View Full Version : Getting a diagnosis from a real doc online?

StabMe
08-06-12, 07:22 AM
I live in a country where ADHD is officially doesn't exist. Only a few medications are available here and docs are usually reluctant to diagnose it. Although i found a young doctor(esse) who agreed i have ADHD and prescribed Strattera for me, i would still like to get a diagnosis from a doc with experience of treating adults with this disorder. Also, since only in 25% of people ADHD comes alone with no other disorders, i would like to be checked for comorbidities.

So i was thinking, maybe it is possible to get a diagnosis online? From i've read and know, diagnosing ADHD mostly implies answering questions and filling questionnaires/tests. So, i guess it is possible to do over the net. I just don't see how it can be limiting for a doc to get me evaluated.

I am not looking to get a script or something. I just want to be tested by an experienced doctor who has knowledge in Adult ADHD to check me and maybe recommend treatment.

Been struggling with 80% symptoms and just want to know for myself.

Can someone recommend a doc who would actually do this?

sarahsweets
08-06-12, 09:58 AM
sometimes if not always, its good to physically see a doctor so he or she can evaulate if you are physically hyperactive, disorganized with your speech or screen for other disorders since adhd mimics so many things.

CheekyMonkey
08-06-12, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure. Even if you did, how would you get your prescriptions?

StabMe
08-06-12, 12:14 PM
@sarahsweets

No doubt about that. But travelling to get a diagnosis is not an option right now and won't be in near future.

@CheekyMonkey

Well, quite honestly, i don't mind ordering from online pharmacies that do not require prescriptions, as long as the medication in recommended by an experienced professional.

namazu
08-06-12, 12:49 PM
There are a lot of ethical and liability issues (http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/07/02/prsm0702.htm) for doctors offering telemedicine services.

In psychiatry, where there is generally less emphasis on physical symptoms, it seems like telemedicine might be more viable. (This has even been proposed as one answer to the severe shortage of psychiatrists in the rural U.S.)

However, even in psychiatry, and even with videoconferencing, monitoring medications without being able to check a person's pulse, heartbeat, or blood pressure, if needed, poses problems. As SarahSweets mentioned, being unable to observe the patient's natural "body language" also makes it more difficult to detect clues about anxiety, restlessness, depression, and so on.

That said, if you type "telepsychiatry" into a search engine, you may find some doctors who will evaluate patients online.

Still, there's no guarantee that these doctors will be any more knowledgable about ADHD or comorbid conditions than the doctor you found locally.

Also, whether these doctors will do international consultations, or how much it may cost, I also have no idea.

You may have better (or equally good) results working with the doctor you have.

If you feel that the diagnosis is incorrect, or you are having problems that the doctor does not address even after you mention them, would it be possible to get a second opinion from another local doctor? (I understand that another local doctor is also likely to be uninformed about ADHD, but perhaps s/he may be knowledgable about coexisting conditions like depression, anxiety, or other issues, and could provide a helpful perspective.)

Best wishes to you. It is difficult to deal with ADHD even in a place where it is recognized in adults and knowledgable clinicians are available. I can only imagine how it must be to try to deal with ADHD in a place where it is hardly recognized.

StabMe
08-06-12, 10:06 PM
namazu,

Thank you for suggestions. I will look into telepsychiatry thing and maybe i will find someone experienced/reputable.