View Full Version : Sour Fruit for Focus

mystery
08-04-12, 04:26 PM
I am experimenting with sour fruits to provide both focus and a lot of energy, much like an ADHD stimulant. This is to provide a lot of energy that I can use very well, better than energy from sweet fruit. Protein-rich foods like meat provide focus, but not at a high-energy state. Below is more detail. See the further down this post for a list of suggested fruits and how to take them. My concept of what is actually happening here will probably seem outlandish...

The Detail

Sour fruit seems to help provide a greatly more focus inducing energy than other fruits. Fresh fruit provides lots of energy and is like a stimulant. This isn't just because of the sugar content, but also because of the energy state it provides or maybe even induces into the one consuming it. That energy state was imparted into the fruit from the plant it came from. This may be too much energy for us with ADHD, PI or hyperactive, to use. However, the sourness seems to help me contract that energy and use it. The sour taste is related to the energy state of the food. When consumed, our body brings out that energy state during digestion. Sweetness and sourness may be correlated to stimulation and focus. Or also to boundless energy, and focused or compacted/contracted energy.

There is a link here to ADHD medication. The stimulant medications provide energy, but also seem to allow us to focus that energy. You need both some stimulation energy, and also some ability to focus, control, or use that energy. Fresh sweet fruit imparts a lot of energy into us when consuming it, what might be a boundless energetic energy state. It is like a stimulant. Sourness may be the key to being able to focus and use that energy. It may be possible that the plants that produce really sour fruit did so to benefit animals that needed a vast amount of energy that they could use or focus well. These animals may have favored the fruits that gave them this energetic state, and over a long time this led to the extreme of a lemon or lime fruit.

Sour Fruits

Sour fruits in rough order of sourness, and probably focus inducing ability (not exhaustive list, please comment with more):
Lemon
Lime
Tart cherries
Cranberry
Raspberries or blackberries
Plums, sour varieties
Grapefruit (possible link of bitterness & focus)
Pineapple
Tart apples
Strawberries
Plantain (somewhat tart)
Orange

Suggested Start

For a start, try juicing a lemon, lime, or both and dilute with about 5 parts water to juice (filtered or spring water is best) or whatever suites your taste. Don't add any sugar for experimenting at first. Try drinking at least a whole lemon or lime amount on an empty stomach, but not if you are hungry or haven't eaten enough food recently. You need to support the energy, and there just isn't much sugar in a single lemon to do this. It's like this will amp up your body and brain and allow you to contract or focus the energy being generated. All fruit has the effect of a stimulant, but this sour fruit may have more the effect like an ADHD medication because of the focus-inducing ability.

Suggested Culinary Plan

As a far more palatable long-term option you may consider adding sour fruits or their juices when cooking, or blend lemon and lime juice with other fruit juices. They can add a tasty complement to many foods. Sour or tart fruits can be blended with sweet fruits; this makes some really good smoothies. Pickles can be added to or eaten with lots of foods, though these would provide focus without much stimulation. Sauerkraut complements other foods well, especially meats. A vinegar based salad dressing with salad could be considered also for focus without much stimulation. Add some sweet fruit to said salad for some stimulation. Sour creme can be added to lots of foods, though has lower energy state. Mustard is an obvious sour addition to complement foods.

For Future Discussion

Vegetables that have a sour, bitter, or pungent taste like radish, kohl-rabi, artichoke, tomato, ginger, etc.

mystery
08-04-12, 05:59 PM
More on Amount

I suggested 1 lemon or lime juiced as a starting point preferably only mixed with water diluted with at least 5 parts water to 1 part juice. If there isn't any effect from taken this on an empty stomach then one can try more lemons or limes until an effect is noticed. It is good to start lightly to see how your stomach and the rest of your digestive system reacts before attempting a mega dose. If you have any stomach or digestive issues then you might want to dilute the juice more, or take this with a meal. I have not researched how this will effect the stomach/esophagus long term or what kind of conditions it can aggravate.

CheekyMonkey
08-04-12, 06:13 PM
More on Amount

I suggested 1 lemon or lime juiced as a starting point preferably only mixed with water diluted with at least 5 parts water to 1 part juice. If there isn't any effect from taken this on an empty stomach then one can try more lemons or limes until an effect is noticed. It is good to start lightly to see how your stomach and the rest of your digestive system reacts before attempting a mega dose. If you have any stomach or digestive issues then you might want to dilute the juice more, or take this with a meal. I have not researched how this will effect the stomach/esophagus long term or what kind of conditions it can aggravate.

My GI doctor has me drinking the juice of 1 lemon in 16 ounces of warm water, with some honey every morning. My gallbladder was freaking out and I have a lot of damage from Celiac disease, the lemon juice helps everything get moving before I eat. I've found it very beneficial. Not sure if it helps my focus, but it does make me feel better. :nod:

mystery
08-04-12, 10:03 PM
The 1 to 5 dilution ratio is only a suggestion for beginning. I would assume a higher concentration would yield a stronger effect. Consider what effect you get, taste preference, and how your throat and stomach hold up. Some people eat pure lemon fruit :eek:. My throat would get sore in the past from drinking too much orange juice.

My GI doctor has me drinking the juice of 1 lemon in 16 ounces of warm water, with some honey every morning. My gallbladder was freaking out and I have a lot of damage from Celiac disease, the lemon juice helps everything get moving before I eat. I've found it very beneficial. Not sure if it helps my focus, but it does make me feel better. :nod:

What prompted my interest in this was some digestion stagnation. Sour food gets something in there working and moving in the right direction and it feels right. I seem to feel a kind of lightness from it, and maybe it is making digestion a lot easier for me.

doiadhd
08-05-12, 12:07 AM
I believe spicy foods also help,as in curry and chilli,love that stuff. I get a free mini salad with it,which comes with a lemon and the last couple of times i've had curry i've squeezed the lemon into water,and really enjoyed it,never thought of it as stimulating before,must have been why i enjoyed it so much. Cherry tomatoes,and sweet pickles i eat by the box/jar load! Love salad. Gone off fruit lately though.

tudorose
08-05-12, 01:14 AM
Even though lemon juice us acidic it creates an alkalising effect within the body because of it's very low sugar content. I use lemon juice on salads rather than salad dressing.

mystery
08-05-12, 11:51 PM
I believe spicy foods also help,as in curry and chilli,love that stuff. I get a free mini salad with it,which comes with a lemon and the last couple of times i've had curry i've squeezed the lemon into water,and really enjoyed it,never thought of it as stimulating before,must have been why i enjoyed it so much. Cherry tomatoes,and sweet pickles i eat by the box/jar load! Love salad. Gone off fruit lately though.

I can't get enough of chili pepper that is common where I live. It is made into a sauce, and added to a lot of foods, almost anything. This is different from bean and ground beef chili, but that is good too. A lot of Indian food is spicy and distinct in flavor. Spicy food is pretty stimulating for me. I really enjoy tomatoes and love garden grown ones. It is a fun journey to explore the effect of different foods.