View Full Version : Anyone tried hypnotherapy?

Cranski
08-02-12, 10:42 PM
Just wondering as it is listed as a viable treatment.

I imagine for inattentive it would have to be a very shiny or bedazzled watch to keep their attention. As for hyperactive they would be to busy imagining if they owned that watch and how fancy their life might be with it. Maybe someone in the middle with both traits?

sarahsweets
08-03-12, 07:00 AM
There is always a debate that surrounds "natural treatments" for adhd but meds have been shown to be the most effective especially when combined with therapy.

PookDo
08-04-12, 03:46 PM
There is always a debate that surrounds "natural treatments" for adhd but meds have been shown to be the most effective especially when combined with therapy.

what kind of therapy

namazu
08-04-12, 04:19 PM
Just wondering as it is listed as a viable treatment.

I imagine for inattentive it would have to be a very shiny or bedazzled watch to keep their attention. As for hyperactive they would be to busy imagining if they owned that watch and how fancy their life might be with it. Maybe someone in the middle with both traits?
My old pdoc was trained in hypnotherapy, which she kept in her arsenal along with CBT and meds and other approaches.

She said that while hypnotherapy was helpful for some conditions, she did not feel it was a valid or useful treatment for ADHD itself.

Since hypnotherapy is about changing ingrained ideas and perspectives, it can sometimes help with those -- but ADHD is primarily a problem of execution, not of ideation. (She mentioned that it could be helpful for anxiety, and I could imagine it also being useful for secondary things like self-esteem issues or self-doubt.)

She did try it with me once, since I have a comorbid anxiety disorder that was causing a lot of problems. But even with meds, my mind was all over the place, and it was kind of a joke. I sketched a "map" later of my mind-wanderings during the supposed hypnosis session, which gave us both a laugh, and we didn't bother with it again...

PookDo
08-04-12, 04:42 PM
My old pdoc was trained in hypnotherapy, which she kept in her arsenal along with CBT and meds and other approaches.

She said that while hypnotherapy was helpful for some conditions, she did not feel it was a valid or useful treatment for ADHD itself.

Since hypnotherapy is about changing ingrained ideas and perspectives, it can sometimes help with those -- but ADHD is primarily a problem of execution, not of ideation. (She mentioned that it could be helpful for anxiety, and I could imagine it also being useful for secondary things like self-esteem issues or self-doubt.)

She did try it with me once, since I have a comorbid anxiety disorder that was causing a lot of problems. But even with meds, my mind was all over the place, and it was kind of a joke. I sketched a "map" later of my mind-wanderings during the supposed hypnosis session, which gave us both a laugh, and we didn't bother with it again...

What is CBT?

CheekyMonkey
08-04-12, 04:46 PM
What is CBT?

Cognitive-behavioral therapy- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapeutic approach that addresses dysfunctional emotions, behaviors, and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic process. The name refers to behavior therapy, cognitive therapy, and to therapy based upon a combination of basic behavioral and cognitive research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

PookDo
08-04-12, 05:41 PM
Cognitive-behavioral therapy- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a psychotherapeutic approach that addresses dysfunctional emotions, behaviors, and cognitions through a goal-oriented, systematic process. The name refers to behavior therapy, cognitive therapy, and to therapy based upon a combination of basic behavioral and cognitive research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

Sounds like something I may need

mctavish23
08-04-12, 11:36 PM
Moi has been trained in hypnotherapy.

I don't use it very often. Instead, I use Relaxation Training with Guided Imagery and

CBT Thought Stopping. There's not much difference between the two really, but it's

simply easier for me to use this approach.

Having said that, I don't use either for ADHD treatment.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Andi
08-04-12, 11:44 PM
Robert, how do you manage an ADDer with relaxation training? I have tried and failed miserably because I can't stop my mind from spinning. No matter how hard I try to hyperfocus on something, it's just a flood of thoughts and images. Sure, some say it's bipolar racing thoughts but perhaps you can share some guidance on technique.

doiadhd
08-05-12, 12:43 AM
Isn't hypnotism a form of contacting the inner child,the inner us? The part of the brain we use mostly. Not sure if thats a good guess or if i just made that up.

mctavish23
08-05-12, 11:09 AM
I'm not my friend.

I don't use it for ADHD.

I use it for excessive anxiety, and Trauma Focused CBT.

I really don't know anything about "inner children," as that's a long way from

my style.

Hope that helps.

u r welcome :cool:

PS

I'm surprised no one went.... YOU...HYPNOTIZE ME ? :faint:

My wife always goes... "No way. You'll make me cluck like a chicken ."

My response is usually..."No. More like yodeling polka on You Tube." :D

Andi
08-07-12, 11:10 PM
Note that I completely missed that you said you don't use it for ADHD. Doh:doh: