 10:20 PM
I had liquid diarrhea when I started it. Awful. I was on it for about a week and a half and I didn't sleep for more than 2 hours on any given night. I got the brain zaps too,but I didn't know if they were from the med or lack of sleep. Icka never again. I only gave it a week and a half though, as the side effects were just too much. As soon as I titrated up, I had to go home from work because my head felt so icky.

Amtram
08-02-12, 10:00 AM
I haven't had any of the really intense side effects, but I also have a pretty fair tolerance for things that I think will be temporary. That's the only reason I'm trying to stick this out, because I know that the transition could well be temporary.

I've had to lay off my Adderall, though. The combination was just too harsh, especially on the days I tried to take the Viibryd in the morning. I'm figuring I'll give the Viibryd another couple of weeks to even out and see how well I can get by stim-free. I should know before I start school, but I really would hate to be getting into that and transitioning between meds again!

hollywood
08-02-12, 10:15 AM
how would adding adderall be too harsh? I guess since I have sleep apnea my idea of that would be odd since I always have had morning fatigue from apnea.

Amtram
08-12-12, 05:29 PM
OK, the Viibryd has pretty much settled in nicely, with a much better mood, even some stirrings of libido, unpleasant side effects over.

However. . .when they say "do not drink alcohol" with this med, they really mean it. I never had a problem with alcohol with any of my other A/Ds, whether it was a little or a lot. Last night, I had more than I have in a while, but not only did it hit me harder, but I got up in the middle of the night, and just fell right down and had a seizure. (I knew it because as I was coming to, my right foot was still kicking between two pieces of furniture - that sure looks pretty this morning!)

Might have been exacerbated by not taking my xanax, too. That works similarly in a way to anticonvulsants, I believe, but I didn't want to take it with my head all spinny from four beers!

So, if anyone manages to last past the first few horrible weeks, this medication seems to be an effective antidepressant, but you have to be more careful of the interaction with alcohol than with certain other SSRIs!

speculative
08-22-12, 10:46 AM
I just started this. I had a wine spritzer last night, just because my wife wanted to have one. So, I had about a half of one glass of wine (or less) and it really hit me hard this morning. I can't imagine drinking a few strong drinks (or more!) on this med. :o Will report back after I've been on it awhile...

One thing that I have heard is that the manufacturer is revising their "starter packs" because 40mg dose is too much for almost everyone. When my doc gave me the starter kit, she said that most people she's worked with have found the 20mg dose is the right one. So, if you are getting good results, don't feel like you have to go up to the 40mg necessarily, just because it's in the packet...

Amtram
08-22-12, 03:06 PM
Well, I have to say that at this point, the 40mg is working really, really well on my mood, and side effects are - well, hard to judge at this point what's from the Viibryd and what's from the pressure on my brain - I guess pretty unnoticeable. The not drinking at all is something I won't have trouble with, I just didn't realize how much more important it was with this medication.

The mood is definitely excellent. Libido is definitely on an upswing.

hollywood
08-22-12, 11:12 PM
How is it that you function on this stuff. I take it and cant think straight.

Amtram
08-23-12, 10:27 PM
Well, right now my thinking is all wobbly anyway, but I'll see if that changes after I get the lump taken out of my head!

hollywood
08-24-12, 04:19 PM
I am not really sure. I took inderal and could focus all day , it killed my anxiety . I get more scattered panic i dont know which task to do first anxiety and inderal resolved that

jspet
10-02-12, 08:44 PM
She had me on Prozac to start, but the libido thing was unworkable. I settled at 10m mg Viibryd. No problems at all and it takes that last bit of depression out of my body along with 300mg Wellbutrin.

Amtram
10-03-12, 09:43 AM
I've actually had to go off it because I'm having surgery, and it has some anticoagulant effects. Coming off it was much easier than some SSRIs, and the brain zaps are much less frequent and less intense. Depending on how the surgery affects my brain, I may have to completely revisit my entire medication regimen from step one.

Pittprof
01-31-13, 06:29 PM
I started Viibryd about 2 months ago and titrated up to 30mg (40mg had WAY too many side effects). Has anyone had luck taking it at night?

I've been taking it in the a.m. and find that my thinking gets really cloudy about 6 hours later. I'm wondering if taking it with dinner would make that happen overnight....or if that's even the cause.

thabaker
03-06-13, 05:16 PM
I would like to apologize ahead of time for the lengthy post and any inconsistencies or grammatical errors in my story.

Some background info:
My meds at the time: Viibryd (titrated) for depression
Hydroxyzine (50-100mg) for anxiety and insomnia
Vyvanse (40mg) for ADHD

Seeing Doctor for: Depression
Anxiety (I'm not sure if it would would be considered GAD, SAD, or both)
ADHD Treatment (Diagnosed by doctor after my initial visit for Depression and Anxiety)

I started Viibryd at the beginning of February and switched to Pristiq last Friday. I don't want to try and scare anyone away from this drug but my experience with it was a nightmare.

I took it night so I'm not sure how the immediate side effects were since I usually went straight to sleep after I took it. I did the standard titration (first week: 10mg; second week: 20mg; third and fourth week: 40mg) so nothing out of the ordinary with the dosing. The first week went by pretty smoothly with life proceeding as normal.

BAM!!! Second week comes in. I start sleeping all the time. When I say all the time, I mean 16-20 hours a day. I woke up to eat and smoke and that's about it. Everything kind of went downhill from there.

My depression symptoms intensified. I started missing class (I'm in college) due to the oversleeping issue. I've missed the vast majority of my classes in February. I started impulsively spending money on stuff online to try and bring some form of happiness or contentment in my life. I was alone constantly so all I did was think about everything that I needed to be doing but wasn't. I kind of just descended into a hole of self-pity.

The anxiety began to take a very noticeable turn for the worst towards the end of the second week or beginning of the third. I started having crazy panic attacks whenever I was awake. I felt like everyone was disappointed in me for all the class and work I had missed. I don't just mean my boss and instructors, I'm talking about my peers also.(Note: I'm pretty sure the disappointment thing has always been then and intensified on behalf of the situation I was in and not from Viibryd.) I felt like I had no one and that I was worthless beyond believe.

I think that I also experienced these "head-zaps" that everyone is talking about. Although, head-zap isn't how I would describe it. It was more like all of my sense from all over my body (like feeling, hearing, tasting, thinking, etc.) were being pulled inside my head. It was intense stuff that I've never even heard about before. No one I tried to explain it to had any idea what I was talking about except my psychiatrist who told me that it was a result of my intense anxiety. He didn't say anything about the med. I also noticed that I would experience these "zaps" a lot more if I had forgotten to take the Viibryd the night before.

But anyways, this medicine didn't seem to help me at all. I'm not sure if it is to blame for my sudden worsening of symptoms or not but I know that it sure didn't help any of them get better. I'm happy to be off it and am now trying to get my life back together from where I left.

Sorry for the long post. It was a pretty long month and it feels good to vent.

tl;dr: I had the worst month of my life while on this medicine.

Amtram
03-06-13, 08:40 PM
Getting past the initial side effects seems to be the worst problem people have with this. I did stay on it long enough for them to subside, but starting this medication was a lot like coming off of an SSRI like Paxil.

thabaker
03-06-13, 09:14 PM
I haven't had any experiences with Paxil but I've had my share of SSRIs.
Let me get this straight. What you're saying is that the initial side effects from Viibryd are similar to SSRI withdrawal symptom? Am I right?

Amtram
03-07-13, 12:23 PM
Yep. The brain zaps, especially. That's something you see as a withdrawal symptom from pretty much any SSRI, but they were the worst for me with Paxil, and that seems to be a common experience for others as well.

thabaker
03-08-13, 05:44 AM
Scary. Actually it's kind of got me a little on edge now.
I've been switching between SSRI meds for the past four months now. My doc just switch me to Pristiq, which is an SSNRI if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be at risk for SSRI withdrawal, would I?
I feel kind of silly for asking. I don't really ask questions about anything. I usually just look for an answer where I think I can find it. If I can't, oh well. But right now, I already have the Reply box open and am feeling pretty tired.
:thankyou:

Amtram
03-08-13, 01:09 PM
It all depends on what you're switching to and what you're switching from. If the two medications act on the same serotonin receptors in your brain (there are several) then you can decrease one while increasing the other and experience minimal to no side effects. If they're working on different receptors, you may need to taper off one almost completely before starting the other, or you may have some unpleasant experiences while switching. As long as you allow sufficient time to decrease the medication you're stopping, the side effects will be easier to handle and stop sooner. Rushing it makes them worse, and they can hang on long after you've discontinued. Be patient.

thabaker
03-08-13, 02:48 PM
I think that sounds like the most probable explanation for what I've been going through for last month. At the beginning of February, my doctor switched me from Lexapro to Viibryd. There wasn't any tapering off the Lexapro, they just switched me immediately. I was on a low dose of Lexapro, just 10 mg while I think the recommended does is 20 mg, and I was on it for 2 months I think.
Ever since they made that switch I've been 100x more Depressed and Stressed out. I turned into a wreck and am having issues just getting out of the house on most days.
I've been off Viibryd and on Pristiq for a week now. I haven't noticed any improvements in how I feel and now I'm kind of nervous that the same thing is going to happen again with this recent switch.

Wow. I even heard about stuff like this happening before.
Could you possibly point me towards a website or something where I would be able to find out more about information about reactions like this?
Would a pharmacist be able to give me more information if I was to ask one about it? I really don't trust my doctor to give me the truth when he's the one who told me to do it in the first place.

Amtram
03-08-13, 05:22 PM
Actually, I'd suggest asking about the individual meds here. Pharmacists might be a good source, but there's no guarantee there. There are also discussion boards about medications in general or even specific medications, but they tend to be frequented by people who've had primarily negative experiences. You might get information that's alarming and probably incorrect.

Since depression is a frequent companion of ADHD, we have areas to discuss it, and areas that discuss the medications for it. You're more likely to get objective, practical information here.

bitstream
03-11-13, 10:26 PM
I have been on Viibryd since spring/summer 2012 for depression and the only side effect I had was about 2 weeks of diarrhea. Once that cleared up, it seems to do a good job of keeping me from getting too low.

Sadly (or fortunately, depending on how you want to look at it), I was diagnosed with adult ADHD-I in November. It made sense because my symptoms (inability to focus on a single task, easily distractible, not finishing tasks, and some executive cognative issues, etc) were a spot on match.

My doc has had me try Strattera and Adderall XR, neither of which have seemed to help much... and both have had mucho side effects.

Has anyone found a successful pairing with Viibryd? or maybe something similar that paired well to treat both depression and ADHD-I?

thabaker
03-15-13, 09:46 AM
Actually, I'd suggest asking about the individual meds here. Pharmacists might be a good source, but there's no guarantee there.
I'm going to heed your advice. I ended up calling and talking to a pharmacist (at least I think it was on pharmacist) last week. All they told me was that an interaction shouldn't have been experienced when I switched from Lexapro to Viibryd and that the dramatic switch shouldn't have caused any withdrawal symptoms. Oh well. I've been feeling better since I've been off the Viibryd.

My doc has had me try Strattera and Adderall XR, neither of which have seemed to help much... and both have had mucho side effects.
I can't say much for Adderall except things I've heard from other people but I have been on Strattera before. That stuff actually seemed to worsen my ADHD. I had to discontinue it because of that.

Has anyone found a successful pairing with Viibryd?
I was on Vyvanse while I took Viibryd. The Viibryd didn't seem to interfere with the effectiveness of the Vyvanse or vice-versa (unless the cocktail was responsible for my unpleasant experience).
From my experience with stimulants, if you continue to take them consistently at the prescribed dosage most of the side effects will go away. You've just got to stick with it.

greystealth
07-13-13, 11:47 PM
I have ADHD Combined type & General Anxiety Disorder. Previously, I was on 100mg of Zoloft & Dexedrine ER. I was OK with taking an anti-depressant at 100mg, because it is commonly prescribed at this dosage for anxiety.

However, since I was still a bit anxious on Zoloft and had sexual side effects, I switched to Viibryd. Been on it 5 days so far, and have no complaints, but am a little weirded out that I am supposed to go up to 40mg daily, which is the same dose given to people with depression (which I do not have.)

Further, I've read at least 15 horror stories of people who go up to 40mg and experience terrible anxiety, nausea, agitation, etc.

I seriously question my doctor's ability to treat me for giving me such a hardcore drug for my mild/moderate GAD. I'd like to get some opinions before drawing any conclusions for myself. Thanks,

tnpsyche
10-05-13, 09:59 PM
I took Viibryd for 16 months and just tapered off. My experience was that it made me seriously lethargic and killed my creativity. Sleeping 12-16 hours was not difficult or unusual, although I could never sleep more than 3 hours at a time. I felt tired all the time and REALLY foggy and unmotivated. I was also gaining weight. None of those things should be happening on 40mg/day adderall. And while I was less depressed, I wasn't normal either. Doc added Wellbutrin to the mix, and that helped my energy a little, but the mental fog didn't ever really lift.

I finally asked my doc about it and he said that there is some evidence that Viibryd is not a good med for folks with ADHD because there have been reports of sluggishness and lack of motivation. (Don't know the source on that, but he's a reputable doc).

I believe it. The difference in my spirit and motivation since I finished tapering last week is remarkable. I can't believe I lived in that fog for so long! My appetite has decreased, my sleeping is normal, and I'm starting to get work done again and enjoy it!

The downside is that my anxiety increased a little - without the "fog" I felt really emotionally raw. But that's getting better, too. I'm going to try to manage that with visteril instead of a daily med.

Warning: taper this off very slowly. I tried to cut from 40 to 20 and I was a sick mess. So I cut from 40 - 30 - 25 - 20 - 15 - 10 - 5 ...every 5 days. It took a month but I had no withdraw problems.
Ask your doc for the sample pack that you used to taper up to do this easily.

I also take lamictal for PTSD (225mg) and wellbutrin (300 mg) for depression.

heidii
10-05-17, 12:51 PM
Viibryd makes extremely tired and sleepy, I was also taking rexulti with it and it made it worse, after taking that vyvance now doesnt work at all. :(