View Full Version : What's the best computer out there, right now?

anonymouslyadd
08-03-12, 02:35 PM
I'm thinking about buying a computer and want to know of a computer that's the fastest, most durable, economical, etc.

I'm not interested in purchasing a mac. The computer will be used to do video editing, possibly photo editing and for general use.

Drewbacca
08-03-12, 03:23 PM
Is there a Fry's Electronics near you? I'd just go there and see what they have. Maybe build one up yourself.

If you want to go the online route or read reviews, NewEgg is the best online retailer.

sarek
08-03-12, 03:28 PM
I dont think there is a big difference between the major name brands any more. Your biggest decision will be which form factor you want, whether its tablet, laptop, desktop or tower pc. Each has its own specific pros and cons.

Factor two is what kind of software you require it to run. If you dont want mac it wil be either a windows machine or a linux machine. Nowadays, many linux distros are quite easy to install and use and pretty much match or even outperform windows machines.

Currently, my main machine is an ASUS laptop under windows 7 and I am quite satisfied with it.

Drewbacca
08-03-12, 03:42 PM
Adobe Premiere CS6 requirements:

Windows

Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit)
4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
4GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10GB recommended)
1280x900 display
OpenGL 2.0–capable system
7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)
Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
Optional: Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
This software will not operate without activation. Broadband Internet connection and registration are required for software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.* Phone activation is not available.

Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus™ configuration
Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro 2000 (Windows)
Quadro 2000D (Windows)
Quadro 2000M (Windows)
Quadro 3000M (Windows)
Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro 4000M (Windows)
Quadro 5000 (Windows)
Quadro 5000M (Windows)
Quadro 5010M (Windows)
Quadro 6000 (Windows)
Quadro CX (Windows)
Tesla C2075** (Windows)

justtim
08-03-12, 03:51 PM
That's kind of a tricky question, depending on what you want to do with it.

- Are you just looking to do email and web surfing?
- Need to work with spreadsheets and documents?
- Doing design work, like CAD?
- Want a powerhouse gaming system?

Each of these situations will get you a different answer. I by 4-5 computers a year and have tried many brands. My personal experience is that Dell are very high quality and I use those in my office exclusively now.

If you're going for a gamer system and cost is no object check out Alienware.

However if you are somewhat technical and don't mind buying individual components you'll get the most bang for your buck building one yourself.

TheChemicals
08-03-12, 05:04 PM
Amd chipsets are affordable and have lots of power.

anonymouslyadd
08-03-12, 05:30 PM
That's kind of a tricky question, depending on what you want to do with it.

- Are you just looking to do email and web surfing?
- Need to work with spreadsheets and documents?
- Doing design work, like CAD?
- Want a powerhouse gaming system?

Each of these situations will get you a different answer. I by 4-5 computers a year and have tried many brands. My personal experience is that Dell are very high quality and I use those in my office exclusively now.

If you're going for a gamer system and cost is no object check out Alienware.

However if you are somewhat technical and don't mind buying individual components you'll get the most bang for your buck building one yourself.
I don't want something for gaming. I want to be able to edit videos and photographs as well as use word and other basic programs. I might dabble in website design too.

I'm going with a minimum of 8GB, for sure. I really like what the Sony's have to offer, and they seem to have some good reviews.

Rebelyell
08-03-12, 05:33 PM
:lol:my BRAIN!:giggle::yes: oh wait no:doh::giggle:

justtim
08-03-12, 05:35 PM
I don't want something for gaming. I want to be able to edit videos and photographs as well as use word and other basic programs. I might dabble in website design too.

I'm going with a minimum of 8GB, for sure. I really like what the Sony's have to offer, and they seem to have some good reviews.

FWIW, I was recently talking to a guy that works in corporate IT and repairs computers. He said the Sony computers, especially laptops, have the highest failure of any brand they work with. He said the design of them encourages the exhaust vent to get blocked and the components get too hot and fail prematurely. He recommended Dell and Lenovo as the two most reliable brands he works with.

Drewbacca
08-03-12, 06:47 PM
FWIW, I was recently talking to a guy that works in corporate IT and repairs computers. He said the Sony computers, especially laptops, have the highest failure of any brand they work with. He said the design of them encourages the exhaust vent to get blocked and the components get too hot and fail prematurely. He recommended Dell and Lenovo as the two most reliable brands he works with.

It's best to judge each computer on a case by case basis and not by brand as the designs and parts vary.

Generally, Lenova, Toshiba, ASUS, and Alienware(dell) get the best reviews for laptops.

I don't think it matters so much with desktops.

ConcertaParent
08-03-12, 08:06 PM
My personal experience is that Dell are very high quality and I use those in my office exclusively now. +1. I have always bought Dell desktops or laptop, and they all lasted years longer than I expected. I want a solid state drive in my next desktop and Dell does not have good SSD options, so I may buy a custom-built system at NCIX when Windows 8 comes out.

Amtram
08-03-12, 09:14 PM
Add Acer to the bottom of the list, too. I have a love/hate relationship with HP, too. I love what they do in the beginning, and what they have the potential to do, but then things that aren't supposed to break break, way earlier than you'd think possible - within hours of the warranty running out.

Drewbacca
08-03-12, 09:25 PM
Add Acer to the bottom of the list, too. I have a love/hate relationship with HP, too. I love what they do in the beginning, and what they have the potential to do, but then things that aren't supposed to break break, way earlier than you'd think possible - within hours of the warranty running out.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244481/desktop_pc_reliability_and_satisfaction_dell_and_h p_home_pcs_get_poor_grades.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400792,00.asp

http://www.rescuecom.com/news-press-releases/computer-reliability-report-2012-Q2.aspx

tipoo
08-03-12, 10:37 PM
That's an extremely subjective question, for some the best computer will be a beastly desktop, for some it might be a slim ultrabook they can carry everywhere.

You said you want to edit videos, how hardcore are you into that? How much storage do you need? Do you do it enough that a high end processor is a must, or should it just be capable enough to do it sometimes while the rest of the time it's just a facebook/word/internet machine?

How much will you be carrying it around? If barely at all, favour power, if a lot, favour portability. I like ultrabooks since they are powerful enough for most common tasks, they have solid state drives rather than typical mechanical hard drives which make them zippy in everyday things like starting up, opening programs, etc, and they are really light and usually have good battery life.

Again though it depends on how hardcore you are into that video/photo editing, if you do a lot something with a quad core would be better.

Here are some good choices - best ultrabooks

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-ultrabooks/

best desktop replacements -

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-desktop-replacements/

Best midsize -

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-mainstream-laptops/

Among the ultrabooks (light ones) I like the Sony T, among the desktop replacement class laptops I like the Samsung Series 7, former for portable, latter for performance.

Sorry if I geek ranted a bit, I'll do that now and again :D

Cranski
08-03-12, 11:23 PM
You could use something like I have to simply do advanced photo and video editing.

Samsung RF711

Its a powerhouse, either way for gaming or not. Your biggest concern should be a good VGA card and Ram. Most processors won't make any difference. Anything capable of 3.0; i express capable chipset as my 2.6 8 core goes to 3.6.

If you can get the higher end VGA card with 2gig of dedicated ram. Would be benificial to your video editing and processing.

Some good large discount chains are tigerdirect, newegg, and compusa. I've seen good consumer reviews on amazon aswell.:doh:

anonymouslyadd
08-04-12, 01:58 AM
Now I'm questioning myself with the post about the Sony. I need to find my consumer reports mag...

Edit:

I also like the fact that Sony has its own video/photo editing programs built into the laptop. Not that that means it's any good, but I like it.:)

anonymouslyadd
08-04-12, 02:02 AM
That's an extremely subjective question, for some the best computer will be a beastly desktop, for some it might be a slim ultrabook they can carry everywhere.

You said you want to edit videos, how hardcore are you into that? How much storage do you need? Do you do it enough that a high end processor is a must, or should it just be capable enough to do it sometimes while the rest of the time it's just a facebook/word/internet machine?

How much will you be carrying it around? If barely at all, favour power, if a lot, favour portability. I like ultrabooks since they are powerful enough for most common tasks, they have solid state drives rather than typical mechanical hard drives which make them zippy in everyday things like starting up, opening programs, etc, and they are really light and usually have good battery life.

Again though it depends on how hardcore you are into that video/photo editing, if you do a lot something with a quad core would be better.
I don't know that I'll be "hardcore" into editing photos or videos, but I would like to explore it. I work with a band and video their gigs. So, I have small clips that I might like to get creative with. I would also like to explore photo editing as needed.

This is not something I anticipate carrying around. Funny, I'm just so used to having a lap top, which is why I'm probably thinking of getting another one. Still, it would be nice to have one to travel with, if necessary.

I want speed, speed and more speed. That's so important to me. I want it to be fast.

Drewbacca
08-04-12, 02:34 AM
Some good large discount chains are tigerdirect, newegg, and compusa. I've seen good consumer reviews on amazon aswell.:doh:

Just a consumer FYI for everyone reading this thread. If you are ever in doubt about an online store, see if they are listed at ResellerRatings: http://www.resellerratings.com/

Another useful site for all sorts of things:
http://www.consumersearch.com/desktop-computers/review

anonymouslyadd
08-04-12, 03:11 AM
I think I'm going Toshiba.

Toshiba - 15.6" Satellite Laptop - 8GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Champagne Silver

Amtram
08-04-12, 12:51 PM
I like that you pointed out the color. . .heh.

tipoo
08-04-12, 03:42 PM
But not the processor, which is possibly the most important component
"What kind of car do you drive?"
"Silver"
;)

Full specifications?

Amtram
08-04-12, 05:53 PM
I would say that. . .

Drewbacca
08-04-12, 06:33 PM
Looks like it's from bestbuy when I search... therefor the color being included while the CPU isn't would be bestbuy's idea.

Have you considered the Lenovo IdeaPad Y570? (last year) $700
or better yet this year's model IdeaPad Y580 Laptop - 209945U - Dawn Gray
Given the specs, the Y580 is well worth the extra $250... especially when looking at screen resolution and 3rd party graphics.

3rd generation Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor( 2.30GHz 6MB)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX660M 2GB
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
15.6" FHD LED Glare Wedge 1920x1080
500GB 7200 rpm
Blu-ray/DVD-RW
$999

Amtram
08-04-12, 11:22 PM
Drewbacca, you are such a geek! :giggle:

(I mean that in the nicest way, of course!)

anonymouslyadd
08-05-12, 12:12 AM
I can't read anyone else's posts!!!!!!! I don't want to think I made a bad decision.

I did get the Toshiba I posted about, earlier. Here are the specs for it (my bold for what I felt was pertinent):

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited

Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year limited

Product Height 1.2"

Product Width 15.2"

Product Weight 5.4 lbs.

Product Depth 9.9"

Processor Brand Intel®

Processor Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7

Processor Speed 2.3GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz)

Battery Type 6-cell lithium-ion

Display Type High-definition widescreen LED-backlit TFT-LCD with TruBrite technology (1366 x 768)

Screen Size (Measured Diagonally) 15.6"

Cache Memory 6MB on die Level 3

System Memory (RAM) 8GB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 16GB

Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3

Hard Drive Type SATA (5400 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size 750GB

Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW

Optical Drive Speeds 6x DVD+R DL; 6x DVD-R DL; 8x8x8 DVD+RW; 8x6x8 DVD-RW;
5x DVD-RAM; 24x16x24 CD-RW

Direct-Disc Labeling No

Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
Graphics Intel® HD

Video Memory 64 - 1696MB (shared)

TV Tuner No

MPEG Yes

Built-in Webcam Yes

Modem None

Networking Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking Wireless-B+G+N

Bluetooth-Enabled No

S-Video Outputs None

Audio Slipstream technology; SRS Premium Sound 3D
Speakers Internal

PCMCIA Slots None

USB 2.0 Ports 4 USB 3.0

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports None

Parallel Ports None

Game Ports None

Laptop Weight Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)

Battery Life Up to 5 hours and 30 minutes

Pointing Device Synaptics ClickPad touchpad with multitouch control

HDMI Output Yes

Blu-ray Player No

Operating System Platform Windows

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium

System Version 64-bit

Included Software Adobe Acrobat Reader, Adobe Flash Player; Microsoft Windows Media Player 12 and more

ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes

Best Buy PC App No

Graphics Chip Intel

Drive Capacity 750GB

Graphics Card Intel® HD

Wireless Display Yes

UPC 022265191873

Drewbacca
08-05-12, 05:37 AM
You're fine. Just enjoy it and don't think twice about your decision. That is, assuming that you paid $750 or less for it (before taxes). If you paid more than that, you might want to reconsider.

tipoo
08-05-12, 10:02 AM
Yep, that's a fast processor. More than adequate.

tipoo
08-05-12, 10:03 AM
Drewbacca, you are such a geek! :giggle:

(I mean that in the nicest way, of course!)

Wait, people can mean geek in a bad way?! I wear the term with pride :D